JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am shopping for my first bow, I want something to hunt with eventually. I can shoot bow in my backyard now, 1.5 acres. I am looking at a Martin Pantera or Cheetah mag. The only other bow I have really considered is a PSE Bowmadness xs. Does anybody have any suggestions? I want to stick with a small budget incase it becomes a wall hanger... If I really like it I can always upgrade later.

I am new to Archery as well. from my research I find that Elite bows have the best warrenty available and they are excellent bows. there are many out there, good luck.

Dunno about the modern stuff, but I bought a second-hand Martin traditional bow back in 1980 to use for my first bare-bow field archery competition. I liked the general feel and shape in the hand. It looks a bit like the new X-150 and is a 40# 28". Apart from looking after it and making a few strings [NOT Fastflite] it looks much the same as it did the day I bought it - still draws up nicely and works well.

The best $10 I ever paid for a bow.

tac

I killed my deer last year with a Kodiak Outdoors (something like that).It was a 4YO left over at wholesale.It was very accurate,too.So price doesn't always mean perfect bow. And I'm like you,buy cheap till you really get into it then you aren't hurt over spending a bunch

But watch craigslist for some deals.

Go to a reputable archery shop and get fitted first. Draw length is important. Shoot several different bows. Most archery shops have a large supply of used bows at near givaway prices. Get your bow paper tuned, draw weight set, and Chronoed. There are a number of good bows out there and there is junk. I shoot Mathews, but Bowtech is made in Oregon and makes some fine bows and would be my second choice.

I have had a Martin for about 6 years now. I don't remember the exact model, it's named for some African cat! :p It wasn't their cheapest bow at the time, but isn't their top of the line either. I spent around $500 for the package from Bass Pro.

It has been a fantastic bow that has shot very well for me. I haven't had any problems with it. I shoot just as well as my buddies with their Matthews.

Visit an archery shop and have yourself measured. It's very important to get your draw length right as well as arrow length. Don't worry about IBO speed or any of that other nonsense. Any modern bow can kill any North American ungulate without issue. I think I have mine set for around 55lbs and have yet to have an elk toss an arrow back at me! ;)

Beware, archery is addictive. I have pretty much kissed modern firearm hunting goodbye.

I've always wanted to try some Archery. Where is a good Portland shop that offers some training? The last time I shot one it had a suction cup on the end.

i have a martin c4 cougar SE with the dyna cam. its the 2007 model... i love it. fairly fast for the draw length i have... 28inch draw shooting goldtip hunter xp 5575 arrows with 100 grain field point...total weight is like 350 grains registers on the chronograph just under 300fps. its very accurate. not a lot of noise... some but not a lot. i would recommend a martin bow to anyone. they have awesome customer service.

I have a martin panther with sights quiver and some easton arrows with hunting tips some other misc bow hunting stuff. If you are interested, I could send pictures it is in very good shape. Good luck

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top