JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Daily carry is a .40S&W M&P 2.0 with night sights off of an M&P Pro and cerakoting by Buster Beaver. Excellent shooter and 100.00% reliable. It's like a Glock minus all that ugly and all that 2x4.

Daily carry is a .40S&W M&P 2.0 with night sights off of an M&P Pro and cerakoting by Buster Beaver. Excellent shooter and 100.00% reliable. It's like a Glock minus all that ugly and all that 2x4.

I have a 2.0 in 9 and 45. Love the guns, but I still reach for my Glock 22 or 23 when I leave the house. I guess its hard to break old habits. I'd like to shoot the 2.0 in 40.

Don't think so. It's still very popular with police all over. I own and shoot 40 S&W, 9/10mm, 45 ACP - been a 45 guy for decades but shoot the 40 as well as or better than any other. 10mm is the round just barely hanging on.
Most of the police trade-ins are .40's
Some good deals on SIG, Glock and M&P in .40

A gunwriter/physician (Dobbs is his name, I think) said in his experience with gunshot wounds, .40 definitely caused more damage than 9mm or .380, as might be expected. Fewer rounds in the magazine but probably a quicker end to the fight! Another gunwriter recently suggested that, with .40 losing popularity, there will be a lot of .40 handguns going on the market at steep discounts. Personally, I like having at least one gun in every basic caliber in case of shortages and possibly having to use what I can pick up in the rubble. So: .40, .45, .380, 9mm and .357 Magnum are my choices. I run Ruger ARX ammo in most of them, though I keep a mag or two loaded with ammo that will penetrate better when needed.

I have as my nightstand gun a Charter Arms Pitbull in .40 S&W. Then my only 40 semiauto was a Walther PPX (Like it a lot better than my 9 MM PPX). I use the 40 PPX in a advanced course last year. It performed well above it's price point, a keeper. I have now a second auto in 40. A Springfield XD40 SC Mod 2.... in stylish FDE. I have not shot it yet, but have received the extra magazines from Springfield. Got to get out there. (I EDC a 357 Sig, G-33)

I want a full size M&P 2.0 in 40 and FDE, I feel like the M&P was designed for 40 S&W and might last a little longer.

I think I am an endangered species. The 40 S&W guy. I hear all of the criticism about the cartridge, and none of it matters to me. I've carried it off and on since I was 22 and have a lot of confidence in it. Here is my take:

Yes, its a bit more "snappy" than 9mm or 45, but I think this is way overstated. I find it very controllable and I have competed with it and done pretty well. I have used the G22 and G17 in competition and find that how I feel on a particular day or a host of other factors have a greater impact on my shooting than the difference in cartridges.

Yes, service life is 2/3 of what you'd expect out of a 9mm or 45. Thats still 20 or 30k rounds. No big deal, thats still a really long time. I had a 257 Weatherby that showed a decent amount of throat erosion at 1200 shots. But, to me, the performance was worth it.

Yes, 40 usually has a round or two less in the magazine than a 9mm. But, it will have three to five more rounds than an comparable 45. If you can, in good conscience, feel like you have enough firepower in a 45, a 40 should be plenty.

Yes, 9mm now has the benefits of new wonder bullets. So does 40 at the same or greater velocity with a greater cross section and more bullet weight.

I only paid $21 for a box of 50 Federal 165 HST today. $14 a box for Remington UMC FMJ. Not much more expensive than 9mm and cheaper than 45.

Yessir, I like me some 40.

I too like the 40 for the same reasons. Ammo is a decent price too. I reload so I can load hollow points for less than the cost of FMJ off the shelf

I think I am an endangered species. The 40 S&W guy. I hear all of the criticism about the cartridge, and none of it matters to me. I've carried it off and on since I was 22 and have a lot of confidence in it. Here is my take:

Yes, its a bit more "snappy" than 9mm or 45, but I think this is way overstated. I find it very controllable and I have competed with it and done pretty well. I have used the G22 and G17 in competition and find that how I feel on a particular day or a host of other factors have a greater impact on my shooting than the difference in cartridges.

Yes, service life is 2/3 of what you'd expect out of a 9mm or 45. Thats still 20 or 30k rounds. No big deal, thats still a really long time. I had a 257 Weatherby that showed a decent amount of throat erosion at 1200 shots. But, to me, the performance was worth it.

Yes, 40 usually has a round or two less in the magazine than a 9mm. But, it will have three to five more rounds than an comparable 45. If you can, in good conscience, feel like you have enough firepower in a 45, a 40 should be plenty.

Yes, 9mm now has the benefits of new wonder bullets. So does 40 at the same or greater velocity with a greater cross section and more bullet weight.

I only paid $21 for a box of 50 Federal 165 HST today. $14 a box for Remington UMC FMJ. Not much more expensive than 9mm and cheaper than 45.

Double Tap Ammunition Ballistics
Round Type Weight Muzzle Energy ft·lb Muzzle Velocity ft/sec.
9mm +P TAC-XP 80 433 1560
9mm +P TAC-XP 115 445 1275
9mm +P Bonded Defense™ JHP 124 473 1310
9mm +P JHP 124 473 1310
9mm +P FMJ FP 147 421 1135
9mm +P JHP 115 511 1415
9mm +P JHP 147 410 1125

Plenty of 9mm ammo over 463 fpe..:rolleyes: Just one example.

I have as my nightstand gun a Charter Arms Pitbull in .40 S&W. Then my only 40 semiauto was a Walther PPX (Like it a lot better than my 9 MM PPX). I use the 40 PPX in a advanced course last year. It performed well above it's price point, a keeper. I have now a second auto in 40. A Springfield XD40 SC Mod 2.... in stylish FDE. I have not shot it yet, but have received the extra magazines from Springfield. Got to get out there. (I EDC a 357 Sig, G-33)

I want a full size M&P 2.0 in 40 and FDE, I feel like the M&P was designed for 40 S&W and might last a little longer.

I can't answer for the M&P 2.0, but my full size Gen 1 M&P 40 is my nightstand gun. It's one of the smoothest .40SW shooters I own or have shot. I'd like the try the Gen 2 some time.

Double Tap Ammunition Ballistics
Round Type Weight Muzzle Energy ft·lb Muzzle Velocity ft/sec.
9mm +P TAC-XP 80 433 1560
9mm +P TAC-XP 115 445 1275
9mm +P Bonded Defense™ JHP 124 473 1310
9mm +P JHP 124 473 1310
9mm +P FMJ FP 147 421 1135
9mm +P JHP 115 511 1415
9mm +P JHP 147 410 1125

Plenty of 9mm ammo over 463 fpe..:rolleyes: Just one example.

Here are some standard 40 S&W loads. Isn't even trying hard.

Description
The 180gr Nosler JHP @
1140fps 520 ft/lbs from a 4.5"bbl.
Caliber : .40 S&W
Bullet : 180gr Nosler JHP

Description
A great carry load for personal protection in 40S&W.
1317fps 580 ft/lbs from a 4.5"bbl.
Caliber : .40 S&W
Bullet : 150gr. Sierra JHP

One area that .40S&W has a distinct advantage over the 9x19mm is in ball ammo effectiveness. All .40S&W FMJ bullets have a wide flat meplat, such designs are rare with 9mm ammunition. Wide flat point ammo provides straight penetration and maximizes the wound channel of non-expanding bullets. The narrow round nose profile of most 9x19mm FMJ ammunition, in contrast, minimizes the wound channel profile and very often veers away from straight penetration.

Bottom line, when FMJ ammunition must be pressed into defensive use by law or necessity, the .40S&W becomes a clearly superior choice.

A gunwriter/physician (Dobbs is his name, I think) said in his experience with gunshot wounds, .40 definitely caused more damage than 9mm or .380, as might be expected.
Depends on when this guy did his study.
Federal HST ammo, for instance takes 9mm (non +P), .40 and .45 and pretty much makes it even.
This is the new "wonder ammo" that is tipping the scales.
I believe that is HST in the first pic you see under the link.
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

Depends on when this guy did his study.
Federal HST ammo, for instance takes 9mm (non +P), .40 and .45 and pretty much makes it even.
This is the new "wonder ammo" that is tipping the scales.
I believe that is HST in the first pic you see under the link.
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

I didnt see it as even. 147gr HST in 9mm penetrated 4 inches less than 180gr HST 40 S&W and was .61 expanded vs .72. Thats an increase of 20 to 30%.

I gots plenty of 45s and 9s, but 40... oh yeah! That's my favorite defense caliber. Hits hard, penetrates well, gives good capacity, easily controlled. It's the Goldilock's choice in defense pistol calibers - combines most of the stopping power of the 45 with most of the capacity of 9mm and is easily controlled.

Served from M&P40, M&P40C, Sig P320 40 Full size, Browning HP 40, or the Rolls Royce of a launch pad... the STI Edge 40

P1010136-Edit.jpg

Oh... I loves me some forty caliber. It's not going away. It will be with us in spades for our lifetimes. My carry load? 180 gr HST, or 180 gr XTP when extra deep penetration may be desired.

The .40 is an optimal caliber. Going back to the Civil War studies have proven and confirmed the most effective rounds are .40 or greater and 180 grains or greater. It's all what you can s

.40 is a proven round

The .40 is an optimal caliber. Going back to the Civil War studies have proven and confirmed the most effective rounds are .40 or greater and 180 grains or greater. It's all what you can s

.40 is a proven round
I earned a Distinguishrf Graduate Award from Front Sight Training Academy with a Sig P 229.The study conducted during the civil war still stands today(confirmed by recent stidies as well) The best results come from rounds .40 or greater and 180 grains and up. I carry nine and am quite confident that shot placement is the largest factor. .40 is best in guns with 4 inch barrels and longer. It's a real handful for compact firearms. The .40 is more than many can shoot confidently, but if you can, you are better off in my opinion. I shoot different calibers and the best weapon will always be the one you have on you if you ever in the position to need it. Don't get caught up in caliber wars. Train with your weapon for proficiency and confidence.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top