JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
(I thought I would repost this here since the board could use all the activity it can get at this age)

I refinished my new-to-me S&W m649-2 last night. I picked it up last week after seeing it at my dealers. I had been wanting one for awhile and could not pass this one up at $345. It did have some minor damage and looked kind of rough over-all but was in mechanically fine shape. In fact it seemed like it had been "carried often and fired rarely" which seems quite common with j-frames.

I ended up putting a pretty good shine on it. Not quite a mirror finish, but more reflective than the standard Smith finish. It took a little longer than I thought it would because I noticed some pitting under the original grips that needed to be removed. It took awhile, but I finally managed to get all the nicks off the body of the gun too.

I finally have a place to put the Hogue lamo-camo grips I had on my departed m642.

BEFORE
m649.jpg

AFTER

Here are a couple pics that show the side plate before and after the nick removal. Ignore the purple cast to the gun finish. it is shiny now and the room I took the pics in has purple walls. :)

Before
nicks.jpg

After
de-nicked.jpg

Penguin,

I've noticed your pictures and I must say I'm very impressed. Aside from the quality work though... might you explain your photographic technique?

I used 400grit wet paper with a little gun oil on it to remove the nicks. Then I went over the surfaces with OOO synthetic steel wool sheets to soften the finish. Finally I hand buffed the whole thing with Mother's Mag polish. :)

Penguin,

I've noticed your pictures and I must say I'm very impressed. Aside from the quality work though... might you explain your photographic technique?
Thanks, my pics are definitely not artistic buy I try to make them look good. I try to stick strictly to emphasizing the form of the guns. I posted a quick example of how I take them in this thread...
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2921

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top