JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Now that I have a CX4 Storm, I am planning on picking up a Beretta 92 or PX4. After perusing the internet and stopping at Langdon Tactical's website, I might even get both. Never owned either one before, and I know there are countless versions out there, so looking for any Beretta nerds to weigh in - which model of either would you get, and why? Also, any models to avoid?

Note: I'm a Glock guy most of the time, so intended use is a bit up in the air. Range time for sure, bedside gun possibly, maybe some carry depending on how I like it.

I carried my 92 INOX for one day in the woods. WAY too heavy to carry! Now I know why cops like their Glocks.

The only thing I don't care for on my old Italian 92 INOX is the front site is milled into the slide so it isn't upgradable. In '89 the sites where fine. Sites have improved a ton in the last 25 years. Other that the sites the 92's are great guns for those of us who have big hands. My smaller handed friends have a tougher time hanging onto my 92.

I learned to shoot with my DA/SA 92 and it was nothing switching to striker fired. I hear people that learn to shoot with striker fired pistols have a harder time learning to shoot DA/SA. If you do get a 92 just be prepared to spend some time with it to work on your skills.

Last Edited:
1000000214.jpg
Yes..... Buy a Langdon, and don't look back. I carry the compact (when I'm not carrying my WC), but could just as easily carry the Centurion. I'm not sure if I like the 92x Performance or the LTT Elite fullsize more.

I don't know what answer's to give you, I'm just here so I can add apostrophe's before s's where they don't belong because it sound's like a fun thing to do

I don't know what answer's to give you, I'm just here so I can add apostrophe's before s's where they don't belong because it sound's like a fun thing to do
Yep, guilty as charged. I was trying to differentiate a broad reference to the various models of 92 from the specific model 92S. And putting an apostrophe on one and not the other seemed weird. So... There you have it. Intentional misuse of an apostrophe (twice!). I throw myself at the mercy of the court of grammar nazis, and expect no leniency for these sins.

Haven't owned a 92 yet - it's on the list.

But I did own a px4 in .40 short and wimpy awhile ago and found it accurate, pleasant to shoot, and easy to clean. Think I'll buy another one if I can find a good deal.

Not a Beretta nerd but having purchased an m9 due to price and capacity, I will say that the quality is amazing and if I had to sell some guns this one would be WAY WAY down the list.

I just have an Italian made 92FS and a Cx4 carbine, when they used to be made using the 92 mags vs the newer ones that use the Px4 mags, though you can buy mag conversion kits from Beretta for the Cx4. The G models that make the 92/96 series guns decock only I personally like. The DA trigger I like on my 92FS, long, but smooth. 92

In my military days, the M9 is what we trained on, so I learned to appreciate it despite its size and weight, which is up there by current standards with the "combat Tupperware" that's out there. Back in the day before the mag ban BS, I scored a few worn 92FS mags with restricted markings and metal base plates on them, replaced the spring and now they work great.

What I don't like are the more plastic parts added like on the safety, recoil guide rod etc. As far as I know, the military guns still used the metal parts where the plastic stuff was used in the civilian models.

I had a Px4 compact, but I didn't like the slide release as it dug into my back when carrying it IWB in the strong side kidney position. It does have a different recoil impulse with the rotating barrel system. Not a bad gun mechanically, just didn't suit my carry methods.

That's one of the reasons I'm considering also getting a Px4, and not just sticking with the 92.
I picked a used 9mm PX4 up at the Trading Post in Newberg maybe 10 years ago. I had watched a guy shoot one out at the quarry and he was walking a soda bottle 30-40-50-to 60 yards. Found one and just love the gun. It is off at a summer trigger day care camp getting reworked to smooth out the DA, but this is one that I just will never sell off. If you buy one you wont be disappointed.

Now that I have a CX4 Storm, I am planning on picking up a Beretta 92 or PX4. After perusing the internet and stopping at Langdon Tactical's website, I might even get both. Never owned either one before, and I know there are countless versions out there, so looking for any Beretta nerds to weigh in - which model of either would you get, and why? Also, any models to avoid?

Note: I'm a Glock guy most of the time, so intended use is a bit up in the air. Range time for sure, bedside gun possibly, maybe some carry depending on how I like it.
92 all the way, though I would avoid the tiny sights of the 92s. Magazines are much more common and there are lots of options for the 92. Get the Sierra Papa trigger upgrade for the cx4 though. It is worlds better

As far as models to pick and models to avoid. There's no right or wrong answer, but I will say it can depend on the size of your hands. The M9 is standard, front sight is part of the slide, rear sight is adjustable. The M9A1 is essentially the same thing with a rail. The M9A3 they moved to the vertec grip which is better for small hands. It does have the option for wrap around grips to give you the traditional Beretta feel, but it's not the same. It does have a dove tailed front sight so that can be replaced. It also has a rail. The M9A4 is the same as the M9A3 but red dot ready. If you want a red dot I would highly encourage going the LTT route. They do fantastic work and the dot sits significantly lower on the slide.

Anything with a G designator is typically a decocker only. The safety instead of remaining down will decock the hammer, then spring back up leaving you ready to go.

F Models will have a decocker and safety combo.

You can convert back and forth between the G and F safetys

Inox is an "inoxidizable" finish, they bead blast it and annodize it.

The compact-M is a single stack magazine and is narrower. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GET THE COMPACT-M you will never find a magazine under $100.

The compact-L is double stack.

I picked up an M9A1 because I like the palm swell, I swapped to an M9A3 slide and sent that to LTT for red dot milling because it sits lower and is a more durable dot mounting system (per the sage dynamics white page on red dot durability). I converted it to a G model decocker only, upgraded to the LTT trigger job in a bag, switched to a stainless guide rod, added a holosun 507C green dot, threw on a surefire X300, and got a Beretta threaded barrel. I've got a compensator in the mail.

To summarize, as long as you go with an M9/A1/A3/A4, all the parts play well together. Magazines are interchangeable and a dime a dozen. There is no bad Beretta model but the Tennessee models have been known to have QC issues so ensure you thoroughly inspect them.

Shameless photo of my setup.

Snapchat-1232851491.jpg

Any specific models of 92 I should consider? There are quite a few to choose from...

When I had that question, I settled on the 92A1 (the rounded trigger guard looks nice, IMO)
If you're not ready to throw down for a WC or Langdon, 92A1 is a good way to.
Upgrade later as needed.

Last Edited:
Beretta,

If you are lurking in this thread please give us a PX4 A1 that gets all the refinements the 92x series got along with being optics ready and I will convert full time to you.

Thanks!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads