JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well after reading all the comments and spending yesterday afternoon at a Toyota dealership, here is what I have come with and why.

I am going to keep my truck I have for now and see about getting an older 4x4 without the electronics of todays vehicles.

I live a ways away from i want to be and keep applying praying God will give the transfer that is right for me to the Idaho region.

I drove the 4 runner, all they had was one with a moon roof and the convenience package comes a moon roof, they did a search and none within 500 miles without it, I am 6ft with a long torso, my head hit the roof getting in and was against the roof the whole time, the vehicle road nice good power and features but if'n my head hits the roof getting and is against the ceiling the whole with the seat all the way down it is not going to work for me.

I drove the FJ and went through it, crawled around it and the other, nice vehicle but a lot less than my extended cab long bed truck, the rear opening hatches (good name they are not doors, the are hatches) has less access and seating room than my ext. and the really proud of the vehicle when it comes to prices and wanted to screw me on the trade of truck, they started at $20k and kept going up, which I do contracts for a living and was asales engineer for many years, i know when I am being played and when they are trying to screw me. TGhey were trying to screw me.

I owe couple of years on my trucks I am going to refinace it and get the interest rate lowered, and pickup a second income job and pay it off and llok for older 4x4

Thanks everyone for your input

That sounds like a good decision. Now you need to start narrowing down what you need in your full size truck!

Diesel or gas?
Auto or manual?
How many people do you have to haul, will you need a crewcab?
Etc, etc.

Well It is just me, and I have 2009 GMC Sierra 1500, ext long 4x4, auto locking rear diff, and limited slip from diff. with towing package and integrated trailer brake controller, stabilitrak, the tall split heated camping mirrir with side turn signals in glass, just not been happy with little thing and GM's attitude the suck on customer service and will eventually go under. Oh yeah I have a cross over TSC tool box and over rails spray in bed liner T-rex, twice the thickness as the rhino liners. 5.3 liter iron block with 4 speed auto matic over drive.

It will last me several more years, just the fuel economy is not very good, but i little higher than advertised because I drive conservatively except when used for a load, it well maintained,

I am looking at building a removeabloe high top with front slant wooden cover for bed, I hope to be moving this fall and want to do it all in one trip if possible, the truck is too long to fit on any penske or uhaul flat bed trailer, I may buy my own and rent a penske diesel 26 ft box truck to haul it all.

I know im coming into this thread late...

I loved my 94 4-runner, great little rig with minimal problems (changing a flat tire was kind of a pain in the arse). Wish I had kept it and I am looking for another one. I like that parts are cheap and relatively easy to come by and it's pretty easy to work on/maintain. Although I have been thinking about an older (78-82) Land Rover too. We will be keeping out current cars and adding another one for play/bug out so it needs to be cheap enough for us to do that.

I just cannot justify making the trade, if lightnin were to strike the tree that I park my 09 GMC under I might get a new one,

I do appreciate all of the input from everyone, but

from what I can see, no matter a person buys right now brand new vehicle wise, is a waste of money. Everything is going up and except my pay, and the quality of what is being made has gown down, and they are almost all crap, really everything I looked at brand new when you consider the price for what you are getting, you are getting crap.

I just cannot justify making the trade, if lightnin were to strike the tree that I park my 09 GMC under I might get a new one,

I do appreciate all of the input from everyone, but

from what I can see, no matter a person buys right now brand new vehicle wise, is a waste of money. Everything is going up and except my pay, and the quality of what is being made has gown down, and they are almost all crap, really everything I looked at brand new when you consider the price for what you are getting, you are getting crap.

You're pretty much correct. Quality issues aside, let someone else watch them depreciate.

I always buy used vehicles where the original owner has seen them devalue by 2/3 or so.

The little econobox I've had for 8 years got hit and I'm down less than a grand including DMV fees to keep driving it with a branded title.

Meanwhile, a coworker who buy new cars every year or so has had the last couple go into limp home mode within a few months.

3.4L V6 engines have a problem with valve lash that takes some work and money to correct shows up somewhere between 100K and 130K from what my SIL who is about to fix his on his 1999 4Runner.
That issue isn't incredibly common. That said the new 4Runners such as the OP is looking at have the 4.0L. Completely different engine.
I like the Tacoma or the 4runner over the FJ Cruiser. Those rear doors are a bit annoying, they do pretty well off road for what they are, but are still not impressive. As far as a new vehicle that could be capable off road with little work the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon wins. Solid axle front, and locking front and rear differentials are both very important off road. The Toyota's Independent Front Suspension (IFS) is a limiting factor. I know you're not a huge fan of the big three. Me personally I prefer to buy older vehicles and modify them until they suit me. My current DD is a 88 4Runner with a Solid Axle Swap to eliminate the weak IFS and 37" tires. I love Toyotas. I don't know if this helps, just my :s0159:

Having an FJ Cruiser myself, it is a great all around SUV, but would not be a top choice for a 'bug-out' vehicle. Like I said before, I would think a FJ60/FJ62 would be ideal. Tons of cargo space and those things are as tough as nails. Less electronic crap. I still kick myself for not buying an FJ62 that came up for sale in Lake Oswego, perfect, with 50k miles for $11k a couple years ago. Idiot.

Having an FJ Cruiser myself, it is a great all around SUV, but would not be a top choice for a 'bug-out' vehicle. Like I said before, I would think a FJ60/FJ62 would be ideal. Tons of cargo space and those things are as tough as nails. Less electronic crap. I still kick myself for not buying an FJ62 that came up for sale in Lake Oswego, perfect, with 50k miles for $11k a couple years ago. Idiot.

I will definitely look at the ones yuo mentioned as I come across them, life is a little busy right now,a nd I get praying for one of my transfers to come through so trying to get my preps ready for that. I liked the new FJ cruiser but was too mcu $$ and the dealer was trying to know me down from 09 GMC SIerra too mcu on $$

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top