JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"A recent study of Chicago showed how, over the span of 21 months, ShotSpotter sent police to dead-end reports of shots fired over 40,000 times"

Overtaxing what few LEO's they have running around chasing their tails... I find that concerning. Of course, it's Portlandia and keeping officers distracted with "busy work" certainly does help to further the soft on crime agenda. ;)
Ukraine is pleading for help! They have so far not been able to match Chicago's shots fired tally.

Here's a real wildhairbrained idea. If portlandia has all that spare money burning a hole in their pockets for crime prevention... fund the police and hire more officers(?)

I know... I know... crazy, hu!?
They can't keep the LEOs they got - a lot of them quit to go somewhere else because of the PDX leadership.

Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to be a LEO in Portland.

They can't keep the LEOs they got - a lot of them quit to go somewhere else because of the PDX leadership.

I applied to work there after I got out of the Marines. First thing the officer said during the "workshop" is that at the Portland Police Dept their primary goal was to fight against the "social injustices" that were occurring.

After hearing that I stood up and walked out. The officer asked where I was going and I looked at her and said this agency is dictated by politics that I don't agree with or want to be apart of.

No one wants to work there. Lol.

Why not try some REAL PUNISHMENT for those who get convicted?

Additionally......
REAL PUNISHMENT will probably send a clearer message to those that might want to also get involved with CRIME.

Nah.....

DEFUND THE POLICE!

Aloha, Mark

I'm not sure where else you expect the politicians to find funding for calming barrels and microphone networks. It's almost like you think money grows on trees.
LOL....I sometimes think the same thing about those newly installed traffic cameras that get installed on traffic light poles. I mean......is anyone actually monitoring? And, do they actually manipulate the lights to alleviate traffic jams? Is it worth it at all?

Progress (I guess).

+++++

Story Time.
A bigger laugh might just be.......
We had several cameras mounted all around the Police Station (for security). But, there was no one to watch the monitors. And, when the cameras broke....there was no money to get them fixed. Not to mention.....no budget for new VHS tape (yeah....the system was that old).

BUT, But, but.....in fairness.....the monitoring system did work for awhile and perhaps at the installation time it was "State of the Art". Besides, the contractor did get his money for the equipment and installation. LOL.....wanna take a guess who he knew?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
LOL....I sometimes think the same thing about those newly installed traffic cameras that get installed on traffic light poles. I mean......is anyone actually monitoring? And, do they actually manipulate the lights to alleviate traffic jams? Is it worth it at all?

Progress (I guess).

+++++

Story Time.
A bigger laugh might just be.......
We had several cameras mounted all around the Police Station (for security). But, there was no one to watch the monitors. And, when the cameras broke....there was no money to get them fixed. Not to mention.....no budget for new VHS tape (yeah....the system was that old).

BUT, But, but.....in fairness.....the monitoring system did work for awhile. And, the contractor did get his money for the installation. LOL.....wanna take a guess who he knew?

Aloha, Mark
Failing to plan when deploying technology is planning to fail. When an agency is bringing on new tech, they need to account for requirements gathering, system design, installation, testing & validation, programming & configuration, maintenance, troubleshooting, emergency response for technical failures, change management, and product lifecycle / roadmap. If they're just bringing in a 3rd party to "get it done" without a maintenance and support agreement, or having someone manage it off the side of their desk, it's gonna fail.

:s0146:

LOL. I've usually found that....
Govt work (and naming/calling stuff a SUCCESS) is very different from Private Industry.

Aloha, Mark

PS....when a Politician says that they'll make/build stuff......

"World Class or State of the Art".

My response is usually like......

roll_eyes.gif

That is........
Beside thinking that EVERYTHING coming out of a Politician's mouth is just another LIE.

Last Edited:

Seattle found this out the hard way too. Chief quit, they made a BID deal out of promoting a guy who could not pass the Captain exam to Chief. So now he has of course pissed off those who outranked him by becoming their boss and the rank and file are fleeing in record numbers. Bonus's being offered to get new hires are not working. Those in charge scratch their heads and say they just don't know what is wrong. Those who voted for this get to live with the mess they asked for. Hope they love every damn second of it. 🤬

So long as the criminals hang out and wait for the police to arrive (assuming they have any to send and they get there within a day) this will work out spiffy. It should even eliminate shootings at gang hangouts almost entirely, however, in those rare instances where criminals leave and don't leave contact information this will not be very effective.

But at least they are "doing something"...

I have a feeling they are going to run afoul over privacy violations. Public is public, but when you are standing with a friend alone on the street and having a quiet converation, there is still an expected level of privacy.

If I'm not mistaken, even the supreme court ruled on that and said individuals are free from warrantless eavesdropping by the government in public places.

Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen and wondering how Chicago has been getting away with it.

Great, hidden tiny microphones throughout neighborhoods. No potential for abuse there (smh). That's right out of the book 1984. Fing idiots.

We already have the damn police noisy Cessna plane with thermal cameras and super zoom flying around most days and nights. Hate that damn thing.

Last Edited:
I have a feeling they are going to run afoul over privacy violations. Public is public, but when you are standing with a friend alone on the street and having a quiet converation, there is still an expected level of privacy.

If I'm not mistaken, even the supreme court ruled on that and said individuals are free from warrantless eavesdropping by the government in public places.

Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen and wondering how Chicago has been getting away with it.
But they might overhear Ultra MAGA Extremists plotting an insurrection to capture the Pearl District or one of the cart lots. or even (clutches pearls) refusing to use someone's personal pronouns or (gasp) going to work the next day

I can tell you exactly how. The "law", "rights", even the constitution only means what a black robe say's it means. Those in power can do anything if some black robe tells them "good idea". Then if someone wants to fight it they have to pay for lawyers and it can take a lot of years to work its way through the courts. :(

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top