JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So with a three day release of a firearm and your bgc is not completed can you resell or trade your firearm or must one wait til the bgc completes?
I don't know for sure, but since in Oregon, the serial is included, it may throw a flag in the system. Then again, I'll bet the system is archaic and probably wouldn't notice.

"possession is 9/10th of the law", IMO yes. You bought it lawfully. Its yours to sell at any time.

that said, I would be more concerned if any buyer didnt clear their background check after their 3 days...

So with a three day release of a firearm and your bgc is not completed can you resell or trade your firearm or must one wait til the bgc completes?
BGC does not transfer the firearm. Form 4473 is for the purpose of bgc and for atf tracking. People think it is a transfer document but it is not. There is not a title the state sends you (like with a vehicle) nor a deed recorded with the county (like with real property). Fe in Oregon you can legally transfer the firearm to a family member with no bgc.

Having said that, the transferor takes on the risk of the initial background check being denied, and also the risk of the bgc for the new transferee being denied. If either of those happen then it's legally a mess Imo. Vetting the buyer and them showing their chl for example may make someone more comfortable with the risk.

Seems to me the 3 day rule was started to be used in OR due to the "emergency" created by the pending m114 law (before it was enjoined). Similarly now WA has the "assault weapon" ban and threaded pistol ban looming. "Risk tolerance" (for those who did not buy earlier) may be different under such a situation compared to normal I would think. All just 2 cents

Form 4473 showing purpose is to aid ffl to see if it's a legal sale or not (bgc and letting them know of any restrictions) and atf record keeping. It does not transfer the weapon.
46A3EE76-B598-47FB-A91B-5792561331E8.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews