JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Better than blowing a quarter mil and more on "calming" barrels... I think, yes. Is it an effective use of money, in principle, and will it stop bangers from banging... I think, not.

Will it infringe on peoples rights more than it helps.... most definately!!

From that article, anyway, it's concerning that the main product of that system was an increase in stop and frisks and.. "And in California, prosecutors used audio conversations recorded using ShotSpotter microphones as evidence in criminal trials."

Not a great track record for the money and wasting LEO's time chasing ghosts when... "90% of ShotSpotter alerts lead police to find no evidence to corroborate gunfire when police arrive at the location ShotSpotter sent them."

Of course, portlandia probably sees audio surveillance of it's citizens as the biggest positive by-product of the system. I bet they go for it. ;)
Isn't there a book that detailed what happens when the population is recorded? First it was video surveillance for traffic safety... now they are adding audio surveillance...

When do you think they will impose movement restrictions and require papers for access?!?... oh yeah, they already started that.

Many of the cities that use Shotspotter don't see a reduction of shooting and killings. Look at Chicago. They think that high technology is going to solve the cities' problem with police shortage? Most people don't commit crimes when the police presense is heavy. That's the problem, not enough police or where's the police? It's too bad that not too many people wants to be a police officer any more.
Many police are also in the Great Resignation or the early retirement like the rest of the country. Many opportunities out there that is lot lot less dangerous.

Isn't there a book that detailed what happens when the population is recorded? First it was video surveillance for traffic safety... now they are adding audio surveillance...

When do you think they will impose movement restrictions and require papers for access?!?... oh yeah, they already started that.
big_brother.jpg

The great two week to slow the spread was a test of this. To see how far they could push. They found out most were willing to go along as long as there was fear involved. :(

They think that high technology is going to solve the cities' problem

They think feel that high technology is going to solve the cities' problem. . .

Crediting these buffoons with thinking is a mistake.

They think feel that high technology is going to solve the cities' problem. . .

Crediting these buffoons with thinking is a mistake.
Using Chicago should be a blueprint of what NOT to do, regardless of the fluff talk they try and use to justify their wanton failures to their citizens.

But it would take an ounce of common sense to realize that... which the woke are entirely devoid of. More likely? If Chicago can bilk their citizens out of $33mil/yr and that creates a bit of gravy to skim off for their leaders... that sounds like a great idea for us too... mentality.

Using Chicago should be a blueprint of what NOT to do, regardless of the fluff talk they try and use to justify their wanton failures to their citizens.

But it would take an ounce of common sense to realize that... which the woke are entirely devoid of. More likely? If Chicago can bilk their citizens out of $33mil/yr and that creates a bit of gravy to skim off for their leaders... that sounds like a great idea for us too... mentality.
Oddly enough, the same "what NOT to do" principle applies to their strategies with the border, public school curriculum, their understanding of biology, their fiscal approach to everything, and generally anything that requires common sense or honesty and willingness to accept real world data results.

"The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - R. Reagan

Instead of tens of millions, whatever the mayor, DA, chief, city council get paid, maybe a million. Replace them and in less than a year things could make a turn for the better. It's funny in that, getting rid of that never used jail may have been, Step #1, of the bigger plan.

Imagine if there was actually a place to jail everyone?

It is estimated that Shotspotter costs 65 to 90k per square mile per year. Isn't that is enought to pay for one police officer salary? So, I wonder how many square miles Portland is going cover? There's shootings everywhere. My opinion, they might install them mostly downtown, Max stations.

It is estimated that Shotspotter costs 65 to 90k per square mile per year. Isn't that is enought to pay for one police officer salary? So, I wonder how many square miles Portland is going cover? There's shootings everywhere. My opinion, they might install them mostly downtown, Max stations.
Sort of, that will pay base salary. The rule of thumb is twice the base salary to employ someone to break even, three times to make a profit. With a bureaucracy like the government, I think three times the annual salary to employ someone would be the break even point.

Last Edited:
My only experience with shot spotter was in Fresno CA. They got a grant to install it around the most dangerous neighborhoods, down town, and around most of the high schools.
After about a year they had a spree killer in downtown . He shot at 6 0r 7 people killing 3 or 4. Within seconds they had 34 officers moving toward the shooter from all directions.
It was not fast enough to keep him from shooting people but it was fast enough to keep him from leaving the area.
The difference is they were able to put that many officers in the area.
Portland is not going to do that.
Portland has had witnesses call in and report a murder , and the call center told them to get away from there they did not have an officer in the area! DR

Sort of, that will pay base salary. The rule of thumb is twice the base salary to employ someone to break them, three times to make a profit. With a bureaucracy like the government, I think three times the annual salary to employ someone would be the break even point.
Yes, you are correct about that.

Sort of, that will pay base salary. The rule of thumb is twice the base salary to employ someone to break even, three times to make a profit. With a bureaucracy like the government, I think three times the annual salary to employ someone would be the break even point.
Per sq mile?

What is the coverage of a patrol officer? Surely more than one sq mile?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top