JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was posting in the "Left Lane" thread a minute ago and thought of this. But I didn't want to get in trouble for off topic. So here goes.

A couple of weeks ago, I had what I think was a close call. U turns in Warshington state are permitted under most conditions if doing so is not otherwise prohibited. In other words, if there isn't a sign that says, "No U Turn." it's allowed.

I figure, if there isn't such a sign, and it's safe, I'm okay. There is a Home Depot store on the way to one of my daughter's places. Approaching from the south on a major highway, I can cross an intersection and enter the west entrance to the parking lot. If the highway is jammed up, I can make a right turn, go down the cross street about 300 yards, and make a U turn, go back up the cross street the other direction and turn into the parking lot on the south side.

On this day, there were very many vehicles in the right lane approaching the cross street, so I opted for the right turn, then U turn maneuver. I rounded the corner, came close to where I was to make the U turn, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a deputy pull out of a parking lot on the opposite side of the street coming along behind me. But in the meantime, a white SUV coming east on the cross street decided to do the same U turn maneuver in the same place I had done. Then I saw the red and blue lights of the deputy's vehicle come on. I kept going, and made my turn into the Home Depot parking lot. But the deputy didn't follow me; evidently he pulled over the white SUV instead. I think it was just a matter of chance that the white vehicle got it instead of me.

Yet, I kept wondering, if U turns are allowed if not specifically prohibited, what had I done wrong? The only thing I can think of is that I didn't use my left turn signal when I executed the U turn. And maybe the white vehicle failed to do so as well. I've seen LEO's pull over more than one vehicle at a time, but in this case the U turn situation didn't lend itself to that.

I did not stop and go into Home Depot. I kept on going through the parking lot and on over to my daughter's place. Was that eluding?? I had in mind the deputy might just cruise the lot after writing up the white SUV.

They are called different things in different jurisdictions: Ticket, Citation, Infraction. I haven't had one in at least 20 years and I'd like to keep it that way.

Who knows - maybe the driver was young, the tags were expired, the sheriff just decided on a whim something.

Take it as good fortune and just keep being a safe driver.

I've 'avoided' being pulled over for some time but I'm not always 100%. I just try to be courteous and hope I'm on the positive side of karma.

Depends on the road, but one of the prohibitions is that you cannot impede traffic to make your turn or create a risk of impact.

So... pulling into and stopping in a center turning lane is okay, but say... it's only a 2 lane road... you can't stop and impede traffic "unless" it is at a turn in point. So like... how you would normally make a left hand turn into a parking lot entry, but just keep turning into a U'ey. And you're right that you have to have your signal light on.

There are also some cities that have restrictions within business districts... IE., only at intersections.

"Easiest to catch"

That's the response I received from a state police officer back east on morning when I got pulled over on my way to work one morning. I was the last of several cars "platooned" in the #1 lane traveling above the posted speed limit. I politely ask why me, why not the lead car, his response was because you were the easiest to catch.

They go fishing, don't be the easiest to catch…

I think I see the problem:

Smokey.jpg

Haaa, I got lucky AF this year, doing 85 on sr 500 east bound crossing 205, moto cop parked flagged the woman in an suv right in front of me to pull over, thought I was DONE FOR but no stop.

Whew, that would have been pretty ugly. It has slowed me down a bit though.

"Easiest to catch"

That's the response I received from a state police officer back east on morning when I got pulled over on my way to work one morning. I was the last of several cars "platooned" in the #1 lane traveling above the posted speed limit. I politely ask why me, why not the lead car, his response was because you were the easiest to catch.

Yup - that was the case when I was expelled from HS on the last day of school. Long story, but basically instead of running, I was walking when the VP saw me.

This advice is from a Retired Cop of 30 years who wrote a record-breaking amount of tickets.

Rules of Police interaction
-
* Never call 911 or allow LE near you if possible
* Invoke 5th and 6th Amendment Rights immediately
* Always record an interaction
* Never answer questions
* Use a dash cam
* Keep lic, reg, & ins above visor
* Never perform field sobriety tests
* Never consent to a search
* Never pay a fine without a court date
* Always consult an attorney

@Koda No it results in suspension of your license which can be dealt with over the year with temp/work driving privileges etc.

Far less an obstacle than taking an impossible to pass test and have the evidence used against you in a DUI case. If you are asked to take an FST you are already 99% arrested and on your way to jail anyway.

The breath, blood, or urine test you do take. Blood preferred. In Oregon a mobile breath test cannot be submitted as evidence against you. But even if over .08 a good attorney at least has a good chance of fighting it or a plea deal.

This is not coaching people on how to drink and drive. However many people have been convicted of a DUI because they had a beer for lunch, blew next to nothing, but looked bad on the FST.

Last Edited:
@Jay Walk Actually have had many crazy vehicles in the last 40 years and smoked up many neighborhoods. 800hp Ford Lightning 16 or so years ago really brought back the teenager in me. I drive a 550hp 3450lb car with RWD even now. Just got some new rear tires........

A couple years ago there was a local news story of the highest MPH ticket ever written that week on the 217 hwy. I had to pause and wait for that story. 115mph. I've blasted through there much faster wth, where is my trophy?

I am surely cursing myself for typing this, but trust me, you've never been held up by me in the left lane :s0112: I've had passengers start crying or have a melt down panic attack - as in men.

An ex of mine summed it up as a "Charmed Life."

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/MLMsjAc5hnc?feature=share

Last Edited:
and merging on at 40
The merging onto the freeway situation can drive me nuts. In Wash., right of way is not specified in the law. Meaning, Wash. has the "merge efficiently" concept. A few people merge too cautiously, but way more want to race onto the freeway -- it's important that they be ahead of the vehicle that they should be "efficiently merging" behind.

The merging onto the freeway situation can drive me nuts. In Wash., right of way is not specified in the law. Meaning, Wash. has the "merge efficiently" concept. A few people merge too cautiously, but way more want to race onto the freeway -- it's important that they be ahead of the vehicle that they should be "efficiently merging" behind.
This explains why people merge so poorly in WA state. In any sane state the person already in the lane has the right of way and you fit your azz in safely. Learn to merge. Stop at the end of a ramp and you should get a reckless driving charge.

@Koda No it results in suspension of your license which can be dealt with over the year with temp/work driving privileges etc.

Far less an obstacle than taking an impossible to pass test and have the evidence used against you in a DUI case. If you are asked to take an FST you are already 99% arrested and on your way to jail anyway.

The breath, blood, or urine test you do take. Blood preferred. In Oregon a mobile breath test cannot be submitted as evidence against you. But even if over .08 a good attorney at least has a good chance of fighting it or a plea deal.

This is not coaching people on how to drink and drive. However many people have been convicted of a DUI because they had a beer for lunch, blew next to nothing, but looked bad on the FST.
A long time ago when I was living in CA my attorney friend told me that if I ever get stopped I should request a breath, urine and blood sample taken. They must do it and the resulting BAC will be different for all three proving to the court that the tests are not accurate.

"Easiest to catch"

I always like it when I'm going 5-10 mph over the limit and someone passes me going 15-20 over. My flawed logic says that guy will get the ticket, not me. 🤣

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews