JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Murray signs Seattle gun tax; Detroit top cop has better idea

Seattle anti-gunners are gloating, and soliciting money, following Friday's signing by Mayor Ed Murray of the gun and ammunition tax ordinance, which Paul Constant at Civic Skunk Works thinks will "undoubtedly save lives."

<broken link removed>

55 views and no comments, guess that says what we think of that stupid idea.

I thought that Washington had a state preemption law that would make local ordinances like this illegal?? Is that not true?? Certainly someone who lives in Washington must have some info about that.

Back in 1819, Chief Justice John Marshall declared in a famous US Supreme Court decision that: "the power to tax is the power to destroy".

Simply by increasing this tax to prohibitive levels, the city can effectively end gun and ammo sales in the city, if they want to.

2A rights are NOT taxable.

Where is the NRA and GOA on this?!

I've seen some news reports claiming that legal challenges would be made. But I've yet to see anything from any gun rights groups saying that they were definitely going to go ahead and do so.

Grandmothers Against Gun Violence was a key lobbying group that pressured the Seattle city council to pass the ordinance. They marched to city hall and demanded that the council put an end to gun violence.

So the answer is to tax law abiding gun owners? Where is the logic in doing that?

The world appears to have gone insane.

31316548-3f9c-11e5-973f-763de49a49f3-1560x1551.jpg

It is interesting that the stated goal is 300K-500K in annual tax revenue to fund prevention programs. Someone needs to send these folks back through a course in Economics 101. What they are doing is hammering two groups that can least afford it; small business owners and the lower income segment of the population. Anyone that can afford it will simply shop for a gun or ammunition outside of the city limits and will probably do their other shopping there as well while they're at it. Those that can't afford to travel simply will not be able to purchase a firearm or ammunition. Both scenarios are bad for the small business gun shops located within the city limits. Eventually they will be forced to move or close.
So longer term you have fewer businesses within the city limits paying taxes and you have city residents doing their shopping outside of the city creating revenue and tax income for our cities. I would suspect that this new tax will cost the city more money than it will generate. But then, I've never known a liberal that met a tax they didn't like.
As far as saving lives; restricting access has worked out really well for Chicago, LA, Washington, DC and on and on and on...add Seattle to the list.

It is interesting that the stated goal is 300K-500K in annual tax revenue to fund prevention programs. Someone needs to send these folks back through a course in Economics 101. What they are doing is hammering two groups that can least afford it; small business owners and the lower income segment of the population. Anyone that can afford it will simply shop for a gun or ammunition outside of the city limits and will probably do their other shopping there as well while they're at it. Those that can't afford to travel simply will not be able to purchase a firearm or ammunition. Both scenarios are bad for the small business gun shops located within the city limits. Eventually they will be forced to move or close.
So longer term you have fewer businesses within the city limits paying taxes and you have city residents doing their shopping outside of the city creating revenue and tax income for our cities. I would suspect that this new tax will cost the city more money than it will generate. But then, I've never known a liberal that met a tax they didn't like.
As far as saving lives; restricting access has worked out really well for Chicago, LA, Washington, DC and on and on and on...add Seattle to the list.

Just catch a bus, or the light rail, down to Des Moines or Federal Way, or east over to Bellevue. Outdoor Emporium will likely lose a bit of business, being near Safeco Field. I know I'm finished shopping there for guns & ammo if this tax flies.

I've seen some news reports claiming that legal challenges would be made. But I've yet to see anything from any gun rights groups saying that they were definitely going to go ahead and do so.

Grandmothers Against Gun Violence was a key lobbying group that pressured the Seattle city council to pass the ordinance. They marched to city hall and demanded that the council put an end to gun violence.

So the answer is to tax law abiding gun owners? Where is the logic in doing that?

The world appears to have gone insane.

View attachment 253362
We need a "Gun owners against violence" movement. It's en vogue, and probably more honest.

Just catch a bus, or the light rail, down to Des Moines or Federal Way, or east over to Bellevue. Outdoor Emporium will likely lose a bit of business, being near Safeco Field. I know I'm finished shopping there for guns & ammo if this tax flies.

Well, the tax does not go into effect until January 1, 2016. Hopefully the NRA or someone can figure out a way to try to sue to stop it before that.

So how much will the tax be ten years from now? Once they open the door the taxes can be as much as they want, look at cigarettes. Stand against it or bow to your rulers.o_O

New highly restrictive laws and new targeted taxes - at least they are consistent. These fools and the complete morons that continue to elect them actually believe laws and taxes will stop violence. Funny, because it was highly restrictive laws and targeted taxes that caused the rebellion against Britain that led to the colonies declaring independence from Britain and birthing the greatest nation in the world.

I don't understand the nanny-state mentality that SO MANY Americans have these days. Perhaps having too many years of freedom from true oppression has weakened their puny little brains. Shame on everyone that continues to support this type of government over-reach.

"Help me Mr./Mrs. Government! I need you to control and restrict every part of my life so I can maintain my illusion of safety, prosperity through more taxes and the freedom to smoke pot (so I'm too stoned to see what's really going on around me)! Only the government can save us!!!"

We are in the crapper for sure :(

I fear that you are correct, and I simply can't LOL at that :(
I know. "lols" are cheap, shallow and lazy but I try to not be a hard arse.. hence I'll throw those down just to make people think a bit. and to perhaps not get in trouble so often
It's actually heartbreaking.

I know. "lols" are cheap, shallow and lazy but I try to not be a hard arse.. hence I'll throw those down just to make people think a bit. and to perhaps not get in trouble so often
It's actually heartbreaking.

I didn't mean to come across critical of your "LOL" in any way (just in case it sounded that way). Just conveying my heartbreak over it too. Such a disappointing direction of things in this country right now, and knowing that folks are all too eager to give government nearly carte blanche to pull these stunts, I'm really quite shocked and definitely dismayed.

Police chief you mean?

Detroit is still a cess pool with high unemployment high crime and corrupt coty government - it is what seattle is headed for. Between their stupid taxes, $15/hr min wage bs, war on guns, and commies on the city council they actively trying to become the crime capitol of the west.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top