JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You should really take a look at the Bersa Thunder [Review], ticks nearly every box.

eag_T9DTP10.jpg

If you have already trained on a 1911 for this long, why not just stay with that? Just find a 9mm model in your price range. Not sure if you're in the Les Baer range or the Springfield Armory range? In both of those options they make an amazing 9mm 1911.

10round mags are pretty standard for Commander-sized 1911's. The SA Range Officer "Operator" has a rail. Though I don't think they have a 9mm 4" with a rail.

The SIG C3, the gun you mentioned, is an outstanding 1911 iteration - an officers alloy frame with a commander slide. I have many full size 1911s and even the lite bullseye 45 loads produce more recoil than a factory 115gr 9mm(in the 1911 government model configuration). I often shoot a 9mm 1911 for fun. The Springfield version of the officers model in 9mm is worthy of consideration. It, the Range Officer Compact, would not be and expensive experiment and would be easy to flip if you find it does not measure up.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-range-officer-compact-9mm/

Someone else already suggested armscor 9mm 1911. They also make a combo version that comes with a 9mm barrel and a TCM22 barrel. The latter is really easy on the recoil but still hard hitting due to velocity. Just an idea ...
<broken link removed>

One more option: an FN 57. Again, very light recoil, but very good penetration (there are videos with the civilian 27gr round go through bullet proof glass), ME of 350 ft-lbf, and lightweight which makes it easier to carry for extended periods of time. It's a full size gun, but I have seen custom kydex holsters that will take good care of tight "non-printing" carry, even with tactical light/laser attached. I am actually considering one myself.

<broken link removed>

Holsters

<broken link removed>

The only downside is the esoteric caliber, similar to the armscor TCM22 (which is only made by armscor) the FN 57 round is made by only a few. The round is also significantly more pricey (50 cents a round) than a 9mm.

Thanks again to you guys for the responses to my original posts (#1 & #13) re my looking for suggestions and opinions on a pistol to replace my Sig 1911 c3.
I' m just about ready to do the following:...........
A local FFL holder is willing to take my Sig 1911 C3 (w/ it's custom holster and 120 230gr FMJ Rounds)) and will in return, get me a NIB S&W, M&P,C9, with the external Safety (which I want), AND a Crimson Trace Green Laser (recommended for the Rail on the C9), and 200 9mm 115gr JHP rounds -----no money involved.

Thanks again to you guys for the responses to my original posts (#1 & #13) re my looking for suggestions and opinions on a pistol to replace my Sig 1911 c3.
I' m just about ready to do the following:...........
A local FFL holder is willing to take my Sig 1911 C3 (w/ it's custom holster and 120 230gr FMJ Rounds)) and will in return, get me a NIB S&W, M&P,C9, with the external Safety (which I want), AND a Crimson Trace Green Laser (recommended for the Rail on the C9), and 200 9mm 115gr JHP rounds -----no money involved.

Cuz he's making out like a bandit IMO.

I'd look at getting the Sig rechambered in 9mm...

Hopefully you will able to at least handle the S&W before you agree to this deal as it is a double stack, as you had stated you have very small hands.

Just for a comparison, here is a photo I borrowed to show you the difference in grip between the 9c and the PPS.
MP40vsPPS_online.jpg

Hopefully you will able to at least handle the S&W before you agree to this deal as it is a double stack, as you had stated you have very small hands.

Just for a comparison, here is a photo I borrowed to show you the difference in grip between the 9c and the PPS.
View attachment 283009
Love the PPS cocking indicator. It also protrudes and you can feel it with your thumb while holstering or otherwise handling the gun in the dark. Neither the M&P nor the PPS are very light on recoil though. Both light guns, and thus quite snappy ...

Any chance you could download your .45acp loads to make it more comfortable to shoot while still maintaining a good defensive ft/lbs energy?
Mmmmm, I load 2.8gr to 3gr of Titewad (special load, you have to look it up at Hogdon) with 230gr .45ACP in my 1911 with a reduced power recoil spring. They are nice and soft but still at the edge of what I can handle nowadays with my arthritic hands and thumb joints. A day at IDPA with 100 rounds downrange leaves me looking for Advil.

My Ruger SR9c and Glock 34 are both considerably less recoil even with full power 9mm loads. In my opinion, a guy that has handles .45 might be able to handle a polymer 9mm, see if you can shoot one somewhere. Anyway, SR9c (compact) has a manual safety, you really don't need it (some versions come w/o) 3.5" barrel , I love mine (double taps almost in the same hole at 7yds, my buddies were amazed and wanted to shoot it), and it is a double stack but with a slim grip design (so slim I had to add a Hogue sleeve to mine, and I have medium hands). Comes with 10shot and 17shot mags. Heft one at the gun store. The Ruger SR9, full size has a 4.25" barrel. :) I have one in my end table drawer by the TV chair, (don't have to worry about a 1911 safety clicking off with rattling around) and a Judge in the nightstand but that is another story even with reduced power PDX1 loads.

You could go to a S&W Shield but they do not have a rail as far as I can tell.

My recommendation... if you are used to 1911 controls and single action trigger, stay with 1911 platform in a 9mm reduced barrel length. Sorry if I am duplicating another's advice (I didn't read all the posts this time). It does take some self training to get used to another type of trigger. For me the SA/DA triggers are just too weird.

On the other hand, the Glock single stack is a durable, easy to use gun. The Glock Safe Action trigger is slightly longer pull but easy to learn, and is plenty safe without going to a manual safety (just be sure the holster covers the trigger when carrying), and you don't run the risk of disengaging the safety if you knock it around on the nightstand or worse, inside the drawer.

Oh and, in my experience the early M&P had a wretched trigger that has to be replaced. As a 1911 shooter, I am repulsed by bad triggers. Just be sure you dry fire the trigger before you leave the store. :(

By the way, did I say Ruger SR9c? ;)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews