JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Get in touch with @LethalLovebird. He runs a program that has firearm safety classes for small kids here in Oregon. He works in conjunction with Cabela's and other companies to put on classes where he educates kids about gun safety, and handling and shooting firearms. Some of his classes include range time. His classes are aimed at elementary school kids down to kindergarten, so at least your 6 year old could benefit from them, and probably the 4 yo too.
Yes thanks for that I forgotten about that kids safe

Perhaps when they are a bit older, you could try a boot camp approach for a weekend camp-out. Include target practice but make them pack a disabled gun around all weekend, observing (and correcting) all the rules.

How about if you start by educating your daughter about all the things she asked about.
The one and four year olds are really too young to start training, and the six year old may also be too young, depending on whether or not the child has any interest in firearms.

Putting a child in a situation where there are loud noises will do nothing to prepare or comfort them in the event that gunfire does in fact erupt nearby. It will more likely just scare the crap out of them.
There never two young to start learning gun safety I'm sorry but if you can teach a 3 year old anything you can teach them about guns it's just a matter of if you do it or not you are never to old or to young to learn

I got a phone call today from my eldest daughter who has 3 little ones. Her oldest just turned 6, middle is 4, and youngest is 1.

She called me up crying because she's so worried about her kids in school because of the numbnuts idiot who shot up the school in Florida. She wants me to educate her kids in what gun fire sounds like, how guns can be used safely or dangerously, and what to do if they find themselves in the unthinkable situation of the school in Florida.

I of course was planning on teaching them all of these things, but figured 8 or 9 might be a better age to get started. o_O

So, my question to the group; what would you do or are you doing for educating youngsters in this new world reality we are dealing with where you don't know when someone is going to pull a gun out in your school, movie theater, or shopping mall? Again; these kids are too young to really understand the details of what is going on an why. I am not sure I feel comfortable having a 6 year old handling a gun; especially this particular 6 year old who is very impetuous and tends to act, then think..

Thoughts?

I would teach them. If they recognize something coming their way they have more time to escape or hide . If they recognize the sound of a firearm opposed to a book hitting the floor It can make a difference. The 1 year old is just to young

I would teach them. If they recognize something coming their way they have more time to escape or hide . If they recognize the sound of a firearm opposed to a book hitting the floor It can make a difference. The 1 year old is just to young
They just had a thing up here the other day about people running for there lives when two guys got in a fight and nock over some signs in a mall BAM BAM every one run

I kinda think it's funny but not that funny that everyone runs where is the guy's that don't run mmmmmm oh that's right they are in Afghanistan or Iraq Africa MEXICO SYRAH BLA BLA BLA .OR THEY WHERE FORCED TO LEAVE THERE GUN IN THERE CAR BECAUSE IT WAS A GUN FREE ZONE

I kinda think it's funny but not that funny that everyone runs where is the guy's that don't run mmmmmm oh that's right they are in Afghanistan or Iraq Africa MEXICO SYRAH BLA BLA BLA .OR THEY WHERE FORCED TO LEAVE THERE GUN IN THERE CAR BECAUSE IT WAS A GUN FREE ZONE[/QUOT

Ive seen gun free zones out on the mian road passing the school. I dont think yhey are allowed in the parking lot or anywhere that is school property

Yep I know but what you going to do conciled is conciled .if I'm in a gun free zone I'm still going to use my gun if I have to RATHER BE JUDGE BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY SIX as for going to gun free zones I don't go there if I can help it

Thanks folks for the input. I will check ot the kids gun safe program. I have found having differnt people all teaching the same thing in slightly differnt ways is a good approach in teaching just about anything. Sometimes it just takes someone saying or doing something slightly differntly to turn on the light bulb in the kids head....

Its all so strange to me... I think I was shooting a 22 cal rifle already at 6.... Its hard to fathom how far removed from our roots society has become.

One thing that surprised me from the FL shooting, is a video taken from inside a classroom. Many of the kids were just sitting on the floor in the open. Some lessons on taking cover would be a good idea. Include topics such as barrier selection (a plastic seat isn't cover). It could be turned into a fun hide-n-seek type game.

I would think the teacher should have thrown a chair thru a window and have them mass exit.

Trust your gut man.

I started at 4 but I was seriously fascinated by guns.

I'd work on calming mama down and show her the shootings per year vs number of schools in the US.

They are more likely to get run over by a drunk driver.

If the parent is scared then the kids will be as well.

Mines much older so it's nothing I can speak to from experience.

Best of luck.
Sadly, we kill about 1.2 million people annually via traffic collisions and of those, about 40k are teen drivers - most of these accidents involve DUI or excessive speed. But you don't hear these liberals screaming for a nationwide 30MPH speed limit - and I think we all know that it would result in far less lives lost than those by gunshot wounds.

I would think the teacher should have thrown a chair thru a window and have them mass exit.
Fire extinguishers are great - you can distract the shooter long enough to empty the cylinder and then clock him with it.
But I'm guessing none of these students could even use it to put out a fire because they wouldn't have the wherewithall to remove the pin before depressing the handle. Maybe some common-sense training for students (and teachers alike) is in order.

I know this - my kids learned how to use a knife safely, start a fire (in the fireplace or at a campsite), use a fire extinguisher, learn basic first aid, deal with an earthquake, and stop-drop-roll if their clothes caught fire.

Time to start teaching more 'safety' in the classroom - for us older folks, remember the 'duck and cover' drills in the event of an airstrike?

I got a phone call today from my eldest daughter who has 3 little ones. Her oldest just turned 6, middle is 4, and youngest is 1.

She called me up crying because she's so worried about her kids in school because of the numbnuts idiot who shot up the school in Florida. She wants me to educate her kids in what gun fire sounds like, how guns can be used safely or dangerously, and what to do if they find themselves in the unthinkable situation of the school in Florida.

I of course was planning on teaching them all of these things, but figured 8 or 9 might be a better age to get started. o_O

So, my question to the group; what would you do or are you doing for educating youngsters in this new world reality we are dealing with where you don't know when someone is going to pull a gun out in your school, movie theater, or shopping mall? Again; these kids are too young to really understand the details of what is going on an why. I am not sure I feel comfortable having a 6 year old handling a gun; especially this particular 6 year old who is very impetuous and tends to act, then think..

Thoughts?
Her concerns are valid. The most immediate action any parent can take is demanding the School Boards allow CERTAIN concealed carry holders in the school to start carrying. Obviously this should include intensive training. But it is amazing that we aren't hearing an outcry from parents to harden these "soft targets." Remember the Maalot, Israel massacre. After that, teachers, school bus drivers, etc have been armed. Time to face evil square in the face......

Sadly, we kill about 1.2 million people annually via traffic collisions and of those, about 40k are teen drivers - most of these accidents involve DUI or excessive speed. But you don't hear these liberals screaming for a nationwide 30MPH speed limit - and I think we all know that it would result in far less lives lost than those by gunshot wounds.

What does that have anything to do with what I posted?

Not to stray too far from topic but to answer the question ...

Some states have laws where firearms must be stored in a safe or with a trigger guard...some states do not have this law.
As for me I think that you should store your firearms as you see fit.
All kinds of variables here to think about:
Are there kids in the household?
Do you get many visitors?
Do you live in a "good" or "bad" neighborhood?
What is your budget?
Are folks likely to find and handle your firearms without being taught how to safely handle firearms?
Are you more concerned about safety or keeping the guns from being stolen?

Again how you keep your guns should be up to you and what works for you.
Often a one size fits all answer or solution , actually is one size fits none...
Andy
Guys, I have a question for you all. Though I am not much expert. I would like to know where do you keep your guns when don't use it. Do you use any locker?

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews