JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
the last SKS I had cycled GREAT.... it had the Tapco 20 round mags.....
Now that I'm learning more about the 922r stuff I'm pretty sure that one was illegal....:s0131:
I will probably get an SKS in stock form and build it my way.... it will be a little bit more $$$ in the end, but I think it will be a better rifle all together.:D
Then I'll get an AK after that:cool:

I've heard very good things about the newest Tapco 20rd SKS mags. There's even a video on youtube showing a guy emptying several in a row without a failure. The problem is that the bolt must be open to remove or insert a detachable SKS mag. That's a three handed job unless the bolt hold open is up on an empty mag. It's very hard to change a partial mag for a full one.

The tolerances on an SKS are tighter than an AK, which seems to give it the accuracy edge. In all other ways (Weight, reliability, detachable mags) I feel the AK is superior.

You can take a $300 unmodified SKS, spend $150 on a "tactical" stock, some detachable mags that jam, and a receiver-cover mounted scope that wont hold zero...and wind up with a $250 SKS for all of your time and effort.

The SKS is a good rifle in its original condition. Lots of people have wasted lots of time and money trying to make it into something it isnt. If you want detachable mags and a pistol grip, buy an AK and be done with it.

That's funny!.....;)
I have several friends with the exact same setup you refer to and they are accurate and reliable.....:s0112:
Mine was great and accurate, I'd still have it if I didn't have a 1911 addiction.:cool:
Dunno what mags you're talking about, but the Tapco mags are very popular and reliable.:p
and the scope thing.... I dunno, I had a cheepo red dot scope that worked VERY well.... But I don't think the scope mount that goes on the rear cover would be very accurate.:confused:

My experience with the SKS is that it is a good functioning firearm. It is very durable because it is way overbuilt. It is as tough as a Mack truck and it will always go bang. I would change the stock to a Butler Creek or Choate (I don't like ATI because, to me, they are heavier than neccessary). I would use the stock magazine for now and if TSHF I would figure that anthing goes! Purchase a few hi-cap mags for "emergencies".
Having said all that, I would ALSO buy an AK or two for first line defense. They already come with a lot of the modifications you are thinking of and will be legal to use (at this time) from the get-go. Nobody says you can't have both. Inasmuch as both the SKS and the AK use the same cartridge, it will be easier to feed them.
I would also like to see Ruger make Factory hi-cap mags for their Mini-30. I would like to add one of those to my "armory". Why Ruger takes this position is a mystery. I am sure that they would sell a lot more guns (and magzines) if they would do this. But, right now, I see no reason for a 5 round "assault rifle". ARE YOU LISTENING, RUGER???

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top