JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since the 500 is a shotgun, and not great anyway, at least the one I bought, and the ones everyone I knew who bought one were junk, and yes I know there will be 50 posts now about how great they all are, it might have been something else.

Of course, three astrologers, a fortune teller and a voodoo priest all pick the guns being sent to me from the factory, which might have something to do with it.

Ruger Super RedHawk Alaskan 454 Casull. Novelty wore off after first shot. The bullets were walking out of the cases from the recoil. Just nasty.
1602029200206.png

Actually the M4 when used in conjunction with the M100 breaching rounds. It's an Israel munition for breaching doors that uses a low powered 556 based round to hit the primer on the grenade which is mounted at the end of the barrel. We spent a long time trying to get them to work, after about twenty of these very hard to find and expensive rounds were uselessly sticking out of a door (they didn't detonate) I finally got one to go off by using it like a lawn dart and letting gravity bring it nose first back down to the hard pan desert floor, that one went off and it would've done a lot more than breach a door. We had to call in range control to clear the porcupined door, they used an AT-4 and it was pretty epic, as for the job the round is supposed to do, it didn't, it didn't aim well, wasn't accurate and woe to anyone on the other side of the door if it does work. Second place was also the M4 with Simunition rounds that were about as fun as a mouse fart to use, better off with paint markers or air soft than those overpriced chalk puffs. Third place goes to what is also the best gun I've ever fired, the M60 when it runs well it is a beast, when it runs badly it's a lot of hateful weight to lug around and they issued those asbestos gloves for a very good reason, I've still got a red line down my palm from trying to swap barrels using my regular leather gloves. Fourth place for me is the PPK, just a major letdown in how it balances in your hand and how it makes 380 feel like a much larger round.

I've posted this picture before. S&W 460 XVR. Another one I sold to fund another project (the Tikka). Not unpleasant to shoot, but you almost needed a wheelbarrow to carry the silly thing! I told myself I bought it to hunt elk with, but I think it was really just a toy.

lJoIpnOl.jpg

I've posted this picture before. S&W 460 XVR. Another one I sold to fund another project (the Tikka). Not unpleasant to shoot, but you almost needed a wheelbarrow to carry the silly thing! I told myself I bought it to hunt elk with, but I think it was really just a toy.

View attachment 759332
My 500 had a 5" barrel and no scope. It was still too heavy to carry comfortably.
I knew it was just a toy when I bought it.:D

Win Model 70 in .338 WinMag. Just too much recoil in a pretty light rifle. I tried to get it more accurate by bedding the action, but I think the bedding has now been destroyed because the accuracy has recently gone downhill. Or maybe I just can't handle it any more.

I've got a Dan Wesson 744 with 6" and 8" barrels. The 8"has a full underlug, so it is a pussycat to shoot. Holding all that steel up is difficult, though. ;)

I had the blued .44 mag with the full underlug and the porting. It was nice to shoot, very accurate, but you had to be diligent about cleaning it, especially with cast bullets (which they do not recommend with the porting).

Any of the three Ruger .327 Fed Mags I had. Whoof! Am I glad I got over that ailment.

I've got the SP101 with the 4" barrel. Full power loads are not fun, but if you go with a powder like Titegroup it's very pleasant to shoot, and still a viable defense load.

I had the blued .44 mag with the full underlug and the porting. It was nice to shoot, very accurate, but you had to be diligent about cleaning it, especially with cast bullets (which they do not recommend with the porting).
A friend of mine had a revolver in .41 magnum. I expected it to be a handful but it was actually very pleasant to shoot. Wish I remembered the model. .41 is probably a steal right now compared to the common calibers.

I am in a rather odd spot. I just bought a Charter Arms 1st Generation .44 Special. I didn't look at it until we got to the FFL to complete the transaction. It isn't a .44 Bulldog, but rather a "pup." It has the aluminum barrel shroud, but the barrel is 2.5 ", not 3". The hammer is factory "bobbed" with stippling across the very small thumb portion. The front sight has red paint slopped across it and there is some holster wear on the bluing (nothing to write home about.) It also came with after market rubber (hoge?) grips. All things considered, it looks to be a nice concealed carry revolver. The seller stated that he bought it from a Portland PD cop. At any rate, I'm going to sell it when my background check comes back (about 2 weeks here in Washington.) Under different circumstances I wouldn't have completed the transaction, but I said that I would buy it and I am a man of my word. I have stated in different threads that I have the small, soft hands of a vibrator salesman and this size frame fits my pudgy paws quite well. However, it's chambered for the .44 special and in the lightweight frame it will prove to have a powerful recoil. Definitely not a range gun. The cylinder lockup is both quick and tight. I'll offer it for sale in the classifieds for a couple of days before I leave for Arizona and if I don't sell it here, it'll sell there. I don't know what I was thinking.

.357 Magnum Desert Eagle, didn't work well, jammed a whole lot and it seemed much louder. A week later shot the .50 AE, felt way more comfortable and the recoil felt more of a push then a crack/snap.

I did like the weight on both firearms as well. The one after that would be a 16" barrel 45-70. It is fun to shoot but my shoulder was sore for days.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top