JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
trying to decide between buying an AK or an SKS.... but I really want detatchable mags... SO...
what is the deal with this 922(r) compliance crap? it looks like it would cost more to have the SKS than the AK??????
Is it law in Oregon? or is that a Kalifornia bleed over?

trying to decide between buying an AK or an SKS.... but I really want detatchable mags... SO...
what is the deal with this 922(r) compliance crap? it looks like it would cost more to have the SKS than the AK??????
Is it law in Oregon? or is that a Kalifornia bleed over?

IIRC 922r is a federal regulation.

If I did it I would want to use the original stock configuration with an added pistol grip.... Gotta find out where Tapco is made as far as mags... I think it's USA...

Well if you went with an aftermarket stock and handguard, it would count as 2 parts. (and the magazine counts as 2)

here is a good source for SKS info;

http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html#_Toc167103936

Basically only 10 of these 14 parts can be imported;

Here are the relevant parts in an SKS Carbine:

1. Receiver

2. Barrel

3. Bolt

4. Bolt carrier

5. Gas piston

6. Trigger housing

7. Trigger

8. Hammer

9. Sear

10. Disconnector (see below)

11. Stock

12. Handguard

13. Magazine body

14. Follower

well the tapco stock looks cool too!.... and thier site says it's 3 parts because of the pistol grip too... maybe it's do-able if I go that way. I just don't want to become a criminal because I have a cool "scary" looking gun.... one that will be legaly registered to me....

Too much math for tonight, it looks like a toss up between the WASR-10 and a legalized SKS.... as far as price goes:confused:

well the tapco stock looks cool too!.... and thier site says it's 3 parts because of the pistol grip too...

Don't make the mistake of counting US parts. It is the number of foreign parts that matter. Yes, the pistol grip is US made, but the original configuration did not have a foreign made pistol grip. By adding the pistol grip, you have done nothing to limit the total number foreign parts.

if your getting a US made mag it is actually 3 US parts (body, follower, and floor plate)

if you get a US made after market pistol grip yes its 2 US parts grip and stock but you are only subtracting 1 US parts as but you are not adding any import parts so you would need to use US made mags US made stock and then replace Operating rod and Gas piston all available at tapco and do not use a import muzzle devise

Do you have to worry about being 922 compliant with an imported complete rifle or are you talking about putting together a bag of parts or kit? If the gun was imported complete there should not be a problem. Anybody...correct me if I am wrong.....

One thing you can do is remove the bayonet (Has anybody heard of drive-by bayonetings?) and saw off the mount. I did this with mine beacuse I don't think I need it. I don't have a pistol grip (that makes it so "evil!") and I believe I can now use hi-cap detachable magazines in it legally.

Do you have to worry about being 922 compliant with an imported complete rifle or are you talking about putting together a bag of parts or kit? If the gun was imported complete there should not be a problem. Anybody...correct me if I am wrong.....

your wrong if you want to add a pistol grip as what the OP had said he wanted to do, once you add a pistol grip and or a folding or collasable stock or flash hider or bayonet lug to any import semi auto weapon that has the capability of using a detachable mag , you have to reduce enough import parts to make it legal unless they were already installed prior to 1989 (you can thank GBS for that.

From what I read the USA mag only counts as 2 pieces, not 3 because the original mag didn't have a floorplate.... this is not the case in an AK because the mag does have a floorplate.
Although I'll do it legaly IF I get an SKS..... I think this law is just a bunch of BS......

Just a little advice, buy an AK! There are WASRS 10's for $389 on sale new right now. You will end up dropping a bunch of cash into an SKS that will be worth less than what it's worth box stock and you will still want and AK afterwords.

My advice:

Take the list Physics guy posted:
Here are the relevant parts in an SKS Carbine:

1. Receiver

2. Barrel

3. Bolt

4. Bolt carrier

5. Gas piston

6. Trigger housing

7. Trigger

8. Hammer

9. Sear

10. Disconnector (see below)

11. Stock

12. Handguard

13. Magazine body

14. Follower

And start crossing things out as you replace them with American parts until you get the total number of foreign parts at 10 or less.

I probably will buy an AK.... but the law is the same there IF you change parts.
Like let's say somehow you end up with a USA gas piston or Magazine..... then you're screwed and have to change a whole bunch of other stuff.

I'd just go with the AK. It works with the detachable mags and doesn't have to be modified. If you want a more accurate gun go with an AR. They have detachable mags and are more accurate than either and AK or SKS.

Are there detachable mags for the SKS that work worth a damn now? I had one 6 years ago and couldn't find one that would do a entire mag without hanging up.

I found the overall design of the SKS to be better than an AK. The AK was made to be as cheap and easy to manufacture as possible. It shows. I just don't like stamped parts on a gun. There was a episode of "Time Warp" where they showed a AK as it cycled rounds. You could see the entire receiver flexing and wobbling.

I will say this about the AK, it ALWAYS went bang. ALWAYS.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top