JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
F07108ED-8742-427E-8ECD-044F798F4B1D.jpeg DFA4D992-0CB2-4A65-AC00-6D36B90C055A.jpeg E1C84450-AF5B-4D69-9C7D-429E248D2CDD.jpeg I moved out of Vancouver (worked in and around Portland) about 4 weeks ago.

Came to Ohio.

Now we're renting a farm house.
125 acres
1/4 acre or more size pond just off the back deck. Stocked full of bluegill, bass, and perch.
Nice house with two barns, two zero turn mowers, the side lawn is about 2 acres a full of apple, peach, and cherry trees.
Picked a bucket full of cherries this morning.
House is about a 1/4 mile back from the road.
Deer live on the property and the owner said I can shoot anything I want.

Not a homeless person within an hours drive or more.

Nice small town of about 600 people.

They are renting us the place for $750 a month.

Yeah I'm glad we left the west coast.

There's good and bad here. The weather is pretty rough. It's been hot and humid.

The dang cicadas are swarming like nothing I've ever seen. But they are kinda fun and harmless. 157BD934-1CB7-45A2-8154-E5E03724C3CC.jpeg

Moving to Idaho. Bought a place last year, moving next spring.

Why Idaho?

A more politically conservative state with a drier climate, closer to the outdoor areas I favor, 50% lower cost of living, no thieving homeless drug addicts 200 feet from my house, a place where the rule of law still exists (they even send people to prison for life, gasp!), no mentally ill rioters looting, burning, assaulting others, a more politically balanced legislature, lower taxes, less government regulation, no Kate Brown.

I don't relish moving; I'm a life long Oregonian and while my ancestors were early "evil racist colonizers" 170 years ago, I believe we've given more than we've taken. I've watched this state move inexorably to the left over the past 30 years, while I've lobbied, written, voted, donated time and money against the growing Marxist policies and one party rule that now smother this state.

It's well past time to go.

Until the voters in Portland change their views, Oregon is a lost cause. These past 2 years have, to me, amply demonstrated that fact. I'm thankful I've got a way out.

Last Edited:
On the west side of the Cascades, yes, unless you are up in the mountains, in which case it can get a bit cold and a LOT of snow.
True indeed. I'd add some of us like the climate on the east side. Years ago we lived way off the beaten path in the high plains of eastern Oregon. The weather differences were much more so in that area, with bitter cold winters, and hot summers. But I actually enjoyed it; four distinct seasons, rather than more or less the same all the time. And I really like dry, hot weather, so the summers weren't bad. It certainly isn't for everyone though.

Why relocate. Stupids moved here and ruined a half way ok state they are the ones that should be looking to relocate.
They are kinda like a stalker its only takes time for them to catch up with you.

I know people who left for Georgia, Florida, Texas, Idaho, and Montana. Everyone I know who has left Oregon is happy with their decision.

It is beautiful here, and I wonder if I would miss it.
But I am tired of the militant Marxist wokescolds. And they are *everywhere*. They will bristle at the slightest provocation. Even as guests in my house. No manners and no standards. Just rude ugly people.

True indeed. I'd add some of us like the climate on the east side. Years ago we lived way off the beaten path in the high plains of eastern Oregon. The weather differences were much more so in that area, with bitter cold winters, and hot summers. But I actually enjoyed it; four distinct seasons, rather than more or less the same all the time. And I really like dry, hot weather, so the summers weren't bad. It certainly isn't for everyone though.
Where I live, I rarely ever need to heat the place and nobody has any sort of cooling system save windows and perhaps a fan.

I certainly love my job, that's about all keeping us here. I always said I'd die here but if anything happened at my work, we'd be gone like a fart in the wind. This state has always been a little too liberal but has really gotten bad, I've got family roots going back to when Tillamook was pioneered. Even have family in the museum there. Now, I'm EMBARRASSED to admit where I reside.

I understand this post is likely directed at Oregonians.....whatever.

From Washington, I am moving rather soon, to NV or AZ, I have not quite decided which state but I expect to be on the road HOPEFULLY after Independence Day. I expect NV to be my place to relocate because of the no income tax but its lack of OTC hunting tags hurts me, where AZ may be cheap enough they do have a better hunting policy. Low taxes taxes, good hunting, and no infringing on my 2A rights is what I care about. This is the basics of my choice.
Um...you do understand that NV is being Californicated almost as fast as WA is, right? I mean, NV is slightly behind WA, I think, but only slightly. And, like WA, the 2A climate in NV is still pretty good at the moment, but its days are numbered as the state continues to turn blue. AZ would be a far better choice...at least for 2A rights.

Um...you do understand that NV is being Californicated almost as fast as WA is, right? I mean, NV is slightly behind WA, I think, but only slightly. And, like WA, the 2A climate in NV is still pretty good at the moment, but its days are numbered as the state continues to turn blue. AZ would be a far better choice...at least for 2A rights.
Yes, I have been keeping an eye on related information. Thanks for the reminder. AZ may win if my financial calculations show a greater incentive to live there and pay income taxes.

California California California, who hurt you?

We moved out of Or. In 2009, then came back in a temp capacity, and are all packed up and ready to head back home! We did well moving where we did, land was still affordable at the time, and we bought up all the adjacent land available in our little valley, effectively locking out any further neighbors and access! The area is super conservative, and has managed to discourage ( some times forcefully) change, preferring things as they are, and ready to fight to keep it that way! Our kind of people,mostly ranchers, and retired Military, and everyone knows everyone, and are friendly once they know you! Cost of living is pretty good, something's are better some things worse, and something's not an issue so it works for us! Bonus is the high altitude keeps the flat Landers out, they don't do well at best, and may need medical interventions at worst, bonus says me!

I know people who left for Georgia, Florida, Texas, Idaho, and Montana. Everyone I know who has left Oregon is happy with their decision.
And on the 'flip side' I have known people who have left and were dissatisfied with their move and came back.

OK, I am not happy with the way things are going in Oregon but where am I going to have the outdoor opportunities I have come to know and love with the VAST amounts of public land in Oregon?

My whole life of recreation has been based around the National Forests. Fishing, hunting, hiking etc and just getting out in it has been a BIG way of 'life' for me - and still is. I can be in the NF in 5 minutes from where I live and spend the whole day out in it an often never see another person.

Texas? I have been there and its a vast wasteland of mostly privately owned land with only 4% public land. I have heard of people paying exorbitant fees to go 'recreate' on private land. NO thanks. Plus it's just an overall 'ugly ' state.

Arizona? I had a friend move there a few years ago and he couldn't move back fast enough.. He told me going out in the 'public areas' around where he lived was unbearable with the crowds, trash in the shooting areas and the lack of vegetation. He told me many times he often thought of us shooting in our 'nice areas' we did in Oregon and was glad to be back.

Georgia & Florida? Sounds hot, humid, lots of bugs and the potential for hurricanes is more than I could handle.

Sorry but all things considered I'll be staying in Oregon and work with the crappy laws for the advantage of being able to get away from it all in my leisure time.
Like it or not Oregon has some advantages

Up by Pendleton/Blue Mountains/et. al. is nice.

Bend/Sisters is nice. I imagine if you stay just close to the east side of the Cascades, in the foothills, it can be nice - especially if you are along one of the nice rivers like the Deschutes or Metolius. I wouldn't mind being down by the Rogue River area either. But the east side can get pretty cold and I am not so tolerant of the cold anymore.

Last Edited:
Probably just me and my old man fears but things are not right and don't look like they will get better for some time. I feel stronger against adversity on my home ground and better able to handle rough change. I really do wish to move to a better life but I believe the changes are comming everywhere.

Life may get really interesting very soon.

Bend/Sisters is nice.
Nice? Bend and Sisters are only vestiges of the beautiful places they once were.

South Deschutes county is the last remaining 'holdout' of what the 'glory' of Central Oregon used to be - and sadly it is changing fast.
specially if you are along one of the nice rivers like the Deschutes
Well this is the Deschutes near me - not the best pic as it was 32 below and frozen ! ( a rare occurrence)

ice.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads