JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My son is interested in purchasing a 10.5" 300 BLK pistol that would be SBR'ed later. I do not know much about them, so thought I would ask. He is thinking of getting a complete upper and lower from Aero for about $1000, but would like to know of other quality makers around this price. Thank you in advance!

It's been a few years since I built a rifle or pistol but, back then aero was always great quality for the price. Not sure how their prices are today compared to others but if it's still mid level price I say it's definitely worth it. My 10.5" 300blk pistol runs flawless suppressed and is my favorite gun I own fwiw

I built one w/ a 10.5 barrel all Milspec stuff, in pistol form. It's a solid platform, but spendy to shoot unless he's reloading them.

I built one with an Aero upper and lower, Aero bolt and bits, Ballistic Advantage 10.3" Hanson barrel, and an ALG trigger. With 220gr subs through my Omega, it's pretty much Hollywood quiet. Very fun to shoot. 100% reliable to date.

Edited to add - to better answer your original question, IMHO Aero assembled uppers / lowers are GTG. I think they're typically the best quality for the price. One man's opinion....

In the FWIW department, 2A Warehouse has had some decent deals on reman ammo, though currently OOS. I've shot a bunch, runs fine. SGAmmo prices currently start at $0.75 a round and go from there.

Last Edited:
My son is interested in purchasing a 10.5" 300 BLK pistol that would be SBR'ed later. I do not know much about them, so thought I would ask. He is thinking of getting a complete upper and lower from Aero for about $1000, but would like to know of other quality makers around this price. Thank you in advance!
I'm a big fan of Aero. My first pistol build was a 300blk. All Aero with a BA barrel. I would have trusted my life to it if needed. Actually took a nice buck with it one year.

Not sure it'd be my go to for home defense, unless my neighbors were a ways away from me.

Heading down the line from Aero, I'd say PSA. Down the line from PSA, I'd say BCA.

If he plans on running suppressed at any point then I would do an adjustable gas block from the git.

Last Edited:
To echo what others have said, aero is solid stuff. I have a 300blk built with an aero upper and lower with a BA 10.5 inch barrel. I run it suppressed with subsonic ammo and it's ridiculously fun to shoot. I opted for a JP silent captured spring for adjustability as well as quietness. It's been such a solid firearm, that I don't really think I'd change a thing if I built it again.

300 Blackout has the interesting benefit of retaining a large amount of force with shorter barrels due to the powder burning especially fast. You can find various tests and charts online comparing barrel-length, ammo, velocity, etc. You'll see that 300 BO is still effective even down to 5" barrel length, with the best gains coming between that and up to about 9" barrel, and diminishing returns per-inch after that. If "home protection" is a significant use-case, then I would suggest a shorter barrel for better maneuverability and ergonomics. I would recommend PSA before Aero just because PSA is for the people and deserve the support. They offer the JAKL (long-stroke) in 300BO in that price range.

You'll always benefit from a longer barrel in terms of velocity and energy. It's a matter of personal preference as to how much you want to give up for the handiness of the the smaller size. 10.5" is still pretty handy size. Especially if it's a brn-180 or other bufferless model where the whole gun is the same size as an mp5 (when both have their braces/stocks folded). I have a pic somewhere of my brn-180 .223 next to an mp5 clone and it's within about 1/2". Probably equal if mp5 had a flash hider.

The benefit from 300BO over 556 is when using short barrels cuz 300 BO has more energy to begin with (see chart below, the blue line is 300 BO) so even though it loses energy as it gets smaller it's still has more than 556. 2nd benefit is shooting subsonics. You still have an effective round when shooting subs vs with 556 you pretty much are at 22LR energy levels when shooting subsonic.

Here is the energy chart of 300blk and .223 by barrel size

D14ECC21-7A96-4884-8D5B-923B770D57AA.jpeg

Last Edited:
I'm a big fan of Aero. My first pistol build was a 300blk. All Aero with a BA barrel. I would have trusted my life to it if needed. Actually took a nice buck with it one year.

Not sure it'd be my go to for home defense, unless my neighbors were a ways away from me.

Heading down the line from Aero, I'd say PSA. Down the line from PSA, I'd say BCA.

If he plans on running suppressed at any point then I would do an adjustable gas block from the git.
By chance do you know if the dead air wolf man 9mm suppressor works for 300BLK subsonic? I always assumed any 9mm is pretty much ok for 300Blk if shooting subsonic but haven't researched it yet.

By chance do you know if the dead air wolf man 9mm suppressor works for 300BLK subsonic? I always assumed any 9mm is pretty much ok for 300Blk if shooting subsonic but haven't researched it yet.
As far I know, yes it does. Pretty sure a guy I used to shoot with ran one on his 300.

I like the Omega 9k personally.

Dang... silencer shop has the Wolfman on sale.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top