JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I generally, I was in the Navy(or any other branch) will start or end the conversation. If talking to someone that didn't serve the conversation might be short like "my uncle was in the Navy during the Korean War and thank you for your service." To which I politely reply you're welcome. When conversing with another Vet the conversation can continue as we look for commonalities and differences.

I generally, I was in the Navy(or any other branch) will start or end the conversation. If talking to someone that didn't serve the conversation might be short like "my uncle was in the Navy during the Korean War and thank you for your service." To which I politely reply you're welcome. When conversing with another Vet the conversation can continue as we look for commonalities and differences.
You would find that your experience would be quite different with me.
I deeply regret not serving when I had the chance (ca 1983) and becoming part of a brethren to which I can never belong.

You would find that your experience would be quite different with me.
I deeply regret not serving when I had the chance (ca 1983) and becoming part of a brethren to which I can never belong.
I mean no disrespect about the conversations, it's more about shared experiences. The Op was asking about how much information to share and I was trying to say that basic information is best shared with those that the fine details would be lost on. My Nephew is in the Navy stationed in New Jersey might be enough information in a casual conversation. If someone was in the navy or new jersey they might have more questions like what ship, what rating, what port, ect.

I mean no disrespect about the conversations, it's more about shared experiences. The Op was asking about how much information to share and I was trying to say that basic information is best shared with those that the fine details would be lost on. My Nephew is in the Navy stationed in New Jersey might be enough information in a casual conversation. If someone was in the navy or new jersey they might have more questions like what ship, what rating, what port, ect.
Yes, I do get that. I was just saying that personally, I would be interested and would listen attentively to someone who has served so that I might hear their story. Since I did not serve, I have no story to tell, other than the few years I spent in Kandahar. But I was not a door-kicker nor trigger-puller there. Civvies didn't get guns, even though we got rocket-attacked frequently, insider-attacked regularly, and shot at less frequently, but that was personal...

Exactly. If I told people I became a shellback on westpac in A-gang on a CG, only a Navy guy would know what I was talking about.

Exactly. If I told people I became a shellback on westpac in A-gang on a CG, only a Navy guy would know what I was talking about.
You crossed the equator for the first time during a Western Pacific cruise on a Ticonderoga-class guided missile cruiser.
I don't know what an A-gang is, cuz I'm not Navy. Nor any service for that matter. My apologies...

And the only thing I had to look up was the class of your cruiser. I knew that CGs are guided missile cruisers, but couldn't be sure of the class name.

You crossed the equator for the first time during a Western Pacific cruise on a Ticonderoga-class guided missile cruiser.
I don't know what an A-gang is, cuz I'm not Navy. Nor any service for that matter. My apologies...

And the only thing I had to look up was the class of your cruiser. I knew that CGs are guided missile cruisers, but couldn't be sure of the class name.
Actually, it was a Leahy class cruiser, and A-gang stands for Auxiliary division, which takes care of most all of the engineering equipment that isn't actually in the main spaces (engine rooms).

Over all, you get a Bravo Zulu!

RE : Post #7

"My son will be jumping out of perfectly good airplanes".

Nuff said.

Aloha, Mark
LOL! Well, here is the thread and pictures in which he did it for his graduation gift:

Actually, it was a Leahy class cruiser, and A-gang stands for Auxiliary division, which takes care of most all of the engineering equipment that isn't actually in the main spaces (engine rooms).
Looks like the Leahy class got a redesignation in the mid-70s from destroyer leader (DL/DLG) to guided missile cruisers (CG), so I wasn't entirely wrong. :)
Over all, you get a Bravo Zulu!
Thank you, sir! And I know what that means, too!

Last Edited:
Yes, I do get that. I was just saying that personally, I would be interested and would listen attentively to someone who has served so that I might hear their story. Since I did not serve, I have no story to tell, other than the few years I spent in Kandahar. But I was not a door-kicker nor trigger-puller there. Civvies didn't get guns, even though we got rocket-attacked frequently, insider-attacked regularly, and shot at less frequently, but that was personal...
Completely agree! Neither my father or I were able to serve, just my grandfathers before me in WW2. So, I am so proud of him for wanting to serve, and scared at the same time. I will never be able to understand or appreciate his or any other veterans stories of service, but I do love hearing them when shared. It takes some level of trust for a veteran to share stories, especially the deep/hard ones, so I feel honored to listen when shared. Thank You is all I can say. I LOVE this thread for that reason:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top