JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is a hearing protector/amplifier named Howard Light by Honeywell. $68 at Amazon. It cuts sound at least as well as standard shooters ear muffs when turned off. When turned on, it allows ambient sound in and amplifies whatever amount you want up to 4X. And it automatically cuts off sound when anything hits 82 decibels. It also has a plug in and cord for an MP3 player.
I have a pair of those and they didn't cut off very well, but the amplification convinced me that I needed hearing aids because there is so much I could not hear without them.

I got some Peltor Comtacs with a builtin radio and mic, and those are much better about cutoff. Going to cobble together some connection cables for my HTs.

I have a pair of those and they didn't cut off very well, but the amplification convinced me that I needed hearing aids because there is so much I could not hear without them.

I got some Peltor Comtacs with a builtin radio and mic, and those are much better about cutoff. Going to cobble together some connection cables for my HTs.
I have both.

The Howard Leight have a slightly slower VOX circuit in them so they take longer to shut off, but the sound quality is fine, the noise reduction is good, they fit well and are rugged. I have a few pair for guests. One of them had a particularly slow VOX circuit and the company replaced it free of charge. Their customer service was pleasant and professional.

My Peltors had great sound and VOX, very good fit, OK noise reduction and were not so rugged. The amplifier on one side has failed. To be fair I think I've had them for over ten years. They are also the only ones I've had to replace the cushions on. The cushions have to be removed to replace the batteries, which would be forgivable if they had better noise reduction, but they don't.

I also have a pair of Walkers which are best of the three in all categories, and also do not turn themselves on by accident while bumping around in my range bag. I think there is a set on sale at Midway right now.

The .460 will do the trick to keep those critters who feel like munching on your limbs at bay lol.

20150810_152231.jpg

I was given to understand that many of the towers now use cameras/etc. instead of people, if they exist at all.
You could rent a fire watch tower for a couple nights in advance, but I think its usually during the "off season"? Not sure. I do remember looking up their availabilities and note that a few were unavailable due to being used by the Forest Service fire crews?

You are more likely to die from a falling coconut, so I bring a lime to put in it.
Bringing a lime would actually be a better defense against falling coconuts than wearing a helmet. Some lore I picked up from my dad. During WWII in the Pacific, US soldiers on islands with coconut trees were getting concussions from being hit by coconuts. Somebody somewhere ordered all the men to wear their helmets at all times. The result was that when a coconut hit a man with a helmet, instead of giving him a concussion it broke his neck.

You could rent a fire watch tower for a couple nights in advance, but I think its usually during the "off season"? Not sure. I do remember looking up their availabilities and note that a few were unavailable due to being used by the Forest Service fire crews?
I would guess they maybe man some during fire seasons - but it would seem to me that a good camera setup with a microwave transmitter would work and be less expensive than paying someone to keep watch 24/7. The vid I saw of what seemed to be a tower being engulfed by flames as a fire swept thru might have been from such a cam setup.

Nothing less than .357 or equivalent with expanding bullets. You need both penetration and stopping power.

That is what I carry when I'm working or hiking in the woods. A rifle or shotgun is even better but can't be carried out of hunting season w/o risk of hassle from LEOs. A buddy shot one in the midst of it charging down on his 12yr old while hunting and he said it wasn't easy to stop.
.357 Ruger SP101 is my general 'woods gun' w my daily carry G43 w extended mag as backup. I figure if I can't stop a cat with 14 bullets out of two guns, the cat deserves a meal.

I have thought about switching to a 10mm G20 which should be good up to black bear, plus two more rounds all in...

Last Edited:
I came into this thread knowing nothing about cougars. After reading through this whole thing(mostly) I've come to one conclusion. What it takes to kill a cougar up in a tree or off in the distance is different than what it might take to kill one in attack mode. Not only because of its adrenaline but also because of yours. So, go big or go home

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top