JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a G22 Gen 4 as well. It's a little nicer to shoot than my G23 G3 and G23 G4, which I don't enjoy shooting at all.

Once I started shooting forty in different platforms, my use of the Glock forties faded fast.

I think people who dislike shooting forty (saying it's too 'snappy' for them) most likely have only experienced shooting forty with a Glock.

On the other hand, the M&P40 and SIG P320 40 experience is magnificent and so enjoyable. And the STI Edge 40 experience is sublime. The HK VP40 and Walther PPQ 40 are also enjoyable to shoot.

I have a G22 Gen 4 as well. It's a little nicer to shoot than my G23 G3 and G23 G4, which I don't enjoy shooting at all.

Once I started shooting forty in different platforms, my use of the Glock forties faded fast.

I think people who dislike shooting forty (saying it's too 'snappy' for them) most likely have only experienced shooting forty with a Glock.

On the other hand, the M&P40 and SIG P320 40 experience is magnificent and so enjoyable. And the STI Edge 40 experience is sublime. The HK VP40 and Walther PPQ 40 are also enjoyable to shoot.
I'M kinda looking around at some 1911 in .40 cal just because I want to get a 1911 and I'm up to my A$$ in .40 ammo lol

I'M kinda looking around at some 1911 in .40 cal just because I want to get a 1911 and I'm up to my A$$ in .40 ammo lol

If you can swing it.... STI is your answer! And if you want high capacity, the STI Edge in 40 is amazing!!!

I removed the mag well on mine, better for carry this way:
Edge_1284.jpg

P1010531.jpg

It's heavy, large, and in-charge. Wouldn't be most people's idea of a perfect carry gun, but for home/RV defense, at the range etc. It feels like shooting a pistol made by Rolls Royce.

If you can swing it.... STI is your answer! And if you want high capacity, the STI Edge in 40 is amazing!!!

I removed the mag well on mine, better for carry this way:
View attachment 369273

View attachment 369274

It's heavy, large, and in-charge. Wouldn't be most people's idea of a perfect carry gun, but for home/RV defense, at the range etc. It feels like shooting a pistol made by Rolls Royce.
That's a nice gun I'll look into those

I found that I had a lot of 40 cal ammo so I went shopping for something tome it through. Ended up with a Baby Desert Eagle in 40 cal. Shoots straight and is heavy enuf to control the kick.

This thread has me wondering where Obammy sent all the .40 ammo to that was bought in Millions of rounds? When the Civil Restoration Starts, I'll get to shoot a lot of Free .40 with a free to me pistol or MP5/.40 etc. Military grade hardware will be plentiful then if you can Take it.

This thread has me wondering where Obammy sent all the .40 ammo to that was bought in Millions of rounds? When the Civil Restoration Starts, I'll get to shoot a lot of Free .40 with a free to me pistol or MP5/.40 etc. Military grade hardware will be plentiful then if you can Take it.
My son is shooting it all, I think he has to qualify in the day, once a quarter and night semiannually, but they can practice more voluntarily (ICE) They can have a nine or forty. He also has to qualify with his 38 snubby backup, twice a year.

Let's get down to the facts. Most folks carry 3 inch guns for concealment. At least, I do and know many who do. In a 3 inch gun, the 9 mm is running about 250 ft lbs of pressure, the 45 about 300 lbs and under, but the 40 is still kicking 400 lbs with a standard 180 grain jhp and the velocity drop from 4 inch to 3 inch is minimal in 40. A nine would need +p+ to come close in 3 inch weapon. The nines and 45s from 3 inch weapons just might expand. The 40 in 3 inch expands and penetrates consistently. If you can't handle a 40, don't shoot it, but if you can consistently hit you target with a forty, rest assured that the round will do exactly what it was intended to do. For 3 inch guns, the 40 and 357 rock. I have nines in 3 inch, but feel a whole lot more comfortable with 6 rounds of 180 jpg in my MK 40 elite than I do 8 to 9 rounds of nine. Nine is not a bad round, it just doe not hold a candle to .40 in 3 inch barrels with standard ammo. If I have to buy super duper ammo in nine to get close to a standard 40 in a three inch gun, what's the point?

Between 9mm and .45acp, the .40S&W is closer to the 9mm in size. But like others have said .40S&W penetration and power in soft targets beats the other two calibers. Out of those three calibers all in FMJ form, the FMJ forty is the best. FMJ 9mm is indisputably pitiful. If all you had access to or was limited to reloading lead bullets, the forty wins. There are drawbacks to the forty, unfortunately. The nine and forty five work better in more platforms than the forty does.

Last Edited:
Sig P229 40SW LE issue. No recoil to speak of has as much kick as a 22LR.
I have shot Glocks in 40sw and hands down there is zero comparison as a Sig full sized in 40 sw just does it the was its supposed to could shoot all day and never get tired.

Let's get down to the facts. Most folks carry 3 inch guns for concealment. At least, I do and know many who do. In a 3 inch gun, the 9 mm is running about 250 ft lbs of pressure, the 45 about 300 lbs and under, but the 40 is still kicking 400 lbs with a standard 180 grain jhp and the velocity drop from 4 inch to 3 inch is minimal in 40. A nine would need +p+ to come close in 3 inch weapon. The nines and 45s from 3 inch weapons just might expand. The 40 in 3 inch expands and penetrates consistently. If you can't handle a 40, don't shoot it, but if you can consistently hit you target with a forty, rest assured that the round will do exactly what it was intended to do. For 3 inch guns, the 40 and 357 rock. I have nines in 3 inch, but feel a whole lot more comfortable with 6 rounds of 180 jpg in my MK 40 elite than I do 8 to 9 rounds of nine. Nine is not a bad round, it just doe not hold a candle to .40 in 3 inch barrels with standard ammo. If I have to buy super duper ammo in nine to get close to a standard 40 in a three inch gun, what's the point?
Do 3" .45's even work?
And a 4" 9mm throws a 115gr Gold Dot (Underwood) 1550.. 500+fpe. I carry 5" 9mm's.

Do 3" .45's even work?
And a 4" 9mm throws a 115gr Gold Dot (Underwood) 1550.. 500+fpe. I carry 5" 9mm's.

Again, if I have to buy super duper ammo, unlikely to be on store shelves or to be found during shtf situations, for a 3 inch nine, what's the point. The 40 will give awesome numbers in any flavor. If I put 115 grain in a .40, it would be 45/1000 bigger to begin with and would be hauling bubblegum with the 9 on steroids. .40 was made for 3 and 4 inch weapons. You could say that this is the "Nitch" of .40 over 9 or .45. You don't need to go searching for the specialty ammo to get the desired results. Another fact, standard factory ammo in forty is a great deal cheaper than any of the super duper ammo as you mentioned. 9 mm with heavy 147 grain bullets in a three inch barrel are petty in any comparison to 180 grain standard ammo in the 40 hands down. 40 has nearly twice the punch over 9mm in 3 inch guns running standard ammo. Standing alone with no backup, I prefer .40 in any configuration, at least till I can get to a long gun .

I have three 3.3" and one 3.5" 45's they all work well, but I do carry a 3" XD40 and I now have a 3.3" 40 XDS on order

I have all three in three inch guns. The forty is superior to the other two in three inch and I favor it for a defense round. I have xds in 9 and 45, both great weapons. I sometimes carry a p380 if my attire demands it. Shot placement is the most critical factor, but I will stick with 40 in short barrel defense for 3 inch and up with confidence.

I have been running a pair of 3.5 in. .45 1911 for several years now! They run fine if the factory set them up correctly, or they can be real junk if not, and require a bunch of work to get them to run correctly. I admit, you loose a pretty big chunk of performance from them if running "Standard" loads, but for loads designed for shorty .45, they do quite well. I mainly carry one of the two as a back up, and carry a 10 mm auto as my primary:cool::cool::cool:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top