JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anybody see either of these? Really weird jet sounds I've never heard before about 10 min ago. I'm familiar with military cargo sounds, B2 sound, and f15s which we have a lot. They sounding nothing like those. One the radar track turned on and off and showed virtually the exact same elevation of the bigger one. Flying right next to each other it looks like. The bigger one came up as a p-8 Poseidon. Really weird. Maybe stealth plane and p-8 was tracking it? The circular track below was the Poseidon which originated from Bremerton. The other one the track showed central WA area starting on the middle of nowhere and a dotted line. Just disappeared all of a sudden on the map.

7E1421C9-8362-445B-B9B7-CB15BD61A7CD.png BAD09C5E-FB6B-456B-A34E-0460FB2C01A0.png 5E000053-7A16-43CD-80CA-34BA73030CE0.png 675F63AC-6994-4166-9AD5-361788E4A790.png

They must be practicing or testing something. Maybe the p-8 was the target and the other one the interceptor. Really weird. Never seen a track come out of nowhere and disappear like that. I have never seen a dotted line track like that either not sure what that means. Man they sure sounded unusual. The small one the data just said no call sign us military.

I heard something earlier too. It sounded like a fighter, but not a F-15. I assumed it was probably a F-18. When I used to take my kids up to PDX and watch the F-15s we would see an occasion F-18. I didn't see anything on FlightAware, but that isn't strange.

I know there are F-18Gs and the P-8 Poseidons stationed at Whidbey Island NAS.

Only other thing in the area is these two helicopters. But formations of chinooks or blackhawks often fly this same line so they aren't unusual at all

They show as blackhawks loitering by Salem at 100' for some reason

27C67092-7E6D-4909-BF79-B0426FDF9CC5.png
Edit: landed at McNary field

Last Edited:
I live outside of the Oregon City area and I hear and see the National Guard Blackhawks out of Salem flying to the Mulino Airport on a regular basis at night. I think they are keeping their night flying currency.

I heard something earlier too. It sounded like a fighter, but not a F-15. I assumed it was probably a F-18. When I used to take my kids up to PDX and watch the F-15s we would see an occasion F-18. I didn't see anything on FlightAware, but that isn't strange.

You may be right it could have been be an f-18. Haven't heard one of those since I was a kid. With the weird track I'm kinda wondering if was a f-35 or something. I've seen f-22s flyover the house but they were so high up I don't know what those sound like. Plus those are damn scarce critters. 2 navy planes would make more sense.

I think ur right, f-18. Just watched video of some doing maneuvers and they have that sharp, higher pitch, almost a screech sound compared to the roar and power of f-15. F-18 plus p-8 maneuvering together explains it almost perfectly in terms of sound.

I have heard f-15s at night. This was not f-15s though. Good to know that they are doing training this week though, I didn't know that. The f-15s are almost unmistakable in their sound. POWER! Ha ha. Joint operations makes sense. I'll listen tomorrow night to see if the designated target p-8 (ha ha) is back.

Could be Boeing EA-18 Growlers checking out and doing ECM runs with P-8? Are they being made up there alongside with the Boeing airliners?

Edit
. Naval Air Station Whidbey Island would be the right place to come from.

What do ya know. They list EA-18G Growlers and P-8A Posedions as the equipment of tenant squadrons

Could be Boeing E/F-18 Growlers checking out and doing ECM runs with P-8? Are they being made up there alongside with the Boeing airliners?
I don't know enough about the tracks on adsbexchange and don't know why it apperead out of no where and was a dotted line. When it disappeared I assumed they turned their transponder off. Maybe it was electronic stuff. I don't know enough about it other than I haven't seen that before. Especially when the track started in the middle of nowhere.

I don't know enough about the tracks on adsbexchange and don't know why it apperead out of no where and was a dotted line. When it disappeared I assumed they turned their transponder off. Maybe it was electronic stuff. I don't know enough about it other than I haven't seen that before. Especially when the track started in the middle of nowhere.
See edit. NAS Whidbey Island is likely the sources for these tracks but it's possible they kept them off until a certain point? Your guess as good as mine, although it seems likely that's where the aircraft came from if they're not F-15s

See edit. NAS Whidbey Island is likely the sources for these tracks but it's possible they kept them off until a certain point? Your guess as good as mine, although it seems likely that's where the aircraft came from if they're not F-15s
Whidby island was origin of the Poseidon. The dotted line track for the small plane started somewhere between mt rainier and mt adams in the middle of nowhere.

Anybody see either of these? Really weird jet sounds I've never heard before about 10 min ago. I'm familiar with military cargo sounds, B2 sound, and f15s which we have a lot. They sounding nothing like those. One the radar track turned on and off and showed virtually the exact same elevation of the bigger one. Flying right next to each other it looks like. The bigger one came up as a p-8 Poseidon. Really weird. Maybe stealth plane and p-8 was tracking it? The circular track below was the Poseidon which originated from Bremerton. The other one the track showed central WA area starting on the middle of nowhere and a dotted line. Just disappeared all of a sudden on the map.

View attachment 1763379 View attachment 1763380 View attachment 1763381 View attachment 1763382
Word on the street is they're practicing for an honorary flyover starfish formation over the city of San Francisco soon.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top