JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

I am in the process of applying for a CHL. I just received an email from Multnomah County for my CHL appointment, and one thing caught my eye:

YOU MUST BRING THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS TO YOUR APPOINTMENT. IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION, YOU MAY BE ASKED TO RESCHEDULE.
- Proof of residency in Multnomah County (Oregon) or Washington state by providing one of the following: current driver's license, previous year's state tax return, real property ownership in Multnomah county (or Washington state), voter's registration card or current rent or lease agreement. (A state ID card is NOT acceptable proof of residence).

That last bit struck me as odd. "A state ID card is NOT acceptable proof of residence."

I don't understand how that would be the case, as they both require the same documentation when you apply for them, and they have all the same information on them. Other Oregon counties don't seem to mind if you give them a DL or ID card. From the Douglas County website:

Identification:

Two forms of ID are required, one of which must be a photo ID. Types of ID that are acceptable include:

• A US Passport
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • FFS240 (Foreign Service Document) issued at birth
  • US Birth Certificate
  • Original Naturalized Citizenship Certificate
  • A valid drivers license or state issued ID card.

Now I'm concerned, as my only photo ID is an Oregon identification card. Is this going to be a problem? Are they even allowed to refuse to accept my Oregon ID? Thanks for the help!

Mult. Co. will do everything to keep anyone from being able to exercise their constitutional right to carry a gun. Please let us know how this plays out...

Thanks. Any advice people have would be great. It seems like they're just creating barriers to entry.

I emailed Kevin at OFF as well, to see if he has any thoughts or advice on the matter.

As things currently stand, I'm just going to bring as much documentation as possible to the appointment - my ID, voter registration, rental lease agreement, and my vital records. I hope that will satisfy them, but I'll keep everyone updated in case someone encounters this problem in the future.

Interesting, sounds like they are trying to make it harder on folks to get them. It may be coincidence, but my experience years ago working in retail, I noticed that the folks with ID cards and no driver's licenses tended to be low income and minority - no that there should necessarily be any correlation there, just something I noticed. If that's still the case, it would seem that Multnomah county is attempting to disenfranchise certain citizens from being able to attain a CHL - and that wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Do you have a passport? That may be able to help you out, just a thought.

Do you have a passport? That may be able to help you out, just a thought.

No, but I can probably get one. Oddly enough, you'll note in Multnomah County's email, they never specify they require a photo ID at all. I'm hoping the Voter ID and a credit card will do it. Judging by the text of the email it seems that way.

I Always thought from a legal standpoint a state ID is as valid as a drivers license. They just want people to go thru as many hoops as possible to discourage anything to do with exercising your right.
My guess is if you have to push the issue it will be accepted.

No, but I can probably get one. Oddly enough, you'll note in Multnomah County's email, they never specify they require a photo ID at all. I'm hoping the Voter ID and a credit card will do it. Judging by the text of the email it seems that way.
If you're trying to provide proof of residence, the credit card itself doesn't mean squat. You'll need the credit card bill with the same address as your other documents. As far as the state ID. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't satisfy the Real ID requirements.

By all means, get a passport if you don't have or can't obtain a valid drivers license.

If you're trying to provide proof of residence, the credit card itself doesn't mean squat. You'll need the credit card bill with the same address as your other documents. As far as the state ID. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't satisfy the Real ID requirements.

By all means, get a passport if you don't have or can't obtain a valid drivers license.

I definitely plan on getting a passport this year.

Per their words, a credit card would be OK as a "secondary piece of ID." I'll bring a statement too, just in case. That's a great idea.

Considering the wait for this appointment, I'd rather be over-prepared than under-prepared. From their e-mail:

Second piece of ID – photo on ID is not mandatory (valid US passport, employee ID card, credit/debit card, etc.)

As far as RealID, I don't think that is the issue, since ODOT put out a <broken link removed> stating as follows:
Oregon-issued driver licenses and identification cards will be accepted for federal ID purposes through at least June 6, 2017. If Homeland Security declines to renew Oregon's extension next June, the federal government will phase in limitations on where the state's ID can be accepted for federal purposes.

Also, we're getting real close to the end of our RealID extension. I'm glad we've held off this long - I don't know how I feel about RealID. At first glance, it feels like a bit of overreach by the Federal government. You know, states rights and all that.

Interesting that the State ID cards will be accepted. One of the reasons for Real ID was to allow non-citizens to obtain identification cards and drivers licenses and still be identified one way or the other as far as citizenship. Also does away with some forms of discrimination since LE is able to tell citizenship without asking for "papers" unnecessarily. I think it's a good idea. With the controversy over people being in our country illegally, makes it easy to tell.

If you were born in Oregon go down to the Public Health Division, 800 NE Oregon Street, Room 205, Portland, OR 97232 Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and get a certified copy of your Birth Certificate.

It may be that you're not under the same legal obligation to keep the address on your state ID card up-to-date, unlike a driver's license, so the county could make the argument they can't rely on a state ID as proof of current residency.

Update: So, while I was in the office I asked about this particular detail, and I was told that they don't allow ID cars because the law explicitly says "Driver's License."

I'd have to go back and re-read the ORS text to confirm, but I couldn't find anything in ORS 166.291 explicitly requiring a "Driver's License."

Whatever. It wasn't worth getting in an argument over anyway, it's not like I would "win" that one. I just wound up giving them a copy of some other document, instead. They did confirm my face with my ID card, but wound up using some other random document to establish my residency in MultCo.

Does this mean your getting you CHL without having a drivers license?

Yes. I wound up still needing an Oregon Identification Card to confirm my identity while in the office, but I imagine any kind of Photo ID would suffice.

1. Fill out <broken link removed> , and
2. Provide one of the following items:
- Current Driver's License
- Voter's Registration Card
- Previous Year's Oregon Tax Return
- Current Rent or Lease Agreement
- Real Property Ownership in Multnomah County​

Either way the whole "Identification Card vs. Driver's License" bit was weird.

Yes. I wound up still needing an Oregon Identification Card to confirm my identity while in the office, but I imagine any kind of Photo ID would suffice.

1. Fill out <broken link removed> , and
2. Provide one of the following items:
- Current Driver's License
- Voter's Registration Card
- Previous Year's Oregon Tax Return
- Current Rent or Lease Agreement
- Real Property Ownership in Multnomah County​

Either way the whole "Identification Card vs. Driver's License" bit was weird.

this is good to know... and a good thing for gun rights, a baby step anyways...

this makes me question the rule that requires your drivers license address to match your CHL address. Ive heard this for years and always thought it was the law but I still havent found that law....

Anyone know?

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads