JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So Im in the market for a new carry gun. This week Im going to pick up a sig P239 Iv had on layaway, but I want to get a few more as well.. I cant really seem to find one i want/like. I dont like full size handguns. I want a compact/subcompact. Iv owned a G27 and Im really thinking about getting another one, or perhaps a 1911 style one (i love the looks of the 1911's). I have always owned .40's so I have a ton of .40 ammo. so Id like to stay with the .40 cal, but im also considering going with a 9mm (simply cause its a cheaper round) So I dont know! I need some advice:confused:. Oh and also within the $500 range would be good too :D

Well I went to the gun shop today and found a gun i think im gonna get a taurus 709 slim 9mm. I think it will be a good carry comfortable carry one for me as well as for my fiance when she gets her permit here in a few months.. any pros/cons on this gun?

Well I went to the gun shop today and found a gun i think im gonna get a taurus 709 slim 9mm. I think it will be a good carry comfortable carry one for me as well as for my fiance when she gets her permit here in a few months.. any pros/cons on this gun?

internet reports give it a big thumbs down. not just taurus bashing but actual teething issues. taurus is an experimental design company like kel-tec. they use first gen buyers to sort out the problems. google it and u should be able to find the reports.

I bashed my head in trying to find a good ccw. until i started carrying a j-frame. its not in 40, but 38 special will get you out of a jam and they're very easy to carry.

internet reports give it a big thumbs down. not just taurus bashing but actual teething issues. taurus is an experimental design company like kel-tec. they use first gen buyers to sort out the problems. google it and u should be able to find the reports.

I bashed my head in trying to find a good ccw. until i started carrying a j-frame. its not in 40, but 38 special will get you out of a jam and they're very easy to carry.

Yea I saw some good reviews and some bad. I Iv kinda learned that u cant always trust the reviews, because last year I bought a CZ Rami 2075 .40 new in the box and I read nothing but good about that gun, but for some reason it jammed on me at least once with every clip, or would lock the slide open.

But im not sure if ima get the Taurus or not. It just looks like a good carry gun

I don't know what your limits are as far as weight and width. But I'm happy with my Taurus 24/7 compact. Mine is 9mm but they make it in 40 as well. I wanted something small enough to conceal but large enough to get three fingers on the grip(I have big hands). With the compact mag it's 13+1. It's the same price with a stainless slide(no worries of worn finish). And cheap, I paid 379 + 10 background check for my pistol new at Keiths.

I was looking at the 709 but Its not that much smaller Or lighter and it's got half the capacity. It costs as much or more than the 24/7 and has alot of bad reviews.

If you are a Glock guy, consider having grip reduction on a G19 or G23 or even maybe a G21SF.

The maker of a podcast I listen to "The Shooting Bench" owns a gun store and he's a HUGE Glock fan who does grip reductions.

<broken link removed>

Personally I carry a SW 442 revolver in my front pocket and an M&P .40 full size IWB. Love the M&P over the Glock personally for ergonomics. Maybe check an M&P .40c.

carry what your comfortable with.i would steer away from glocks. not to kick them down, but a friend of mine is a retired police chief;and he has personally seen 4 major malfunctions, and 2 more while he was there. he told me ,every glock they had at the department was sent back to glock. the first glock episode was with a state trooper, who closed the lid on his trunk and it went off.second a state trooper sat down in his patrol car , and it went off shooting him in the butt cheek.and so on. personally i dont like the feel,i dont like the action. but on the other side,there has also been alot of people who swear by them, and use them day to day without flaw. so once again, carry what you are comfortable with.i carry a COLT COMPACT and i love it.

Well this Particular gun is going to be for my fiance, as her primary carry gun. She likes the 709 because its slim and light. shes a pretty small girl (5'4 125) so if she were to carry it on her I dont think it would show.

Well this Particular gun is going to be for my fiance, as her primary carry gun. She likes the 709 because its slim and light. shes a pretty small girl (5'4 125) so if she were to carry it on her I dont think it would show.

what does she shoot well?
Can she handle a .40 cal?
How does she plan to carry?
My wife has a G26 that she shoots well enough. It's still too big for her to carry so it is her backup that stays in s DAC sportsafe in her van.
She carries a Keltec P3AT because it's small. Any bigger and it would be left in the van or home.
She can still hit a dinner plate sized target at 10 yards so it's good enough.

if I was gonan get her a glock id get her a G26, im not quite sure what options are out there as to how women carry. Im sure they are the same as guys, but women tend to dress skimpier so id assume it would be in her purse more then anything.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top