JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No doubt Oregon built up its voting base by creating government jobs. We have 4.6 million people and 13 prisons and 45 colleges and universities. Add in the ever increasing number of government employees and those who get government checks so its obvious even if we had a real vote nothing will change.

Young folks are smart to move out, the only future for them is a government job in my opinion.
It isn't just direct gov jobs, it is the gov contracts - e.g, awarding a contract to a particular manufacturer, having a particular military base in a particular state, sports stadiums, and on and on. Then there are all the subsidies and tax breaks.

I'm moving to Wyoming next month....

Been nice disconnecting from local politics.

The noise stopped, I did say when people stopped shooting in the hills I would go. But I didn't think it'd be because of an ammo shortage.

I'm moving to Wyoming next month....

Been nice disconnecting from local politics.

The noise stopped, I did say when people stopped shooting in the hills I would go. But I didn't think it'd be because of an ammo shortage.
Best wishes to you.

Cate

Used to work downtown (Pearl District) and quit after having experienced too much nonsense. It was a real shame as it was a very well paying job and I enjoyed the work. Lady Cosmoline and I have been talking about moving but can't find a safe spot to land and not spin our wheels. It's a shame, but the way things are currently. I'm burned on the politics and policies, myself, out here. Not to mention with life as a renter (for now, but it isn't looking feasible to buy) and the ability to increase rent up to 10% per year, we're slowly losing our ability to save, coupled with the inflation it's becoming unlivable so a move almost feels necessary. I fear it would only be a change in scenery however, as we're behind the curve of people moving to escape this madness, and aren't coming from the funds the first wave had.

Given our specific situation, and what we've found when we look online, it feels like cost of living and rent are similar everywhere we'd be interested in. Without a promise of similar income it gives me pause at the very least. As for staying in Oregon however, I'm uncertain and have lost some of my taste for this place. I don't think we're going to vote ourselves away from this issue, especially once you consider mail-in voting and politics here. I've been all over the country, but Oregon was easily one of the most beautiful places I've stayed for a while. Needs more thunderstorms though.

I will posit, however, that we should find people who are likeminded and craft good connections with them while they're here. I speak for myself when I say I often feel like an alien due to my own personal values and how out of scope they are for most people I interact with. I have one good friend here who is of similar ilk (that I know in person) and it really helps to sometimes get out and see people who are on your side of the opinion. I know I'd be more hesitant to leave if I had more people like that in my day to day life.

With all of the stupidity going on in this state, how many of you have moved out or are contemplating moving to another state?

Every day I seem to become "less satisfied" with our governor and elected officials. I seriously cannot understand who continues to elect them or why.

Increase taxes, coddle the rioters, deteriorate our 1st amendment and 2nd amendment rights, etc etc.

Where would you move to and why?
We faced your decision a year ago. We'd been growing tired of Oregon's political nonsense for years. We finally pulled the pin, and moved to Texas. We're coming up on a year down here. You could not offer me enough money to come back to the PNW.

Cost of living is lower. Property prices are more reasonable (though thanks to the COVID induced buying of everything, they're going up too, but still cheaper than the PNW by far)

There is no state income tax - though we have a sales tax, plus assorted fees (like you must register every trailer, regardless of GVW, you pay a transfer tax when registering a vehicle from out of state, you have to register all boats over 14' regardless if they're power boats or not, etc)

Greg Abbott has done some stupid crap regarding COVID, but he just signed a slew of pro 2A bills into law, not the least of which is permitless carry starting September 1. Its not a perfect law - we're keeping the licensing scheme, and those carrying without a license can carry in fewer places legally - but its a big start, and there's already a movement to fix the issues with that bill when the next legislative session comes into being.

The weather is amazing. Yes, we're in the hot period of the year. Humidity sucks. But we had 70+ degree days in December and January. I've gone bass fishing at least once a week, often near daily here, since moving here and its been great. Yeah, there are hurricanes. We're far enough inland (NW of Houston) that we're not likely to get the same force the coast gets, we could get downed trees, but flooding would be the bigger concern. Do your research and pick an area not prone to flooding.

If you like Mexican food or BBQ - its Mecca.

Stay out of the major cities and you don't have nearly the concentration of lefty douchenozzles. I live in Montgomery County, which neighbors Harris County (Houston sits in Harris County) - Harris is run by lefty douchenozzles. We didn't have one single lefty on the ballot in Montgomery County for local or county elections in November. We're not exactly just country bumpkins and cow pastures here, there's over 600,000 residents in our county.

Lots of gun shops.

Lots of friendly people.

Waaaay higher speed limits on rural roads, highways, and interstates.

Texas is one of three states with the highest chance for an angler to land a 10+ lb largemouth bass, so if you like to fish, that's a good thing.

There are downsides, besides hurricanes and chippy gov't fees. There is waaaay less public land, and you can't just drive out into the woods to target shoot. In most counties you need 10 acres by statute in order to lawfully shoot on your own land. We have lots of weird bugs, lots of snakes, and 3 months of oppressive heat.

Its friggin heaven compared to Oregon or Washington.

We faced your decision a year ago. We'd been growing tired of Oregon's political nonsense for years. We finally pulled the pin, and moved to Texas. We're coming up on a year down here. You could not offer me enough money to come back to the PNW.

Cost of living is lower. Property prices are more reasonable (though thanks to the COVID induced buying of everything, they're going up too, but still cheaper than the PNW by far)

There is no state income tax - though we have a sales tax, plus assorted fees (like you must register every trailer, regardless of GVW, you pay a transfer tax when registering a vehicle from out of state, you have to register all boats over 14' regardless if they're power boats or not, etc)

Greg Abbott has done some stupid crap regarding COVID, but he just signed a slew of pro 2A bills into law, not the least of which is permitless carry starting September 1. Its not a perfect law - we're keeping the licensing scheme, and those carrying without a license can carry in fewer places legally - but its a big start, and there's already a movement to fix the issues with that bill when the next legislative session comes into being.

The weather is amazing. Yes, we're in the hot period of the year. Humidity sucks. But we had 70+ degree days in December and January. I've gone bass fishing at least once a week, often near daily here, since moving here and its been great. Yeah, there are hurricanes. We're far enough inland (NW of Houston) that we're not likely to get the same force the coast gets, we could get downed trees, but flooding would be the bigger concern. Do your research and pick an area not prone to flooding.

If you like Mexican food or BBQ - its Mecca.

Stay out of the major cities and you don't have nearly the concentration of lefty douchenozzles. I live in Montgomery County, which neighbors Harris County (Houston sits in Harris County) - Harris is run by lefty douchenozzles. We didn't have one single lefty on the ballot in Montgomery County for local or county elections in November. We're not exactly just country bumpkins and cow pastures here, there's over 600,000 residents in our county.

Lots of gun shops.

Lots of friendly people.

Waaaay higher speed limits on rural roads, highways, and interstates.

Texas is one of three states with the highest chance for an angler to land a 10+ lb largemouth bass, so if you like to fish, that's a good thing.

There are downsides, besides hurricanes and chippy gov't fees. There is waaaay less public land, and you can't just drive out into the woods to target shoot. In most counties you need 10 acres by statute in order to lawfully shoot on your own land. We have lots of weird bugs, lots of snakes, and 3 months of oppressive heat.

Its friggin heaven compared to Oregon or Washington.
Texas has been on my short list for a lot of what you've listed. There's been some minor hang ups, not the least of which being your governor flipping and flopping and my confidence is... low to say the least. The 2A movements have been a solid, but I wonder if it's just airing red meat for votes later. What is good is good, but what is bad is antithetical to our rights and country. I don't look past such things so quickly.

Moving right now feels a lot like voting. I live in the state I'd never vote for, but I'm not keen on any of the others, they just feel a bit better than this guy.

I know there is no one to blame but myself, by it feels often as if my country has left me behind and I was left holding a bag. All I know is if I want my family to succeed, it isn't going to look like what I see in Portland, nor Oregon by and large. So long as two cities run the politics here at least.

Texas has been on my short list for a lot of what you've listed. There's been some minor hang ups, not the least of which being your governor flipping and flopping and my confidence is... low to say the least. The 2A movements have been a solid, but I wonder if it's just airing red meat for votes later. What is good is good, but what is bad is antithetical to our rights and country. I don't look past such things so quickly.

Moving right now feels a lot like voting. I live in the state I'd never vote for, but I'm not keen on any of the others, they just feel a bit better than this guy.

I know there is no one to blame but myself, by it feels often as if my country has left me behind and I was left holding a bag. All I know is if I want my family to succeed, it isn't going to look like what I see in Portland, nor Oregon by and large. So long as two cities run the politics here at least.
There is a big move to primary Abbott out, mostly because of his handling of COVID. The red meat bit might be accurate, but he has figured out if his political career is to continue beyond the end of his term, he needs to work for his base and not against it.

The current front runner seems to be a fellow named Huffines - he's private sector, non government guy. Real estate turned car dealer, IIRC. Of course Chad Prather seems serious about making a primary run against Abbott too, and he's got a good deal of support. Most folks here are hoping Col. Allen West - current Texas GOP Chair and former US representative will run to either primary out Abbott or our RINO senator John Coryn (Coryn announced he's working on a 'bi partisan amnesty bill' for illegals, forgetting that his state is swamped with illegals and all the bad that comes with)

If you can stand Florida weather, DeSantis is a strong positive at this point, but who knows who will replace him, because he seems to be the most likely front runner for the GOP candidate for POTUS come 2024.

Thinking about buying property in New Zealand. Hypothetical plan: get a decent house with a few acres for the kids to move there and live/work, while I come visit there in the winter (here) - maybe (just thinking about it) - and have some land here just about anywhere (I was thinking out towards Mist/Jewell or maybe S. Dakota) that would have a shop/living quarters, where I could keep guns that NZ would not allow.

Yes, I know about the gun laws in NZ. I look at them and I read the official explanations of why guns are so dangerous, blah blah, and it turns my stomach. They currently (and for a long time) license the person, not the guns though (granted, they outright banned some guns and put such restrictions on others that are onerous), but I think I would get/keep a hunting rifle and maybe a revolver while there.

nge-sections-have-equal-populations-photo-u1-38942.jpg

the orange represents a population equivalent to that of the red portion in the middle of the map.

That's messed up.
It's a large portion of why we have the politics we do. When you have a million people crammed into a small space and hive mind type mentality it shifts what people look at. We see this very well in Portland, or even LA. They have essentially no concept of farming or zoning laws or land management changes because they live in a box on top of other boxes and work a job that keeps them in the status quo.

I think that's why we see what we do, somewhat, all other forms of skullduggery aside.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top