JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I hope you're speaking out of frustration.
At first, you thought these guys were bums, just out looking for change from bottles and cans we put out. Certainly, there are far more people in this situation than people trying to steal identities out of recycling bins.

I should hope that you don't attempt to threaten or hurt the next bum looking for your castaway cans on suspicion that he may be stealing your identity.

Locking mailboxes and paper shredders have been around for a long time, as have the recommendations to use them.

In corvallis, there have been shootings of bums going through garbage :s0131:

I usually treat them politely like I'm doing them a favor as a friend, with verbiage such as "you really shouldn't trespass on private property, I could have accidentally thought you were a burglar and shot you"

I like that.

Also C&H: Yes I was speaking out of frustration. I wouldn't really attempt harm. I just hate that criminals know that most honest people pose no threat to them because we can only take serious action against them when the situation is juuust right.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to just shred everything and not worry about my garbage anymore. There won't be anything in it worth worrying about at that point anyway.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to just shred everything and not worry about my garbage anymore. There won't be anything in it worth worrying about at that point anyway.

I keep the shredder right by my mail slot so I can feed the junk mail right into it. I pay bills online so as soon as they are paid they go straight into the shredder, that way if I have the bill I know it's not paid.

You have the right to buy and use a paper shreading machine.
I prefer a 'cross cut' thet cuts the documents into small 1" pieces.
OPP's! Sorry for the 'late post'

You have the right to buy and use a paper shreading machine.
I prefer a 'cross cut' thet cuts the documents into small 1" pieces.
OPP's! Sorry for the 'late post'
anything that has an account number on it goes in my shredder... our paper recycle bin is for all other non critical info. At most they would find my address and name in recycling.

ON a side note i was already warned by the nice lady down at the recycle center... she is very aware of what she recycles, she knows the type of individuals that are doing the sorting at the centers...

I totally agree with the shredder thing, usually there is nothing that goes out that even has our names or addresses on it.

Side notes: With credit cards frozen, this is a good reminder for folks to keep some spare cash at home. Also, Shredded paper does great things in the garden or worm compost bin.

i see u r in vancouver as am i, do u mind sharing your zip code or the closet largely known road to u, i need to keep an eye out for this type of BS, a friend of mine who lives on 53rd on the way up to jones creek chased a couple tweeks 2 weeks ago for about 5 miles in his car.

sorry to hear someones rummaging thru your garbage.. I have had 2 instances where someone used my credit card.I only use my card once or twice a month. one was when i purchased a case of ammo from midway shooting supplies, I like to check my credit card account weekly, about a week after my purchase, i saw several charges to an online gambling site i immediately called the credit card company and told them of the discrepantcy which they removed from my account instantly,had them start the process of getting me a new card a.s.a.p., then sent a e-mail to midway telling them what had happened and suggesting they check there system for someone stealing credit card numbers,, never did here back from them. the second time was when i was flying out of bari,sicily, italy..I used my credit card to buy a ticket to rome and checked my credit card account the next day,, someone had used my account to buy another airline ticket to venice....the credit card company was good about cancelling that charge as well.

i see u r in vancouver as am i, do u mind sharing your zip code or the closet largely known road to u, i need to keep an eye out for this type of BS, a friend of mine who lives on 53rd on the way up to jones creek chased a couple tweeks 2 weeks ago for about 5 miles in his car.

Yes this was in the area commonly known as "Rosemere." One of the nearest large intersections is SR-500 and St. John's road. The men were wearing hooded sweatshirts with the hoods up (one black, one gray). They drove a gray 4-door car that looked like a 90-95 Toyota, Nissan, or possibly a Geo. If I had been quicker to get on their tail they wouldn't have outran me. I'm privileged to have about ~250hp under the hood of my car :D but like I said, I would've called the police and just tailed them until the the police showed.

But after learning that garbage is "up for grabs" once it's in the street, it sounds like 911 would've been pointless.

the garbage is not up for grabs, it becomes the property of the waste company and is still stealing and its still your personal information... if it was up for grabs more people would be doing it and individuals wouldnt have gotten arrested for it in the past. a mail box isnt on your property either is your mail up for grabs, absolutly not.

the garbage is not up for grabs, it becomes the property of the waste company and is still stealing and its still your personal information... if it was up for grabs more people would be doing it and individuals wouldnt have gotten arrested for it in the past. a mail box isnt on your property either is your mail up for grabs, absolutly not.

there has been a ruling by our courts that anything in the garbage on the curb is not YOUR property anymore. The LEO's were going through garbage for clues to criminal activity were accused of theft from private property. Anything you throw away and put on the curb is no longer yours. Now, if the garbage/recycling is back behind the fence on your property then that's a different story. At that point it's still yours, but I certainly wouldn't start shooting anyone over it!!

A mail box, even on your property and that you paid for and put up is Federal property, so taking mail from a mail box is a Federal offense.

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR