JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think people over think this whole area.

Firearms are a tool that Police, and families use to protect our communities
Some times people use tools the wrong way and people get hurt.

I have tools in my garage that are far worse then a Firearm, when I was a kid in the 60's cops came in an
educated us on firearms and there were target classes as well. Now they teach fear not education.

To answer how would you teach a kid to ride a bike, or use a hammer same thing exactly.
There dangers of using a bike and a hammer hell there is danger with cell phones in the bathtub.

One would NOT go to a kid and say each year 1000 children are killed on bicycles holly crap kids would never
ride one. Not mad at you OP if it sounds like it I am not just pissed off how this whole freakin mess is and it makes zero
sense. Its piece of metal that sends projectiles at objects. Its not a death machine its just a tool nothing more nothing less.

DH
I wouldn't get mad at the OP HE'S IN THE MIDDLE asking for help I been sitting here advise my mom what to say on her Facebook B..S.. it's funny how when something like this happens .the next day we have millions of firearms experts out there .and they are experts because ANDERSON COOPER said this or said that .but NOT ONE OF THEM HAS EVER HELD A GUN OR FIRED A GUN

He's trying to help his family that does not understand yes the kids are young but as some other guys have said they were shooting guns at 4 and 5 years old I myself .pr probably 10 for a real gun but had plenty of bb guns or pellet guns before that everyone or every family is different

I'm sure you all have family that has FACE book it's a mess you should read some of the B.S. some of the stuff my mom ask me if it's true or not is insane . people have no idea what happened or what is going to happen . sometimes I just tell her don't reply to thst person . they don't know $#!+.lol like NOBODY SHOULD HAVE A .ARK15 OR A Ak22 lol im like WTF . DON'T REPLY

I wouldn't get mad at the OP HE'S IN THE MIDDLE asking for help I been sitting here advise my mom what to say on her Facebook B..S.. it's funny how when something like this happens .the next day we have millions of firearms experts out there .and they are experts because ANDERSON COOPER said this or said that .but NOT ONE OF THEM HAS EVER HELD A GUN OR FIRED A GUN

Nope not mad at the OP I had said :

" Not mad at you OP if it sounds like it I am not just pissed off how this whole freakin mess is and it makes zero
sense. " And I should have said I am not pissed off.............. my bad I fixed it.

Its all kinda clusterfruck, just putting all sorts of people in a tail spin.

Nope not mad at the OP I had said :

" Not mad at you OP if it sounds like it I am not just pissed off how this whole freakin mess is and it makes zero
sense. " And I should have said I am not pissed off.............. my bad I fixed it.

Its all kinda clusterfruck, just putting all sorts of people in a tail spin.
Yep it's a mess I didn't think you were mad at the OP it just seems like that's what I said consider the bla bla bla lol I lost my point lol any way .I'm out HEHEHE

Sorry I had to step away I'M done with this holy smokes you should hear the B.S. that is coming from my mom's Facebook page LOL SHE'S 72 SO YOU CAN IMAGINE LOL I just tell her what I know and post a picture lol if you never had one dotdTTACH]431851[/ATTACH]

MVIMG_20180217_121719.jpg

Funny thing is when some little squirrel libral tells your 72 year old mom to shut up because she doesn't know what she's talking about and she sends back that picture it gets real quite in libral land

When I was 7, I had the run of 200 acres and a single shot .22. Killed my first Buck at 9. Six is old enough to try and get them interested.
I got a phone call today from my eldest daughter who has 3 little ones. Her oldest just turned 6, middle is 4, and youngest is 1.

She called me up crying because she's so worried about her kids in school because of the numbnuts idiot who shot up the school in Florida. She wants me to educate her kids in what gun fire sounds like, how guns can be used safely or dangerously, and what to do if they find themselves in the unthinkable situation of the school in Florida.

I of course was planning on teaching them all of these things, but figured 8 or 9 might be a better age to get started. o_O

So, my question to the group; what would you do or are you doing for educating youngsters in this new world reality we are dealing with where you don't know when someone is going to pull a gun out in your school, movie theater, or shopping mall? Again; these kids are too young to really understand the details of what is going on an why. I am not sure I feel comfortable having a 6 year old handling a gun; especially this particular 6 year old who is very impetuous and tends to act, then think..

Thoughts?

When I was 7, I had the run of 200 acres and a single shot .22. Killed my first Buck at 9. Six is old enough to try and get him interested.

I got a airsoft gun I will give you if want you can shoot it in your back yard it's a spring power so it's not that powerful it will shoot probably 40 yards it's really lite not very hard to work basically a rem 700 clone View attachment 431775

That is an incredibly generous offer. I might just take you up on that:)

I have the 6 year old over here at the house tonight and I am weighing all the advice and trying to come up with a workable plan. He's a good kid; really, really smart (I got him an electrical circuit project kit for 8 year old kids for Christmas, and he's a whiz with it. Can't read the instructions, but is building circuits out of the instruction book anyway). The two things I think I am going to battle with him are 1) Super impetuous and has the attention span of a fruit fly, and 2) Thinks he knows EVERYTHING.... I was trying to tell him about Morse code tonight when he was building a light circuit and asked if he know what Morse code was. He said "yes" I said "Really? Tell me what you know about Morse code." He said "I forgot" o_O:rolleyes:

I live on 1.5 acres, so the space for the airsoft wouldn't be an issue....And it has the advantage of, as you say, not much power so mistakes made wouldn't be as difficult to recover from as even a pellet gun or a 22 LR. Let me sleep on that one and I will get back to you tomorrow.

No problems folks with the advise; no offense taken. I am really, really, frustrated that both the media/liberals are repeating the same unproductive mantras of 'take away the guns" and that our society has somehow devolved into a state where this type of idiocy is so common place. Just to be clear; my daughter is fully aware that taking away guns is not a solution and that's not what she is pushing for. She just wants her kids safe like any parent would.

Ok, I have taken my grandkids shooting last year. The oldest was 9 and the youngest was my 4yo granddaughter. The curiosity of firearms is not there anymore. They also have a good idea on the destruction.

Since then we have regular talks about firearm safety. I have decided to find out what the school has told them. My next thing is to play hide and seek with them. The winner gets extra time on the Xbox or something special. The winner is anyone who can stay really quiet and sneak past the seeker. If they get caught or found they lose a privilege.

I want them to remember that so they can learn how to get away from an active shooter. Make the learning experience FUN and also rewarding or "consequences" for "losing". Then let them know that you want them to win in an active shooter situation because you love them and they are your reward. You don't want the consequences if they lose.

That is an incredibly generous offer. I might just take you up on that:)

I have the 6 year old over here at the house tonight and I am weighing all the advice and trying to come up with a workable plan. He's a good kid; really, really smart (I got him an electrical circuit project kit for 8 year old kids for Christmas, and he's a whiz with it. Can't read the instructions, but is building circuits out of the instruction book anyway). The two things I think I am going to battle with him are 1) Super impetuous and has the attention span of a fruit fly, and 2) Thinks he knows EVERYTHING.... I was trying to tell him about Morse code tonight when he was building a light circuit and asked if he know what Morse code was. He said "yes" I said "Really? Tell me what you know about Morse code." He said "I forgot" o_O:rolleyes:

I live on 1.5 acres, so the space for the airsoft wouldn't be an issue....And it has the advantage of, as you say, not much power so mistakes made wouldn't be as difficult to recover from as even a pellet gun or a 22 LR. Let me sleep on that one and I will get back to you tomorrow.

No problems folks with the advise; no offense taken. I am really, really, frustrated that both the media/liberals are repeating the same unproductive mantras of 'take away the guns" and that our society has somehow devolved into a state where this type of idiocy is so common place. Just to be clear; my daughter is fully aware that taking away guns is not a solution and that's not what she is pushing for. She just wants her kids safe like any parent would.
Ok like I said let me know imI going to work tomorrow night but will be home Tuesday morning then I can get it in the mail Tuesday or Wednesday

I would talk to the kids, teach them about bullying, teach them to treat all kids with respect, and make distant friends with the weird kids.
Monitor their social media, and make sure they have open communication.
Teach them about warning signs.

So when they hear kids talking about these types of things or hearing kids are acting crazy respond.

All these incidents have screaming warning signs and no one does anything.

I was in high school around the time of Columbine.
It changed my attitude. In middle school I was a bit of a bully, in high school I tried to be everyone's friend.
Even the weird goth kids.
I figured if they were going to do some crazy ish they would tell me or maybe not kill me!

My thought is similar: Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Not something a typical kid comprehends, though, (especially nowadays) but it's a great bug to put in their ear.

I was a bully in junior high and a little bit in highschool accully got sent to the alternative highschool lol I regent it now I probably could have more friends if I wasn't such a a$$ and had better group than the ones I was hanging with at the time .I tell my nephew and niece try to be friends with every one you won't regret it later.

I got a phone call today from my eldest daughter who has 3 little ones. Her oldest just turned 6, middle is 4, and youngest is 1.

She called me up crying because she's so worried about her kids in school because of the numbnuts idiot who shot up the school in Florida. She wants me to educate her kids in what gun fire sounds like, how guns can be used safely or dangerously, and what to do if they find themselves in the unthinkable situation of the school in Florida.

I of course was planning on teaching them all of these things, but figured 8 or 9 might be a better age to get started. o_O

So, my question to the group; what would you do or are you doing for educating youngsters in this new world reality we are dealing with where you don't know when someone is going to pull a gun out in your school, movie theater, or shopping mall? Again; these kids are too young to really understand the details of what is going on an why. I am not sure I feel comfortable having a 6 year old handling a gun; especially this particular 6 year old who is very impetuous and tends to act, then think..

Thoughts?
How about if you start by educating your daughter about all the things she asked about.
The one and four year olds are really too young to start training, and the six year old may also be too young, depending on whether or not the child has any interest in firearms.

Putting a child in a situation where there are loud noises will do nothing to prepare or comfort them in the event that gunfire does in fact erupt nearby. It will more likely just scare the crap out of them.

Edie eagle and similar are great for firearm training. And should eventually be served up, when and if that comes to be.
Since children are not likely to be packing in the schools, I believe emphasizing more towards situational awareness and survival techniques, in line with child abduction and hurricane or earthquake preparedness and drills, only looking out for and recognizing the lost or the inhumane in the world whatever their reason.
Make it less about the guns and more about the few people that might do them harm, and about surviving different threats from bullies on up to any threat level you feel possible or needed, regardless of the tools used.

Thoughts?
Get in touch with @LethalLovebird. He runs a program that has firearm safety classes for small kids here in Oregon. He works in conjunction with Cabela's and other companies to put on classes where he educates kids about gun safety, and handling and shooting firearms. Some of his classes include range time. His classes are aimed at elementary school kids down to kindergarten, so at least your 6 year old could benefit from them, and probably the 4 yo too.

I will reply to this because I have been in a few conversation with the OP in PM HE is Grandpa in this situation and from what I can tell from MY PRIVATE MESSAGE with him he is trying to do everything he can with these kids we have made a agreement or a deal with each other to focus on the 6 year old for now the others are to young that's the simple fact . he's not the bad guy here he just asked for help and I hope that more people come forward with help

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top