JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
(I thought I would repost this here since the board could use all the activity it can get at this age)

I refinished my new-to-me S&W m649-2 last night. I picked it up last week after seeing it at my dealers. I had been wanting one for awhile and could not pass this one up at $345. It did have some minor damage and looked kind of rough over-all but was in mechanically fine shape. In fact it seemed like it had been "carried often and fired rarely" which seems quite common with j-frames.

I ended up putting a pretty good shine on it. Not quite a mirror finish, but more reflective than the standard Smith finish. It took a little longer than I thought it would because I noticed some pitting under the original grips that needed to be removed. It took awhile, but I finally managed to get all the nicks off the body of the gun too.

I finally have a place to put the Hogue lamo-camo grips I had on my departed m642.

BEFORE
m649.jpg

AFTER

Here are a couple pics that show the side plate before and after the nick removal. Ignore the purple cast to the gun finish. it is shiny now and the room I took the pics in has purple walls. :)

Before
nicks.jpg

After
de-nicked.jpg

Penguin,

I've noticed your pictures and I must say I'm very impressed. Aside from the quality work though... might you explain your photographic technique?

I used 400grit wet paper with a little gun oil on it to remove the nicks. Then I went over the surfaces with OOO synthetic steel wool sheets to soften the finish. Finally I hand buffed the whole thing with Mother's Mag polish. :)

Penguin,

I've noticed your pictures and I must say I'm very impressed. Aside from the quality work though... might you explain your photographic technique?
Thanks, my pics are definitely not artistic buy I try to make them look good. I try to stick strictly to emphasizing the form of the guns. I posted a quick example of how I take them in this thread...
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2921

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads