JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
On the subject of a rifles weight...
Yes 9-11 pounds can seem and feel heavy , especially when you read of rifles in the 6.5-8 pound range...
And yes again to when you actually get out and hunt as opposed to road or truck hunting a pound or two can make a huge difference.

With all that said...
My favorite rifle to shoot and hunt with weighs in at 10 pounds...but because of how it fits me and the "balance" of how it carries...I tend not to notice the weight , even after a long hunt.
The fit and balance of a given rifle can out "weigh" the weight , of the rifle , if the rifle fits and carries well for you.
Andy

I struggle with this weight issue at age 70. I have a naked Vanguard 308 thinking that it weights about 7.5 pounds or 7.75 pounds but adding a 20 ounce scope will make it about 9 plus pounds vs. Tika 3 plus about 6 pounds naked nearly 2 pounds less, but carry weight would be great but shooting accuracy on the range or the woods might be a problem. Any ideas? Maybe mothball the Vanguard and buy the Tika 3 plus?

I struggle with this weight issue at age 70. I have a naked Vanguard 308 thinking that it weights about 7.5 pounds or 7.75 pounds but adding a 20 ounce scope will make it about 9 plus pounds vs. Tika 3 plus about 6 pounds naked nearly 2 pounds less, but carry weight would be great but shooting accuracy on the range or the woods might be a problem. Any ideas? Maybe mothball the Vanguard and buy the Tika 3 plus?

I like the Tikka T3x superlite. Out of all the new manufactured rifles made today, that's the one I always recommend. They are light (for the most part), fairly rugged, and accurate as hell. I've carried them out in the woods on hunts and they carry and balance well. Andy's points on balance are extremely crucial in a hunting rifle. I've sold rifles that I carried in the woods for 1 day that were so unbalanced, it actually tires you out more, just dealing with how they carry. And when I'm hunting, I have my rifle in my hand all day long. Not slinged up on my shoulder. The public land unit I hunt bull elk on has a 4% hunter's success rate. You can bet, I'm not going to be fumbling around with a rifle slinged over my shoulder. I'm going to be as ready for the shot as I can get. Now back to the Tikka, the reason I say they are light for the most part, I had a 7mm rem mag superlite and after adding the scope, it weighed in at 7.25 pounds:
1WBhM3r.jpg

Now compare that to my old winchester model 70 338wm that weighs in at 8 pounds with scope:
LLATmUF.jpg

I'm not going to cry about 3/4 of a pound.. Now, in your case, 2 pounds may be a noticeable difference. A 7.25 pound rifle is still pretty stable for shooting in most field positions. Plus the Tikka makes up for it a lot, in the accuracy department. I'd also look at the T3X superlite over the older T3 lite. Just a few more upgrades that make it a little nicer.

I like the Tikka T3x superlite. Out of all the new manufactured rifles made today, that's the one I always recommend. They are light (for the most part), fairly rugged, and accurate as hell. I've carried them out in the woods on hunts and they carry and balance well. Andy's points on balance are extremely crucial in a hunting rifle. I've sold rifles that I carried in the woods for 1 day that were so unbalanced, it actually tires you out more, just dealing with how they carry. And when I'm hunting, I have my rifle in my hand all day long. Not slinged up on my shoulder. The public land unit I hunt bull elk on has a 4% hunter's success rate. You can bet, I'm not going to be fumbling around with a rifle slinged over my shoulder. I'm going to be as ready for the shot as I can get. Now back to the Tikka, the reason I say they are light for the most part, I had a 7mm rem mag superlite and after adding the scope, it weighed in at 7.25 pounds:
View attachment 497196

Now compare that to my old winchester model 70 338wm that weighs in at 8 pounds with scope:
View attachment 497197

I'm not going to cry about 3/4 of a pound.. Now, in your case, 2 pounds may be a noticeable difference. A 7.25 pound rifle is still pretty stable for shooting in most field positions. Plus the Tikka makes up for it a lot, in the accuracy department. I'd also look at the T3X superlite over the older T3 lite. Just a few more upgrades that make it a little nicer.
Well damn...you might cry if you shoot a 338winmag that is less than 8 lbs.
I agree though , the superlites are nice.

I think the factory stock is a place the Vanguard can lose weight. I will be restocking mine into a much lighter stock.

could you guess as to what the weight would be assembled without scope?

I can weigh one of the rifles I still have in the box at home and post it once I get back. I'm going to take the factory stock off and weigh it as well. I'm guessing its around 32oz or so. Thats pretty common for factory synthetics. A McMillan would come in around 24oz. Thats a half pound there.

I can weigh one of the rifles I still have in the box at home and post it once I get back. I'm going to take the factory stock off and weigh it as well. I'm guessing its around 32oz or so. Thats pretty common for factory synthetics. A McMillan would come in around 24oz. Thats a half pound there.
THANKS. I am torn to just mothball the Vanguard or pay the down stroke for a tikka 3 superlite. I do like the Vanguard very much but for the weight. I like the 24 inch barrel and potential accuracy.

The Vanguard is a Japanese made Howa for Weatherby, and a great action. Replace the trigger to improve it a bunch. The stock second. My 30-06 is sub MOA with a Burris FF 3-9x40 and handloads.

D

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top