JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,
like many folks I've been steadily acquiring firearms since the first 4 years of the tenure of the greatest gun salesman in history...
Now, I'd like to sell certain pistols and rifles that I stashed away but never shot and in all likelihood never will. The thing is, I've never ever sold a firearm :)

Am I correct in the following statements?
- As a WA seller, I require prospective WA state individual buyers to submit to a background check
- I may VOLUNTARILY submit a disposition form to the State in the event of a transfer/sale of a handgun to a WA buyer
- Sales tax is not applicable if I sell to a WA individual buyer

Also, do I have any obligation to report the sale/transfer of a handgun to an out of state buyer?

Many thanks and if this has been covered in another thread, please feel free to direct me there
cheers
- J

Hi all,
like many folks I've been steadily acquiring firearms since the first 4 years of the tenure of the greatest gun salesman in history...
Now, I'd like to sell certain pistols and rifles that I stashed away but never shot and in all likelihood never will. The thing is, I've never ever sold a firearm :)

Am I correct in the following statements?
- As a WA seller, I require prospective WA state individual buyers to submit to a background check
- I may VOLUNTARILY submit a disposition form to the State in the event of a transfer/sale of a handgun to a WA buyer
- Sales tax is not applicable if I sell to a WA individual buyer

Also, do I have any obligation to report the sale/transfer of a handgun to an out of state buyer?

Many thanks and if this has been covered in another thread, please feel free to direct me there
cheers
- J
Yes you now have to have a BGC done. Most do this with a shop. I have not been to one in a long time but hear at shows they have a way for sellers to do it there. Most will advertise the gun, you can do that here. When someone wants to buy you make arrangement to meet them at a shop of your choice. Find one ahead of time that will do this and know what it costs. You meet at the shop and pay for them to transfer the gun. It's a big PITA but they conned the voters into making this law here now.

Just find a local ffl that doesn't charge more than 25 for xfer. As for out of state you are supposed to ship through a ffl as well. The only other option is to drive to the ffl in their state. You do not pay taxes on local ffl xfers. GLWTS

You HAVE to go to an FFL to do the transfer.

With very little exceptions that most likely do not include what your doing.

Someone from OR CAN buy a rifle from you at a WA FFL.

You HAVE to drive to an OR FFL to sell a handgun
OR
You have to send the handgun from your FFL in WA to their FFL in OR.

Wow. So if I understand this correctly, whether I sell a long gun or handgun on Gunbroker for example, to some buyer in Florida, WA state law mandates that I have to ship it to that out of state buyer via a WA FFL?!

Wow. So if I understand this correctly, whether I sell a long gun or handgun on Gunbroker for example, to some buyer in Florida, WA state law mandates that I have to ship it to that out of state buyer via a WA FFL?!
You can ship to another FFL if they will allow you to use them. You may have trouble finding one who will. If you want to sell out of state best read up on how before trying. The buyer would need an FFL at his end. It's up to buyer's FFL if he will let you ship to him yourself

You can ship to another FFL if they will allow you to use them. You may have trouble finding one who will. If you want to sell out of state best read up on how before trying. The buyer would need an FFL at his end. It's up to buyer's FFL if he will let you ship to him yourself

That's what I thought. I called a local FFL in Everett who I use exclusively when I've bought, and he told me the same thing.

Thanks to all who responded.

So how does one ship a gun from Oregon to Washington? Simply pack it up and go to the post office or is there a special method or sticker that must go on the box?

Hand guns can't ship through USPS, only long guns, unless you're an FFL.
Fed Ex or UPS will ship firearms, but they require overnight shipping for hand guns.
No markings on the boxes and ammo to be shipped separate.

Sounds expensive. Someone just requested a handgun I have for sale but when I told the guy I wanted the FFL info before the money to verify it he stopped talking to me. He was in a big hurry until then.

Sounds expensive. Someone just requested a handgun I have for sale but when I told the guy I wanted the FFL info before the money to verify it he stopped talking to me. He was in a big hurry until then.

Sounds like someone was either trying to scam you or set you up. You as the gun owner can ship it to anyone with an FFL or to a manufacturer. Can't use USPS for the handguns if you are not an FFL. If you use FedEx Or UPS and tell them what you are doing it may well not go well. Many of the drones working there will tell you they don't do it at all. After you get enough managers involved you should be OK. They will tell you it "has to go over night". There is no law about that. They started doing that because they could not control theft by employee's. So best way is not to tell them it's a firearm. If you are sending one in for repair it's best to abbreviate the name enough to not stand out.
It's why it;s far easier to get an FFL to do it for you if you can. Most don't charge much for the service and they can use priority mail. Next day air is stupid expensive.

If you have a FFL that you go to on a regular basis I suggest going and asking them all the questions you have. They will not tell you to do something that is against the law unless they want to go to federal prison. ;)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews