JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would go with the 9mm or up....pref the larger the better but again, depends on your activities. For me more importantly is how it is carried. I think if you have a pistol but you can't get to it fairly quickly your late to the game. I know WRANGLERSTAR has his own high end, but I really like the center chest rig holsters.....I haven't really found a much cheaper option than this unless you make your own...

Amazon.com : Kenai Chest Holster for Glock 20/21/37, MAS Grey / Coyote, Right Hand : Sports & Outdoors

County Trapper here in Douglas county uses a 22 rifle to dispatch them,so any handgun including a 22 cal will do a job on them. You just have to shoot them in an appropriate spot :). A leg or ear may not do the job. That said, I hear they don't like pain and will break off an attack if hurt,so perhaps a leg shot might do the trick.

There can be an occasional Bear attack so I would want a center fire pistol of most any cal. to carry.
The last self defense Brown bear kill in Alaska was done with a 9mm. I would think that a 9mm would do the job on a smaller,thin skinned animal like a Cougar.

Self defense in the woods starts at .357Mag and goes up from there. Will smaller/lesser rounds kill them? Yep, if you get to pick your shot.
Will smaller/lesser rounds stop a charging bear or cat, where/when you can't pick your shot?
I doubt it.
.45LC
.41Mag
10MM+p
.44Mag

And unless you're in Alaska, anything above that is where overkill starts.

Self defense in the woods starts at .357Mag and goes up from there. Will smaller/lesser rounds kill them? Yep, if you get to pick your shot.
Will smaller/lesser rounds stop a charging bear or cat, where/when you can't pick your shot?
I doubt it.
.45LC
.41Mag
10MM+p
.44Mag

And unless you're in Alaska, anything above that is where overkill starts.
Mountain lions average about 100lbs around here.
Humans average about 180.
lol
I'll take a +p+ 9mm Underwood, thank you. Pretty close to the classic stopper .357 load.. but hold a bit more than six.

Mountain lions average about 100lbs around here.
Humans average about 180.
lol
I'll take a +p+ 9mm Underwood, thank you. Pretty close to the classic stopper .357 load.. but hold a bit more than six.
And for roughly half that amount of money at Underwood I can get almost twice the energy on target with a .357Mag, and not beat the crap out of my HiPower.
With .41Mag or 45LC+P the difference is even greater.

And for roughly half that amount of money at Underwood I can get almost twice the energy on target with a .357Mag, and not beat the crap out of my HiPower.
With .41Mag or 45LC+P the difference is even greater.
The Hi-Power is a military pistol and Underwoods are very competitively priced.. unbelievably so.

The Hi-Power is a military pistol and Underwoods are very competitively priced.. unbelievably so.
Yeah, it's reasonable for what it is. But the 147gr +p+ is about $31.00/box.
My NATO duplicate handloads for the HiPower price out less than half that.
But neither 9mm load delivers near the energy that a standard Underwood 158gr .357Mag load does, at $16.50+/box.

Yeah, it's reasonable for what it is. But the 147gr +p+ is about $31.00/box.
My NATO duplicate handloads for the HiPower price out less than half that.
But neither 9mm load delivers near the energy that a standard Underwood 158gr .357Mag load does, at $16.50+/box.
Yea I handload too. Always have. And for the Hi-Power. Like I said, their 115gr offering approaches the old classic .357 stopper.. the 125gr JHP. It's fairly well documented.
And you don't shoot ball at anything that breathes, in my book.

Yea I handload too. Always have. And for the Hi-Power. Like I said, their 115gr offering approaches the old classic .357 stopper.. the 125gr JHP. It's fairly well documented.
And you don't shoot ball at anything that breathes, in my book.
Then duplicate the NATO hardball with a Speer GDHP:
Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

It's more expensive to load than the 115gr over a powder like Bullseye, but it penetrates better and is easy to load.
But it's still not in 158gr .357Mag territory in terms of energy and/or penetration.

Thankfully I've never had to stop a charging bear, but I have it on good authority from someone who has, that to stop a charging brown or even black bear you need to break bones. And that means penetration is needed.
He explained that the only sure way he has seen to do it is to break either the pelvic or pectoral girdle. Those are the skeletal structures responsible for supporting the bulk of a bear's weight. Once they're broken the bear can't generate serious motive force.
When seconds count, I can't wait for my 9 to cause bleed-out.

My woods carry gun is a Tokarev in 7.62x25. That little 30 cal bullet travels at 1625 with PPU Hollow points.
It mushrooms out to 45 cal in a 6 milk jugs of water.With ball ammo it will even penetrate a Kevlar helmet.Something a 45 or 357 won't do with hardball. My woods carry ammo for it,is a custom loaded soft point jacketed bullet that is just a tad faster than the PPU HP. Not quite as much expansion,but even better penetration. I shoot often and know the gun well and how it will perform. I don't feel under gunned against any lower forty critter I might need it for. If I was hunting in Griz country then my 4570 would be close by.

Placing a bullet where it will do the most good is the real important element in any situation.A flesh wound with any cal.projectile is just that.Your nerve and steady hand is more important than a big hand cannon. JMO!

Then duplicate the NATO hardball with a Speer GDHP:
Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

It's more expensive to load than the 115gr over a powder like Bullseye, but it penetrates better and is easy to load.
But it's still not in 158gr .357Mag territory in terms of energy and/or penetration.

Thankfully I've never had to stop a charging bear, but I have it on good authority from someone who has, that to stop a charging brown or even black bear you need to break bones. And that means penetration is needed.
He explained that the only sure way he has seen to do it is to break either the pelvic or pectoral girdle. Those are the skeletal structures responsible for supporting the bulk of a bear's weight. Once they're broken the bear can't generate serious motive force.
When seconds count, I can't wait for my 9 to cause bleed-out.
Yes, I'm familiar with reloading. And speaking of Gold Dots, that's what Underwood uses.. going around 1450fps.. out of a 4" barrel. Very similar to that legendary 125gr .357 load.
And for a narrow chested and lightly boned 100lb varmint, it's just the ticket, in my opinion.
They should call it The Honey Badger.. it's just nasty! lol

I'm really surprised I haven't read some cowboy throw in the .45 ACP yet.
I had the unfortunate experience of running into a poorly hit and crippled boar black bear.
Four solid frontal hits from the over rated milk toast round did little to stop the charge and I believe that if the rifle hunter hadn't finished what he started before I came on the site, the outcome would have turned out very bad for me.
I'll never carry that round again archery hunting.
As far as a cat? It would (probably) do the job, but I'll now stick with the .357 as my side arm. Daily carry for two leggers, my 9mm does fine for me.

I'm really surprised I haven't read some cowboy throw in the .45 ACP yet.
I had the unfortunate experience of running into a poorly hit and crippled boar black bear.
Four solid frontal hits from the over rated milk toast round did little to stop the charge and I believe that if the rifle hunter hadn't finished what he started before I came on the site, the outcome would have turned out very bad for me.
I'll never carry that round again archery hunting.
As far as a cat? It would (probably) do the job, but I'll now stick with the .357 as my side arm. Daily carry for two leggers, my 9mm does fine for me.
That's about as good a summary as there is John.
Most people don't stop to think about the fact that if you don't kill it, or at least severely cripple it, all you've done is pi$$ed it off.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top