JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all now that I’m finally getting my CHL again I’ve been debating on what type of firearm I would like to conceal carry. Even though I love shooting my 92FS I think that’s a little big to be luggin’ around town. :)

I’ve read the threads and done a bit of my own research but I’m still torn between a few things….mainly on size of gun. I’m fine with 9mm and bigger not sure if I want to go down to .380 what are the thoughts on that? Also I vacillate between having a small ‘pocket pistol’ that I can literally put in my pocket to something that is a bit bigger. I’d most likely carry IWB or on my ankle.

Anyways here are the guns I’m considering, would love any feedback on these guns.

Taurus 24/7 – I really liked the feel of this at the gun shop, might take some getting used to size wise.

Taurus 709 – also nice, a bit smaller than the 24/7

Kelt-TecP38t & Ruger LCP – these are fine, inexpensive, I know I would have no problem carrying or concealing them but they're .380.

The last gun that I don’t remember seeing in the shop but have since read loads about on the ‘Net is Kahr CW9.
I saw Playboy Penguin’s video and have read many other rave reviews and it seems everyone likes it. I’d have to handle it to see if it’s even in the running, but it is on the high side of what I want to spend ($400ish).

Anyways I’d love any feedback on my selection and if there are any pros/cons that I should know about. I agree with what Sheepdog said in the other thread about conceal carry “Buy what you will wear EVERYDAY”.
Very true :s0155:

Look into the Kahr PM9. It is a bit pricey depending on the model you want, but it's a top notch piece. I've had mine for about a month now and I love carrying it. The trigger is nice and smooth and the weight and size are favorable for concealed carry. It is not quite as small as the LCP, but I am able to carry it in my front pocket if I wanted to. This past weekend I put some Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P Short Barrel through it and they fed and ejected perfectly. So far I have about 300rds through it.

I had a 24/7, loved the feel, but it was the most unreliable pistol I have ever owned. It had so many FTE, I dumped it ASAP. I like tuarus, good value. I have a PT92 that is rock solid, but the 24/7 is bad

Last edited by a moderator:
The P3AT is certainly small and concealable, but it's really not accurate at all.
Probably more of a BUG or occasional carry (e.g. formal wear)

Have you checked out the Walther PPS? Using an in the pant holster I can carry while wearing shorts and a t-shirt and you couldn't tell.

pros: Very accurate, easy to field strip, size makes it easy to carry.
Neg: Price, and rnd capacity

My first reaction is "Taurus? Yuck!"

Of the guns you mentioned I would definitely spend the extra few dollars and get the Kahr CW9. It is a "no brainer" IMHO.

I did see a Taurus 709 with stainless slide at the Gun broker yesterday. It really is not a bad looking pistol and does have some promise. Then I made the mistake of racking the slide and pulling the trigger...very cheap, poor trigger and the slide felt like it had sand in it. That does not mean it will be a bad gun, but it is not in the same league as the CW9. :(

Ever consider a 1911? Very thin... easy to conceal in the gov model... The also can be fairly light with an Aluminum frame. A Kimber Pro Carry weighs like 28 oz empty...

I love my CW9. Accurate, dependable and easy and comfortable to conceal with a cheap DiSantis IWB holster. I also have a PPS, but have not yet found a hoslter for it. I looked at the PT709 but is essentially the same size as a CW9. I would not hesitate to endorse any Kahr product. KelTeks are reputed to be reliable, but they just don't feel well made to me. How something feels to me is important.

Thanks for the reply guys.
I guess I have some more decisions to make and I'll have to spend some more time fondling different guns (that's not a bad thing) :s0114:

I appreciate your honest replies on the different Taurus models. I learn more from people's real experience rather then what the guy behind the counter says.

I have always wanted a 1911, but didn't consider it for CC. I'll look into the governor's model for sure.

Also I had not considered the Walther PPS or the XD9 Subcompact. The XD9 looks very compact, I'll have to hold it and see how it feels.

Looks like it's another field trip to the gun broker! I'll pay closer attention to their selection of Kahrs as well, wanna check out the CW9.

Oh!
I also wanted to add that I'm left-handed. So any gun that has ambidextrous features, rates higher on my list. Not the end of the world if it doesn't since 99% of the firearms I own are made for right-handers...just thought I'd throw that out there.

XD 9 Subcompact
I will second that suggestion. I am carrying one right now...except mine is the XD-40. :)

PS: No ambi safety needed since their is no safety. The mag release is ambi though.

XDcarry.jpg

Wavo, I carry a Taurus PT145milpro in a don hume JIT slide holster... I love this combo, i can get away with just a tshirt over the rig and the taurus is very light. forsurley look at the 24/7's!!! I wont use a different rig to be honest, I now have 2 JIT slides.. cant beatem and theyre cheap..

Well, I'm a revolver guy but I owned an XD-40 subcompact and can vouch for it as a nice shooting piece and the ergonomics were better for me than a Glock. I ran about 600 rnds through mine before selling it. Nothing wrong with the XD but when a revolver is what feels right to you, the semi auto feels like it's about to fly apart.

Ever consider a 1911? Very thin... easy to conceal in the gov model... The also can be fairly light with an Aluminum frame. A Kimber Pro Carry weighs like 28 oz empty...

...and will hurt your hand every time you fire .45 through it :-(

.45 through a 5" steel 1911 - shoot it all day and love it.
.45 through a 3" aluminum 1911 - not so much.

Unless the gun is comfortable enough to go to the range and shoot a couple hundred rounds at a time, it's not worth carrying.

Personally, I don't carry any pistol that doesn't have night sights. Because, you know, I might need to use my gun at night ;-)

Some other thoughts:

Glock 26 - legendary Glock reliability, night sights, comfortable to shoot, just works

Sig P238 - .380, very sweet trigger, nice night sights, very light

I carry either, or a G19, depending on circumstance. Usually it's either the G19 or the Sig P238.

And I like Speer 124gr +p Gold Dots in 9mm. 400 ft lbs and great Speer construction.

I'm a lefty as well. You should check out the sig p232 it has a decocker and is reasonably lightweight. You should be able to find one in the $475 range. I carry mine in a highnoon or milt sparks holser. BTW my LCP also fits in the highnoon IWB holster.

I have a 709 that I really like. I was also looking at the keltecs and LCP, but decided to go with the 709 because 9mm is easy to find, and I think the quality is better than the keltec. The trigger has a long travel, but there is no resistence until the very end when it breaks very crisply. I like the 709 trigger more than my USP trigger.

Well I'm still undecided. Went to the gunbroker and they didn't have any Kahr CW9's...looked at the .40 XD Sub compact and a Walther...and many others.

Let me ask those of you that carry a .380 caliber, do you feel that it's powerful enough? I know it's no .44 magnum, just haven't spent much time shooting it.

Does anyone have any experience with a Beretta 85 Cheetah? They have a used one at the shop that I've been eyeing. Mainly b/c it's a miniature version of my 92FS but more importantly b/c I can make it 100% lefty. I like the idea of having one in the pipe and a safety I can switch off/on. Seems several of the compacts I have looked at have no safety.

For just $50 more they had a Para Ordinance Warthog (.45 cal) that was pretty sweet, but it just didn't feel as good as the Beretta.

Dayumn.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads