JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First I am sure someone asking what is this do with preparedness, well I am looking at getting rid of my truck because I have not been happy with it or GM and want a good bug out vehicle or a vehicle I have more faith in than I one I have in a SHTF sitiatiun!

I have narrowed it down to a new or slightly used Toyota 4 Runner 4x4 or FJ Cruiser. Looking to hear from people here or by pm (private messaging) on what they like and do not like. I know from experience there is always something an owner or driver does not like but pridesometimes stops them from disclosing it, here is your chance anonymously.

Really not interested in GM, FORD or Chrysler I had bad experiences with them all and was treated poorly and given the run around. I am not here to bad mouth these brands, just want honest straight opinion on the two toyotas for new shtf vehicle.

I have a 2009 SR5 V6 4Runner and it's been a good, reliable vehicle. I have 40k on it so far. Our friends have one with 204K miles on it. They've used theirs as a "ranch rig" pulling trailers, traveling through fields, etc. It certainly has more off-road capability than our Subaru Outback (just as a comparison), although I like the Outback for snow better. I've had my 4Runner mostly on rough gravel and (very) unimproved dirt roads, so nothing too hardcore. It's comfortable for long road trips and gets decent milage (23-24mpg on highway). Power is pretty good and brakes are better than the Tacoma (which is the other rig I was looking at). Headroom isn't great and some of the interior seems like it could be designed for better use - not enough places to stash things. I really like the 4WD system as it has a Torsen center differential which allows you to drive on dry pavement - something that's nice when you're on the highway with patches of snow/ice and then dry/wet. You can also lock this out to operate in traditional 4WD. Also has 4-Lo capability. One thing I don't like about the 4WD system is that it has "driveline bump" - when you're stopped, the driveline sort of "bumps" and you almost think that you've been hit. This is supposedly normal, isn't supposed to cause harm, but is admittedly a little annoying (although, I've gotten used to it for the most part). If you put a cargo box on the roof, you can haul an amazing amount of "stuff".

I think the FJ is probably more capable off-road - if for no other reason than there's a lot more accessories that you can get for it to modify for off-road travel. It also has a shorter body & wheel base. Perhaps some FJ owners will chime in, but I think the visibility on these is terrible - with the huge rear pillars and spare tire, I found it hard to see around. It does have large mirrors, which compensates for this somewhat. I also think the rear door access is not optimal if you're using this to haul around kids/passengers. Don't care for the swing-door cargo access, but that's just personal preference, and I understand that having the tire mounted back there is better if you have to get at it while off-road.

You might take a look at this thread.

3.4L V6 engines have a problem with valve lash that takes some work and money to correct shows up somewhere between 100K and 130K from what my SIL who is about to fix his on his 1999 4Runner.

I have a 2007 Blue FJ Cruiser, lifted 3", 33" MTs, DVD, Soundproofing, American Racing rims, 6MT, sport exhaust, dual JL amps/subs, other nice accessories. 13,xxx miles. Never seen dirt. Not even ready for its first service visit (15k).

Been thinking about selling it since I never drive it. For work I need my van, for play I have a CTS-V.

Probably the only thing I would have done differently is used AT all terrain tires instead of MTs, but I went for the poser look. ATs ride much nicer.

As far as FJs in general as a bug out vehicle I guess they would be a good choice - they go anywhere. The negatives would be size (a little small to haul a lot) and fuel economy (15 or so, ridiculous for a manual tranny 6cyl rig).

I've always thought the FJ60s and FJ62s from the mid to late 80s set the standard for bug out vehicles. Probably the toughest most reliable civilian vehicles ever made.

My dad has owned his 70 fj40 for 35 years and it seems to always run. He left it stock with the inline 6 and 3 speed. He keeps telling me he's going to give it to me. That will be my bug out vehicle. I want something that does not rely on computers. He has another one that he drives quite a bit. He built that one with a sb 350, auto trans, lockers, ect. It seems to have more issues that the one that's completely stock, rightfully so. I grew up driving his original one. It was a tank in low range, so slow, it would just lug through anything. But having to pump the brakes 10-12 times was a little lame.

Hey thanks everyone,

My GMC Sierra is an extended cab and has the swing out rear doors, I am not so hip on those althought it was a major improvment over the old style without,

I did sit in a 2012 FJ Cruiser, it has more head room than my 09 Sierra (go Figure), I did notice the visual blockage but I drove an 89 GMC Sierra regular cab for 15 yrs and 365k miles and had a camper shell on it which i had painted the window black from the inside, as long as my side mirrors have a good view even if I have to put cat eye mirrors (conves spot mirrors I am good). The 2012 has a driver control locking rear differential which I like, and rubber / vynil inside cargo. what I dislike is the smalll cargo area, but the I like the roof rack.

The 4 Runner well the small dealer I went to was out, i am going to larger one tomorrow, but in looking at them in brochures it seems to have more cargo room and regular second row doors, I am 6ft and my head hits the ceiling in most rear cars made today, and wehn i get in my truck if I do not cock mey head side ways I sometimes rub the door seal, I will have to see how the 4 runner is when I go look at one.

I looked up the earlier FJs mentioned, nice but I am looking for a newer one for primary vehicle, maybe I will get one later, I agree about having a vehicle without a computer chip would be nice, just in case.

Once again I appreciate the feedback, having a good reliable primary and shtf get out town vehicle is important to me,

Nissan Xterra Off Road/Pro-4X for the win!!!

Don't take my word for it, click here.

I bought a Pro-4X last year. It is my second Xterra and I love them. :cool:

Edit: Sorry, didn't see that only wanted opinions on the two, but I do think you should check out the Xterra before you sign on any dotted lines :s0155:

I would suggest an older non electronic, American made 4x. No electronics means easy to fix and emp has no effect. Old American means good parts available. A large V8 with 4x will get you out of most jams and carburetors are easy to repair and seldom break.

A bug out vehicle needs to be durable, and easy to fix. Mileage while nice doesn't mean anything when your electronics are fried and the vehicle won't start.

If your set on a jap truck get an old old fj or other late 60s early 70s off road capable vehicle. Me personally, I've owned 3 Dodge trucks and still own 2 not a problem at all with either that wasn't normal wear. Ones a 67 power wagon and the other is a 2005 diesel.

We had a FJ for two years, best thing I can say about it was it held its value real well.... It was really my wifes truck and at 5' and 100 pounds she had a hell of a time driving it (I bought it because I liked it but she drove it and didnt) she almost ran over more than one person crossing the street because they where totally blocked by the big side mirrors, visibility really does suck but you get use to driving it. The biggest complaint I had was its not really a truck, its not a great tow rig because its short wheel base and for how big it is there is not a lot of utility.. (in my humble opinion) We ended up trading it in on a 4 door long bed Tacoma and have been much happier with it....

I looked at the FJ but didn't buy one. I thought I would be better off with a 4x4 pickup and a canopy.

I spoke with one guy who owned one, and he commented that the windshield was more susceptible to cracks since it wasn't sloped, and therefore it would take the full brunt of a rock.

Peter

My dad, and my girlfriend's dad both have 4runners. They are '00 and '06. Both suck on gas, and both are pretty small inside. With 4 people and a big dog, there is no room for much else. A guy at work has had two FJs, but always complains about fuel mileage....

Nissan Xterra Off Road/Pro-4X for the win!!!

Don't take my word for it, click here.

I bought a Pro-4X last year. It is my second Xterra and I love them. :cool:

Edit: Sorry, didn't see that only wanted opinions on the two, but I do think you should check out the Xterra before you sign on any dotted lines :s0155:

Were good, I did look at it, I could not put my finger on it, but something inside said no, so but I do understand it is a good vehicle. :)

Yeah I may have to rethink this, One the reason I am considering getting rid of my )( GMC Sierra is the fuel economy sucks 17 hwy mog, when on the hwy and chaning interstates from north to west bound the big right turns my center review mirror completely blocks the road a couple hundred feet in front, the fron suooirt between front door and windshield blocks my view, when slow around a corner an entire vehicle parked on the opposite side of the road disappears for a split second, when at walmart, a 6ft guy carrying a baby and his walked out and I almost ran the over because the support completely blocked them all out for a couple of second and I was barely crawling with foot on brake, i scared the crap out of me.

as I said earlier my suicide rear doors area pain, (rear doors opening backwards) I like the extra room but hate the opening method.

So everyone know I did work in the detroit area for 25 yrs, my dad retired from gm, I had a dodge and the company treated me crap on warranty stuff, for then screwed in the 80s i gave them both many chances to make things right or lose me forever, they basically told me to go pound sand GM has given the run around, my dad the run around and I am tired of replaceing parts at 120,000 miles that the Toyotas do not need at 250,000 GM used to be that way but they have forgotten that if you nmake it right and it lasts forever like my 1989 Sierra 365K before it started to wear, that customers will continues to come back I have had nothing little problems and ignorance, incompitence and stated like it is normal here is the TSB (technical service buttletin) and then when it has 130k and out of warranty they want to charge to fix it for the problems you have had for for 119k. Sick adnd tired of it folks, that has been my experience, that is why I am leaving the big three brands for good, it was their choic in how I was treated not mine.

I know I said I would not bad mouth, sorry I just felt I needed to explained so those out there who are offended by my choosing a vehicle other than the big would know where I am coming from, my 09 is 3 yrs old and has 32k miles on it, and personally I would not give you a plug nickle for it and I am tired of making payments on a I personally consider garbage.

No offense taken at all, Ive worked on cars and trucks all my life as both a paid mechanic and in the drag racing hobby and I'm trying to help.

You really need to consider an older vehicle for bug out. The fewer electronics in it the better, the simpler and more utilitarian the better. If you want a nice truck that might be used in case of a bad situation then buy new but if your serious about a real SHTF vehicle you need something bullet proof.

You seem to like Toyotas and I see nothing wrong with that at all, a solid choice is an old Toyota land cruiser, or FJ. Get a points based distributor which is immune to emp and can be fixed with a screw driver.

There are a lot of nice older land cruisers on eBay, as well as a few FJ's though they tend to be over priced.

In the end I don't care what you buy as long as it doesn't let you down when you really need it. A SHTF vehicle.... A real one... Is a different beast than a nice 4x that can get you out of town when you need it to.

My power wagon has a 440 v8 and gets terrible gas mileage but it can tow 17000 pounds, can be fixed with hand tools and runs on anything I can get in the tank. It carrys it's own air compressor, welding rig, water purifier, solar panel and 3 extra fuel tanks and a short wave radio with a faraday cage to protect against emp. You can build the same vehicle with a Toyota and it would be great.

Is it a nice daily driver, no, will it get me out of any bad situation, yes.

Align your needs with what you buy, be a smart consumer and have fun.....I hope this helps.

Were good, I did look at it, I could not put my finger on it, but something inside said no, so but I do understand it is a good vehicle. :)

Fair enough. If I had to choose between a FJ and 4Runner... I would get a Tacoma. There are times I wished I had done a 4 door Tacoma with shell instead of the XTerra again. Oh well, maybe next time I will do that if the economy holds out another 7-8 years...

I think it is helful to define what your SHTF scenario might be. A vehicle that is suited for a quick exit from forest fires, flood, etc may be different than what is best for the kind of scenario where power grids are down, roads are washed out, etc.

I prefer an older, non-electronic diesel motor. Diesel can be stored for much longer periods than gasoline and you have the option of burning other fluids like kerosene, ATF, bio-fuel, etc. Plus many of the mechanic problems can be jury-rigged in the field to keep the vehicle running. In the platform of a full size truck you can haul much more people, cargo and supplies than an FJ or sport ute.

I think it is helful to define what your SHTF scenario might be. A vehicle that is suited for a quick exit from forest fires, flood, etc may be different than what is best for the kind of scenario where power grids are down, roads are washed out, etc.

I prefer an older, non-electronic diesel motor. Diesel can be stored for much longer periods than gasoline and you have the option of burning other fluids like kerosene, ATF, bio-fuel, etc. Plus many of the mechanic problems can be jury-rigged in the field to keep the vehicle running. In the platform of a full size truck you can haul much more people, cargo and supplies than an FJ or sport ute.

Bingo....

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top