JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Great video, lawful shoot, excellent job by that hero officer - that teaches a lot of lessons in a short easily understood video clip. This might be one of the best video clips that so concisely teaches so many lessons. We see:
* Excellent verbal commands.
* What a completely noncompliant, and violent person can and will do.
* The nonverbal cues of a pre-assault by an attacker.
* The lies by the media about "unarmed."
* The 21 foot rule in action, and threats of knives and improvised weapons. Had she not acted swiftly he could have easily seriously harmed or killed her.
* The handgun rounds are slow to stop an attacker.
* Value in shot placement and follow up shots.
* Cool training clears a malfunction.
* Value of weapon retention and clearing malfunction, and ease with which an attacker might cause weapon malfunction. He clearly struck her handgun and/or shooting hand causing a failure.
* Value of video cameras (on home and on the officer) to totally exonerate the officer.

Last Edited:
It is my understanding Dennis Tueller wishes it was something he could take back as there are those that have prosecuted for dealing with threats beyond that distance. Bottom line it is a stupid "rule".

Is The 21 Foot Rule Really A Thing? | Gun Belts Blog

Yes. As stated, the 'rule' has been challenged somewhat in recent years. More so, in that it isn't a fixed distance; as alluded in your article, many other factors come into play.

As it relates to the above vid.. After having given multiple lawful orders for the attacker to 'drop the weapon' and 'stop advancing' the attacker ignored the commands and continued forward. Obviously, once a weapon is observed one ought to already have a bead on the attacker. The question then being: When is it appropriate to apply deadly force?

As shown, this officer waited too long to fire her weapon, as the attacker was able to close the distance and make contact with her. Had he not been stalled by the realization that he'd been shot, she potentially would not have had the time to clear the malfunction and continue fire. It's quite possible that he may have been able to inflict a lethal wound, and the result may have been up to two deceased at the scene.

Yes, the 21 ft. rule ought naught be considered an established fixed rule, more it's value is as a guideline to consider in the use of training for these types of scenarios. 1st and foremost, an attacker showing no signs of ceasing advancement, ought to be catching lead once entering that circle of reference. As it gives the defender an opportunity to also increase the distance that may be needed to evade an attacker running on adrenaline after sustaining rds. from the under-powered 9mm.

(RELAX: That last part was a joke. Or was it?;););))

A quick refresher...now I have to go toss my cookies...please people...I'm begging everyone, don't call it a rule.

Correction, it was his left arm that caused the malfunction.
Screwdriver in his left hand, knife in his right.
I did a frame by frame. from when he rounded the front bumper, it was 00:31 when he started his lunge, 00:34 when he hit her gun with his left hand, and stabbed her with his right. Not sure if she was injured.
View attachment 723459
There you go. A Stanley screwdriver, made in China junk.

Wow, that ASP breakdown illuminated some issues I hadn't noticed (he went frame by frame). The officer actually caused the malfunction, not the perp. And that allowed the perp to make contact with her. And on first viewing, it appeared the perp caused the malfunction and she fixed it. On a slow watch, she appears to cause the malfunction but the perp hitting the gun corrected it. Then she jacks out a live round when she does her malfunction drill.

It also appears, from the angle of the firearm with slide back on several shots, that the trajectory would have missed the perp. I'd be curious to what her hit ratio was, especially early on. At least two of those early shots look way low/left based on angle.

Officer still did a fantastic job, and I commend her.

This is why I rarely do a whole lot of commenting on these things. One really never knows the whole scenario unless they were there and involved. Camera angles show funny things and sometimes not always the way we want to see them.:)

You get me wrong friend! I'm not hating on the angles. Just saying they can be tricky! I posted this in another thread but, here's a great camera angle on me.:s0112:

FUNNY_REDNECK_HOT_DOG_STICKER__35298_zoom.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads