JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You are probably more likely to be killed or injured by a falling dead tree or branch--a "widow-maker"--than a cougar.
Or by simply falling.

Falling in the woods is a major cause of deaths. And that's not necessarily simply stumbling while walking but a lot of people will occasionally do some impromptu rock climbing that starts out uneventful but becomes dangerous fast.

A lot of lost people in the woods are found dead from falls as well.

I was doing some thinking while sitting in "the library." I figured it out!

Carry a sign that says, "no mountain lions allowed"

That's how politicians successfully ended criminal violence...

Gonna be the odd man here, take a pistol grip shotgun or shockwave. Growing up out in Corbett on larch with a large population of cats, it's the minimum I would trust. Pistol might be quicker if they're on you, but the shotty will handle business a lot better.

It's simple.

Carry what you are comfortable with and shoot well regularly. No need to seek out a specific Mountain lion 'defensive' pistol.

Stay alert when you are in the woods to everything - there are far more 'threats' in the woods than mountain lions - and not all are living and breathing.

Respect and enjoy the 'grandeur' and beauty of the woods. No need to be 'paranoid' and think everything out there is determined to leave your half-eaten corpse out there.
...and that's why my "kit gun" could be a Model 34 or 63. :s0155:

Yea, the query is intentionally click baity, musing about what people would recommend for the activity could easily be construed as asking for personal advice.
It's worked perfectly since I get a kick out of people recommending they or me carry 416 Rigbys, shotguns, AR's and whatnot.
Watch yer topknot!
hmm. You were the fellow who spoke of heavy iron in the woods.

Hey boss, I found the problem with the center pivot

cougar.jpg

Lol. This must be why every military and law enforcement agency in the world doesn't use all steel handguns. Because they are girls.
Brilliant!
plenty carry 1911s but sounds like you have little experience with firearms. Goggle Browning 1911 and CZ 75. Both of these firearms are used as daily carry and are all steel firearms

It seems to me that all steel vs other materials is a matter of personal preference. What matters is can u shoot it well when u need to (unless u r planning to hit him with it ;)).

Lol. This must be why every military and law enforcement agency in the world doesn't use all steel handguns. Because they are girls.
Brilliant!
plenty carry 1911s but sounds like you have little experience with firearms. Goggle Browning 1911 and CZ 75. Both of these firearms are used as daily carry and are all steel firearms
There is much steel in his words. Oh, wait, iron, irony, that's it, IRONY.

:rolleyes:

To be fair, his humor can be obtuse, subtle, or usually just sophomoric, but it's always better than TV. :)

10mm has my vote. I harvested a nice 4 point mule deer a couple years back with my Dan Wesson Bruin. Great penetration, stopping power and very accurate past 100 yards. Multiple day backpack trips I carry a ruger LCR-X in 357 mag, also surprisingly accurate.

I've got to throw in my 2 cents worth.
More cougars are killed with 22LR than any other gun by professional hunters who work over hounds. They don't want to spoil the hide and like to hit between the ear and the eye on the side of the head, one shot one kill, look it up you'll see I am right.
They shoot "treed"cats.
All the crap about needing magnums, is forgetting shot placement.
Cougars have relatively thin skins and are not very heavy boned such as critters like bears.
Carry what you can hit with, and make placement count. I carry my 9mm loaded with HST by Federal, and feel that's all the gun I need. What I find is really valuable are a good pair of hearing aids, I just may have a chance to duck. LOL :s0001:
Gabby

Last Edited:
More cougars are killed with 22LR than any other gun by professional hunters who work over hounds. They don't want to spoil the hide and like to hit between the ear and the eye on the side of the head, one shot one kill, look it up you'll see I am right.
They shoot "treed"cats.
Cougars have relatively thin skins and are not very heavy boned such as critters like bears.
Carry what you can hit with, and make placement count. I carry my 9mm loaded with HST by Federal, and feel that's all the gun I need. What I find is really valuable are a good pair of hearing aids, I just may have a chance to duck. LOL
Gabby
A tree'd animal that is relatively stationary is apples and oranges to one in the process of an attack.

They shoot "treed"cats.
Carry what you can hit with, and make placement count. I carry my 9mm loaded with HST by Federal, and feel that's all the gun I need. What I find is really valuable are a good pair of hearing aids, I just may have a chance to duck. LOL :s0001:
Gabby
I have cougars around here, but have never actually seen one - more concerned about feral dogs and maybe coyotes (there are some large ones I have seen and they are bold around here). I have to get a holster for my Five Seven - I think it would be good to carry it in the woods - lightweight and yet more powerful than a .22RF and more capacity.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews