JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I mainly carry the STI build 10 mm, but I do some times carry my Glock G20 Mk1 10 mm standard, and many times I CC with .40 180 gr HST's or Remmy Golden Sabers in the same weight. .40 has the advantages I mentioned before, plus at times the Big Ten is too much power and too much muzzle flash!

I gots plenty of 45s and 9s, but 40... oh yeah! That's my favorite defense caliber. Hits hard, penetrates well, gives good capacity, easily controlled. It's the Goldilock's choice in defense pistol calibers - combines most of the stopping power of the 45 with most of the capacity of 9mm and is easily controlled.

Served from M&P40, M&P40C, Sig P320 40 Full size, Browning HP 40, or the Rolls Royce of a launch pad... the STI Edge 40

View attachment 368425

Oh... I loves me some forty caliber. It's not going away. It will be with us in spades for our lifetimes. My carry load? 180 gr HST, or 180 gr XTP when extra deep penetration may be desired.

I like that STI!

I think I am an endangered species. The 40 S&W guy. I hear all of the criticism about the cartridge, and none of it matters to me. I've carried it off and on since I was 22 and have a lot of confidence in it. Here is my take:

Yes, its a bit more "snappy" than 9mm or 45, but I think this is way overstated. I find it very controllable and I have competed with it and done pretty well. I have used the G22 and G17 in competition and find that how I feel on a particular day or a host of other factors have a greater impact on my shooting than the difference in cartridges.

Yes, service life is 2/3 of what you'd expect out of a 9mm or 45. Thats still 20 or 30k rounds. No big deal, thats still a really long time. I had a 257 Weatherby that showed a decent amount of throat erosion at 1200 shots. But, to me, the performance was worth it.

Yes, 40 usually has a round or two less in the magazine than a 9mm. But, it will have three to five more rounds than an comparable 45. If you can, in good conscience, feel like you have enough firepower in a 45, a 40 should be plenty.

Yes, 9mm now has the benefits of new wonder bullets. So does 40 at the same or greater velocity with a greater cross section and more bullet weight.

I only paid $21 for a box of 50 Federal 165 HST today. $14 a box for Remington UMC FMJ. Not much more expensive than 9mm and cheaper than 45.

Yessir, I like me some 40.

I mainly carry the STI build 10 mm, but I do some times carry my Glock G20 Mk1 10 mm standard, and many times I CC with .40 180 gr HST's or Remmy Golden Sabers in the same weight. .40 has the advantages I mentioned before, plus at times the Big Ten is too much power and too much muzzle flash!
G22=30 yrs
M&P40 Shield= New
Love them! + 2, 9mm, 2, 357, +1, colt 45, + 1, Judge, + 1, 22

I didnt see it as even. 147gr HST in 9mm penetrated 4 inches less than 180gr HST 40 S&W and was .61 expanded vs .72. Thats an increase of 20 to 30%.

Look at the winchester ranger t series. More expansion than the .40 in 9 an.45. The .45 expanded to 1". Over .250" more than the .40. Around 50% more ?

The Federal hydra shock micro 9mm preforms as well as the HST in .40. :)

Trying too fill a void that doesn't exist. That's how I see it anyways. I do think the 40 is a great man stopper but the .45 and the 9s work for me.

.40SW in Smith & Wesson M&P = a most suitable combination. I love it.

These discussions on caliber size and ballistics make me laugh...it's the old Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge argument.

Have an early M&P 40 std. with an amazing trigger & a compact bought for the wife. Turns out she didn't like the M&P-C, so I gave her my G19.
I really like barrel swap options. Pickuped up 357 Sig barrels for both (and for my Hi-Power 40) which I consider one of the best all purpose defense rounds. Uses the same mags, so for an extra $100 +/- each, have a versatile shooting platform. Then picked up 9mm barrels and mags for 'em too. With the Arredondo Extended Magazine you get 9mm +6 or 40 S&W +5, handy in SHTF or shortages scenarios.

I love the 10 mm..... But it's a woods gun for me. 9, 40, and 45 pretty much covers daily

Look at the winchester ranger t series. More expansion than the .40 in 9 an.45. The .45 expanded to 1". Over .250" more than the .40. Around 50% more ?

The Federal hydra shock micro 9mm preforms as well as the HST in .40. :)

Trying too fill a void that doesn't exist. That's how I see it anyways. I do think the 40 is a great man stopper but the .45 and the 9s work for me.

But did you compare to the 40 T-series? If you make it apples to apples with bullet style and BC, the 40 will have the better numbers. Bigger case, more powder, bigger bullets, same velocities.

I got to shoot my XD40 SC Mod 2 today and loved it, shooting at milk jugs, 30 to 50 yards, pretty accurate, I used Remington and Winchester white box, both 180 grain FMJ or TMJ, and Winchester JHP 'Duty" rounds also 180 grain, but supposedly 'Low recoil' and they might have been a tad lighter, not much.

I started in law enforcement in 71 with railroad police, carrying a SW Mdl 15. In 73 I joined a city pd and switched to SW Mdl 19. My off duty firearm was a Walther PPK 380 with Super Vel ammo. In 74 I joined State Police/Highway Patrol, still with the Mdl 19 but now had a SW Mdl 39 9mm off duty. Late 70s I sold the Mdl 39 and bought a Colt Cmdr Series 70 45 acp for off duty. Dept then issued SW 686s 357 cal. Issued a 4" for uniform and 2 1/2" for plainclothes assignment. In the early 90s we switched to SW Mdl 4006 40 cal. Bought both 686s. Because our 40s were disassembled, inspected, repaired or replaced once a year and we shot once a month, I carried it off duty most of the time. 06 retired, bought my dept issued 40 and carried it. Since retirement I go to the range about every 5-6 weeks with the 40 cal, 686 2 1/2" and 45. A few months ago I bought a Sig 2022 9mm and its my most carried firearm now. I have include it in my range visits. The HR-218/LEOSA once a year shoot is my 686 2 1/2" and one of my pistols.

'74 huh? I had contact with the CHP in '75 that was BR (Before Radar, for the CHP) and while is did not get a ticket, I did get stopped. I saw him and slowed before I could be 'clocked', but he was not going to let me off so easy. I was a Wildman , and needed to be slowed down some back then. Now of course I am perfect....... I will say I was and am always happy to see units out there, no matter the jurisdiction.

I have ordered a IWB holster for my Mod 2 40, I could use my Mod 2 45's holster, but the new one will be that 0.3 inches shorter, and I will have a holster for each gun. I have some Powder River parts that I will put on it, retest the gun, by shooting it a bunch, and then add it to my daily carry. Move the BUG up to a front pocket.

Last Edited:
I started in law enforcement in 71 with railroad police, carrying a SW Mdl 15. In 73 I joined a city pd and switched to SW Mdl 19. My off duty firearm was a Walther PPK 380 with Super Vel ammo. In 74 I joined State Police/Highway Patrol, still with the Mdl 19 but now had a SW Mdl 39 9mm off duty. Late 70s I sold the Mdl 39 and bought a Colt Cmdr Series 70 45 acp for off duty. Dept then issued SW 686s 357 cal. Issued a 4" for uniform and 2 1/2" for plainclothes assignment. In the early 90s we switched to SW Mdl 4006 40 cal. Bought both 686s. Because our 40s were disassembled, inspected, repaired or replaced once a year and we shot once a month, I carried it off duty most of the time. 06 retired, bought my dept issued 40 and carried it. Since retirement I go to the range about every 5-6 weeks with the 40 cal, 686 2 1/2" and 45. A few months ago I bought a Sig 2022 9mm and its my most carried firearm now. I have include it in my range visits. The HR-218/LEOSA once a year shoot is my 686 2 1/2" and one of my pistols.
YEP when I was a kid my friend 's dad was California highway patrol in late 70's and early 80's I remember when California started using the Mustang his dad drove one of the first ones and used to bring it home lol any way back on topic I also remember he carried a 357 revolver and I think he also had a Walther back up gun

It's funny now that I think back when we were at his house witch I was there all the time there was guns everywhere .on top of the refrigerator in the book stand next to the chair his dad sat in and in the pickup truck and at 10 to 15 year's old we all where told don't touch them and we never did mmmmmm I guess we were good kids lol

Me and .40S&W

IMG_2209.jpg

P1000891-Edit.jpg

P1000895.jpg

I love this caliber! Particularly in weapons that are well-suited to it, like the M&P40s, SIG P320 40, Browning HP 40, VP40, STI Edge 40. My Glock forties are no longer being used. I just don't like how Glocks feel when shooting this caliber.

Me and .40S&W

View attachment 369254

View attachment 369255

View attachment 369256

I love this caliber! Particularly in weapons that are well-suited to it, like the M&P40s, SIG P320 40, Browning HP 40, VP40, STI Edge 40. My Glock forties are no longer being used. I just don't like how Glocks feel when shooting this caliber.
I have a gen 4 glock 22 it took me more than a few trips to the range to get pretty good with it I'm still not great but I can get a few in the middle and all around it lol

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top