JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a phone call today from my eldest daughter who has 3 little ones. Her oldest just turned 6, middle is 4, and youngest is 1.

She called me up crying because she's so worried about her kids in school because of the numbnuts idiot who shot up the school in Florida. She wants me to educate her kids in what gun fire sounds like, how guns can be used safely or dangerously, and what to do if they find themselves in the unthinkable situation of the school in Florida.

I of course was planning on teaching them all of these things, but figured 8 or 9 might be a better age to get started. o_O

So, my question to the group; what would you do or are you doing for educating youngsters in this new world reality we are dealing with where you don't know when someone is going to pull a gun out in your school, movie theater, or shopping mall? Again; these kids are too young to really understand the details of what is going on an why. I am not sure I feel comfortable having a 6 year old handling a gun; especially this particular 6 year old who is very impetuous and tends to act, then think..

Thoughts?

Trust your gut man.

I started at 4 but I was seriously fascinated by guns.

I'd work on calming mama down and show her the shootings per year vs number of schools in the US.

They are more likely to get run over by a drunk driver.

If the parent is scared then the kids will be as well.

Mines much older so it's nothing I can speak to from experience.

Best of luck.

This is so, so true.
You cannot lead if you show that you are scared.

How many people in life have I run into that were permanently scared of dogs (or animals) because their parents made them that way ?
Quite a few.

Maybe she can reach out to LE in her area to find a seminar or class that teaches how to survive an active shooter ?

Trust your gut man.

I'd work on calming mama down and show her the shootings per year vs number of schools in the US.

Best of luck.

Good advice; I tend to follow my instincts. I too started with guns at a very young age, but I think times have change a lot since then. I was telling my daughter how I probably shot several thousand rounds of 22 cal rounds at tin cans and glass bottles in the camp garbage pit (we didn't know about the environment back then) with the other youngsters in hunting camp because I (and the others) were too young to go out hunting with the men.

But I think kids today don't seem to have the same grounding that we did back then. Why? Too much time behind TV's, computers, & video games? Beats me... I think I am glad I grew up when I did though.

I would talk to the kids, teach them about bullying, teach them to treat all kids with respect, and make distant friends with the weird kids.
Monitor their social media, and make sure they have open communication.
Teach them about warning signs.

So when they hear kids talking about these types of things or hearing kids are acting crazy respond.

All these incidents have screaming warning signs and no one does anything.

I was in high school around the time of Columbine.
It changed my attitude. In middle school I was a bit of a bully, in high school I tried to be everyone's friend.
Even the weird goth kids.
I figured if they were going to do some crazy ish they would tell me or maybe not kill me!

Be very careful. Keep it simple. Try not to impart fear.

Some kids are more responsible at young ages. But many simply aren't developed enough to handle the life & death responsibility of handling firearms.

I know two 10-year-old boys. One is responsible enough to take hunting. The other, I wouldn't let touch a loaded gun.

Be very, very careful. Good luck.

A range trip to understand what the guns look like and what they sound like, without them handling them is a good start. Knowing those distinctive sounds is step 1 in identifying what's going on.

But the real learning is what to do when you hear that sound... That's the real educational piece. And really needs to dovetail into the schools active shooter drills and teachings.

I'm kinda dealing with the same thing with my 9 y/o, I want her to be aware and be able to identify the different sounds of gunfire. I want her to react in a proper manner, but I also want her to follow the staffs direction during drills and God forbid, if the unthinkable should happen.

Keep thinking about a ballistic backpack...

I think i would introduce the oldest to an old-fashioned bb gun. You learn about death when you kill your first bird or squirrel. Then progress to a cricket 22. It will take time. I really think that the four year old and definitely the one year old is too young. You might want to teach the mother as well.

So, my question to the group; what would you do or are you doing for educating youngsters in this new world reality we are dealing with where you don't know when someone is going to pull a gun out in your school, movie theater, or shopping mall? Again; these kids are too young to really understand the details of what is going on an why. I am not sure I feel comfortable having a 6 year old handling a gun; especially this particular 6 year old who is very impetuous and tends to act, then think..

Thoughts?

nothing different, current events don't change a thing a 6yr old isn't going to understand mass shootings and isn't going to take out a mass shooter in a mall or school. I would teach them gun safety though but if you don't think hes ready to handle a gun then hes not. She asked you to be the mentor so treat that just like it was your kid. Or maybe if your uncertain where to start I would contact the Kids S.A.F.E. Foundation they are doing an incredible job teaching kids gun safety. The owner is a member of this forum I think...
Kids S.A.F.E. Foundation

Trust your gut man.

Best of luck.
Yea that will calm mom down don't worry about gun it's the drunken next door neighbor that's going to get them

nothing different, current events don't change a thing a 6yr old isn't going to understand mass shootings and isn't going to take out a mass shooter in a mall or school. I would teach them gun safety though but if you don't think hes ready to handle a gun then hes not. She asked you to be the mentor so treat that just like it was your kid. Or maybe if your uncertain where to start I would contact the Kids S.A.F.E. Foundation they are doing an incredible job teaching kids gun safety. The owner is a member of this forum I think...
Kids S.A.F.E. Foundation
Yes he is and they are doing a fundraiser in the events and get together forum there giving away a gun if you buy tickets

These are challenging times to be raising children. I've managed to get my three girls to their teens, so far, so good. One thing I didn't want to do was raise them in a sugar coated bubble. I never talked to them like we lived in Sesame St for one. I have always been up front that the world is a big, bad, scary place. While I want my kids to have a fairly normal and balanced childhood (despite me being their father), I want their expectations of the world to be realistic. When I kick them out the front door and into the world I will have the expectation that they will be victors and not victims. Well, that's the plan anyway. But you have to start early with them and be consistent with your messages, and not be shy or apologetic about it. Later on in life when they face adversity they will be thanking you for how you prepared them.

If I still had kids in school...and this is all age appropriate. You'll have to make the call on that as I don't know your kids...
  • Kids get drilled on gun safety and learn to shoot. I want them to know what to do if they ever encounter a gun at a friends house and for them to be so familiar with guns that there is no excitement/mystery in seeing one somewhere. And they know what to do if their idiot friend pulls one out, points it at them, etc. Even if they're not old enough to shoot yet like your six year old, they're old enough to be talking to them about safe handling, etc. And they can practice with toy guns. Make this a condition. Most kids are excited to learn to shoot. Explain to them that they must learn, practice and demonstrate mastery of safe gun handling before they will be allowed to shoot. Let them handle real UNLOADED guns. And test them. After you think they've learned a bit, leave an UNLOADED gun out and see how they handle it. Setting up a "nanny cam" or similar is a good idea.
  • Kids get trained on gunshot trauma care and basic first aid. If they are old enough to learn how to use a computer and/or cell phone, they can learn how to apply a tourniquet, etc.
  • Kids have a TQ in their school backpack
  • I would absolutely look for a bullet proof panel and possibly a plate for their backpacks. The plate depends on weight because their packs can get pretty heavy and kids are small. But there are lots of lighter ones coming out these days so maybe you can find one that would work. They'd get thorough instruction and training on how to use it and direction to never leave their pack if a teacher tells them. If cops tell them, they obey. Teachers can pound sand.
  • Explain to them the importance of paying attention to how their friends are doing and to speak up if they think any of them are in trouble. Hopefully they're not encountering 6 years olds in this condition but they grow up fast. Training them young and reinforcing that often is key.

You can find recordings of most gun report sounds. Many video games have accurate sounding gun reports also.
Take them to a few hundred yards of a range, teach them the sound of rifles, vs pistols, vs shotguns, and the tonal qualities of each. As they come to recognize them, they can then learn to distinguish the sound of the different manufacturers and cartridges.
I try to teach situational awareness at all times, asking my kids questions like, "did you notice the guy wearing pajamas?"

You can find recordings of most gun report sounds. Many video games have accurate sounding gun reports also.
Take them to a few hundred yards of a range, teach them the sound of rifles, vs pistols, vs shotguns, and the tonal qualities of each. As they come to recognize them, they can then learn to distinguish the sound of the different manufacturers and cartridges.
I try to teach situational awareness at all times, asking my kids questions like, "did you notice the guy wearing pajamas?"
Or did you notice the guy conciled carry at the burger place lol or the guy with his shirt on back Ward lol that's good I have to really get on my neice she always with her face in that dam phone

Backpacks with books won't stop everything but just putting it in front of your vitals could make a difference between injury and death.

Too bad kids aren't told that in schools instead of hiding behind a door made of particle board. I believe if children are given real solutions and options they'll be less afraid. They know bs when they hear it.

Lots of the schools now do have really heavy doors but your right though I know my neice and my nephew back pack could stop a bullet like 6 books in there it's rediculous how heavy they are

There are lot of different types and companys that make bullet proof or just soft bullet proof restant GAURD DOG .is one TUFFY PACKS . ballistic bag or what ever all different prices and style il_570xN.1429401710_9adl.jpg d-5974.jpg img13c.jpg LA POLICE GEAR IS ONE THAT MAKE SOME GOOD ONES THAT DOUBLE AS A FRONT AND BACK PLATE CARRER LAST TIME I CHECKED THOUGH THEY WERE ONLY FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT.but they where trying to get a civilian one on the market

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews