JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The dad knew his child has issues, I am confused as hell why he left his newly purchased gun where his known disturbed son could take it.
This has me confused as well.

It's very possible this kid had established the 'pecking order' in the family and mom and dad gave in to him for anything just to keep the peace. Heck, maybe he said 'Dad I want you to buy me a gun' - and dad did so he wouldn't have to deal with the fallout. He might have created the illusion to his son the gun was in fact 'his' and while probably not his actual intention let him have unabated access to it. Just a guess.

Has it been reported anywhere what specifically the 'disturbing/concerning behaviour' was the two teachers reported experiencing with him on Monday and the morning of the shooting?

I read a story about this on a news site but nothing specific.
This article has some tidbits relating to that:
B8FA52A6-936C-4E03-A454-604BAD66A263.jpeg

20BD42CD-3A05-4D23-AF83-9ADAD27B01C3.jpeg

In Oregon it is illegal to prohibit a kid from attending school because of diagnosed mental illness, much less just "obvious" ones.

Staff is expected to just "handle it."

Policies around such handling are written by those who never actually have to do the handling. They often are... lacking, that's the word lol, in real world efficacy.

Oh, and it's also illegal to tell others about the diagnosis if you happen to know of it. As a result many staff get to "handle it" while being effectively blind.
The kid/gal next door graduated from EOU with a Bachelor's in Psychology. She said she would go for a master's, but instead got hired by a local outfit that cares for "Developmentally Challenged Adults". She doesn't care for them herself, she writes the guidelines for the caregivers to follow in dealing with the various situations that come up. She was 22 when hired, 25 now. Nice kid, but still.... a kid.

I remember as a kid after my father died we were way poor. Other kids made fun of clothes and no haircuts. Obviously didn't take a gun to school over it but taught my kid better manners when she went to school.
Well, I went to Catholic school and had to wear the uniform. So we got made fun of too.

For the record...
Not every person in education is a "anti gun Liberal."
Nor are all of them anti-discipline.

I own many firearms*....
I also am the Dean at my school.
Which means among other things , I am in charge of discipline.

I cannot say what goes on at other schools , but in my school :

Students are held accountable for their actions....
Students are also taught that there are consequences for their actions....
Respect , responsibility , caring and safe are our "watchwords " ....Everyday I teach students how to live up to the meaning of those words.

I say the above...because , quite frankly I get tired of all the blanket statements made about those in the education system.
Not to forget the mention the flat out lies like :
Teachers giving students vaccines / or other drugs...

Saying things like :
All teachers are anti gun or Liberal ...
Is in effect the same as saying :
All gun owners are racist and small minded .

Both simply are not true of all. within those groups.

I don't expect to change minds or points of view here...nor do I want to What if , well but...or nit pic / cherry pick examples...
I just want to say that not every educator is the commonly held stereotype....Just as not every gun owner is not the commonly held stereotype.
Andy

*Edit to add...
My thoughts on owning firearm :

Own firearms if you wish...or not...its your choice.
Just don't make that choice for me.

As for what kind of firearms should be able to be owned...?
Own what you like / want and can afford.
Hardly "anti-gun".

Last Edited:
Maybe, but that is often how career criminals and serial killers get their start.
I think that more often than not they are the ones with no discipline or consequences at home. one of my friends raised their kid that way, he has been in and out of prison his whole adult life, he is almost 50 now with no signs of change. should have been a blowjob.

In a way it is a bit saddining to consider what may have led to this boy becoming so distraught, and possibly detached from his family, life whatever that ultimately pushed him into a murderous rampage.

I was a single parent (divorced with custody of my daughter) and essentially devoted 10 years to her and watched her develop into a very productive young woman who was very popular in school, did well, had many friends and never exhibited any antisocial behavior or problematic issues.

There were many times she brought several of her friends home for sleepovers and sometimes they were around for the weekend. She had a few friends who had 'issues' at home and while I never got involved I was more than happy to have them over - but only after meeting the parents and assuring it was ok with THEM. Some of these girls were fatherless and lived with their mothers and it was obvious there were issues and conflicts but I stayed out of it. A few of the mothers really appreciated my help and hospitality as some had several children and having a place for the older girls to go was a help for them. When they were over I just stayed out of the house, worked in my shop and crashed out in my motorhome !

If you are of the oppressed sort you can get bailed out same day after a mass school shooting and it gets buried in the media.
Can you give a link or reference? I doubt that school shooters are being given bail the same day, and are being covered up by media, whatever their race, etc. If its real I'd like to know it.
While not released the same day, this kid of a higher melanin concentration was released the day after he shot up a Texas school.
So yeah, that one worked as The System was designed...

Last Edited:
I just want to say that not every educator is the commonly held stereotype....Just as not every gun owner is not the commonly held stereotype.
I was educated by priests. Not all were pedophiles, but a few were. it was interesting to learn which ones were arrested....

I think that more often than not they are the ones with no discipline or consequences at home. one of my friends raised their kid that way, he has been in and out of prison his whole adult life, he is almost 50 now with no signs of change. should have been a blowjob.
IMO, behavior is much more dependent on nature, i.e. the proclivities you are born with. Nurture affects which possibilities manifest.
Problem is, many parents abandon or neglect their kids emotionally, and the consequence is the kids learn to discover and validate themselves by and among their peers.
A psychiatrist recently commented to me how the internet andsocial media has created a perfect storm of parental abandonment and unrelenting, instantaneous peer pressure. He said the field was woefully unprepared and there were (two years ago) few studies being done and absolutely nothing in peer literature.
Then Covid. Perfect storm, indeed.

Agreed.

But tho lack of parental discipline may create more crims in total, child abuse creates one almost every time, and those are often killers. That was my point.

Discipline is not a beating. If a parent can't figure out how to modify a child's behavior, the child needs to be somewhere else, with those that can. One of my stepdaughters was uncontrollable. No amount of spankings or restrictions/grounding/timeout worked. She went to juvi at thirteen (not the best solution but she was planning to burn the house down with the whole family in it... she had to go. And I sure as chit wasn't going to wait to see if she did).

A beating is not discipline, it's child abuse. A parent that beats a child is a criminal. Let's be clear on that.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top