JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
the last SKS I had cycled GREAT.... it had the Tapco 20 round mags.....
Now that I'm learning more about the 922r stuff I'm pretty sure that one was illegal....:s0131:
I will probably get an SKS in stock form and build it my way.... it will be a little bit more $$$ in the end, but I think it will be a better rifle all together.:D
Then I'll get an AK after that:cool:

I've heard very good things about the newest Tapco 20rd SKS mags. There's even a video on youtube showing a guy emptying several in a row without a failure. The problem is that the bolt must be open to remove or insert a detachable SKS mag. That's a three handed job unless the bolt hold open is up on an empty mag. It's very hard to change a partial mag for a full one.

The tolerances on an SKS are tighter than an AK, which seems to give it the accuracy edge. In all other ways (Weight, reliability, detachable mags) I feel the AK is superior.

You can take a $300 unmodified SKS, spend $150 on a "tactical" stock, some detachable mags that jam, and a receiver-cover mounted scope that wont hold zero...and wind up with a $250 SKS for all of your time and effort.

The SKS is a good rifle in its original condition. Lots of people have wasted lots of time and money trying to make it into something it isnt. If you want detachable mags and a pistol grip, buy an AK and be done with it.

That's funny!.....;)
I have several friends with the exact same setup you refer to and they are accurate and reliable.....:s0112:
Mine was great and accurate, I'd still have it if I didn't have a 1911 addiction.:cool:
Dunno what mags you're talking about, but the Tapco mags are very popular and reliable.:p
and the scope thing.... I dunno, I had a cheepo red dot scope that worked VERY well.... But I don't think the scope mount that goes on the rear cover would be very accurate.:confused:

My experience with the SKS is that it is a good functioning firearm. It is very durable because it is way overbuilt. It is as tough as a Mack truck and it will always go bang. I would change the stock to a Butler Creek or Choate (I don't like ATI because, to me, they are heavier than neccessary). I would use the stock magazine for now and if TSHF I would figure that anthing goes! Purchase a few hi-cap mags for "emergencies".
Having said all that, I would ALSO buy an AK or two for first line defense. They already come with a lot of the modifications you are thinking of and will be legal to use (at this time) from the get-go. Nobody says you can't have both. Inasmuch as both the SKS and the AK use the same cartridge, it will be easier to feed them.
I would also like to see Ruger make Factory hi-cap mags for their Mini-30. I would like to add one of those to my "armory". Why Ruger takes this position is a mystery. I am sure that they would sell a lot more guns (and magzines) if they would do this. But, right now, I see no reason for a 5 round "assault rifle". ARE YOU LISTENING, RUGER???

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top