JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think I am an endangered species. The 40 S&W guy. I hear all of the criticism about the cartridge, and none of it matters to me. I've carried it off and on since I was 22 and have a lot of confidence in it. Here is my take:

Yes, its a bit more "snappy" than 9mm or 45, but I think this is way overstated. I find it very controllable and I have competed with it and done pretty well. I have used the G22 and G17 in competition and find that how I feel on a particular day or a host of other factors have a greater impact on my shooting than the difference in cartridges.

Yes, service life is 2/3 of what you'd expect out of a 9mm or 45. Thats still 20 or 30k rounds. No big deal, thats still a really long time. I had a 257 Weatherby that showed a decent amount of throat erosion at 1200 shots. But, to me, the performance was worth it.

Yes, 40 usually has a round or two less in the magazine than a 9mm. But, it will have three to five more rounds than an comparable 45. If you can, in good conscience, feel like you have enough firepower in a 45, a 40 should be plenty.

Yes, 9mm now has the benefits of new wonder bullets. So does 40 at the same or greater velocity with a greater cross section and more bullet weight.

I only paid $21 for a box of 50 Federal 165 HST today. $14 a box for Remington UMC FMJ. Not much more expensive than 9mm and cheaper than 45.

Yessir, I like me some 40.

I think I am an endangered species. The 40 S&W guy. I hear all of the criticism about the cartridge, and none of it matters to me. I've carried it off and on since I was 22 and have a lot of confidence in it. Here is my take:

Yes, its a bit more "snappy" than 9mm or 45, but I think this is way overstated. I find it very controllable and I have competed with it and done pretty well. I have used the G22 and G17 in competition and find that how I feel on a particular day or a host of other factors have a greater impact on my shooting than the difference in cartridges.

Yes, service life is 2/3 of what you'd expect out of a 9mm or 45. Thats still 20 or 30k rounds. No big deal, thats still a really long time. I had a 257 Weatherby that showed a decent amount of throat erosion at 1200 shots. But, to me, the performance was worth it.

Yes, 40 usually has a round or two less in the magazine than a 9mm. But, it will have three to five more rounds than an comparable 45. If you can, in good conscience, feel like you have enough firepower in a 45, a 40 should be plenty.

Yes, 9mm now has the benefits of new wonder bullets. So does 40 at the same or greater velocity with a greater cross section and more bullet weight.

I only paid $21 for a box of 50 Federal 165 HST today. $14 a box for Remington UMC FMJ. Not much more expensive than 9mm and cheaper than 45.

Yessir, I like me some 40.

My "take" on guns and calibers has always been if you like it who cares? The 9 has seen a big resurgence of late but I doubt the cartridge (.40) is in danger of becoming like the .357 Sig any time soon. Still seem to be a LOT of guns being offered in this caliber.

I'll be the a-hole here and say that it's a novelty round and nothing more than a cut-down 10mm for recoil sensitive folks. It will fizzle out, as it has been doing for several years and will lay next to the .357 SIG when the few die-hard fans realize that.

Just sayin. :D

Another .40SW fan here: G22, G35, M&P40, TNW ASR, Beretta 96

Sure SOME may think it's on the way out, but I think there are still plenty of adherents and plenty of guns on the market to support it.

I'll be the a-hole here and say that it's a novelty round and nothing more than a cut-down 10mm for recoil sensitive folks. It will fizzle out, as it has been doing for several years and will lay next to the .357 SIG when the few die-hard fans realize that.

Just sayin. :D

Oh no...moderator, ban thyself ;)

Hmmm, new .22TCM fan here myself. I don't think one is going to be enough. As I recall, @Velzey has a rifle in .22TCM - that would be cool addition.

That would be an excellent carbine! Well worth the investment and worth dumping the .40 Short and Wimpy to grab one! :D

LE Issue, P229 40SW ( Pre-ban) Love it wont sell, it I have other calibers I find it the best all round stopper.
Put in some nice edged HP 185gr Brass tips and well I'm a happy camper.

Why other rounds are fun as well. I wont sell the 40 not at any price and ive been offered lots.
Nope Get ya some of the 40SW never look back. Guess were both endangered:s0005:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads