JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, if you're a diehard leftist, this would be your lion-defense gun:

IMG_0761.JPG

And if you're not, then this might appeal to you.

IMG_0762.JPG

Google documented cougar attacks-your going to be surprised how many there actually have been in North America.
If someone believes being big makes a difference to Mr. cougar, keep in mind that they regularly kill 8' long 700 lb. elk.
They are THE apex preditor here in most of the lower. 48.

Cats break fairly easy, that said I still carry a stainless S&W .357 and have had to use it on them. The last run in I had was on the last trip in to pack out the remaining bag of elk that was hanging in a tree next to the boned out Elk.
When I approached, surprise!
The damned cat had ducked into the chest cavity for a snack and when he came out he decided it was all his and went into that cat (I'm getting ready to pounce) profile.
That day I had the .357 on me and am glad I did, the cat not so much.
The first 158 JHP hit him center chest and that did the job although I fired a second, trust me you probably would have too. Seconds was all it lasted start to finish.
This was the second 'surprise' encounter with a cougar I've had, that other ended up meeting an -06, overkill? I don't think there's any such thing as overkill when it comes down to it.

I always train to double tap, always ;-)

I had a cougar stalking me several years ago. I know darn well that they will stalk humans. When she got close I saw her and was able to chase her off. The only reason I didn't shoot her then and there is that I knew there was a game warden in the area and I didn't have a cougar tag.

Years ago my friend and I were hunting by Brown Creek up in the Skokomish river area. We had just cutting tracks off the gravel road through dense timber & came to a small clearing. All the while the hair on both our necks was standing up as we heard two cats popping their teeth as they were circling us. We were back to back because we knew they were going to charge us. Fear of the unknown was in both of us as we're too were circling, watching the tree line and at times we could see them through an opening. All of a sudden Ken whispers"there it is", pulled up and got a bead on it just as it started to lunge and when he shot it was in mid air!!!! I saw the other one take off away from us but kept eyes & ears on the woods.
That was a scarry adventure I'll tell you and I felt like a meal that day. 35 Remington did it in & I had a 30-30.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top