JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Man .
That no coating thing is limiting your options considerably. You really need to hit the sweet spot of finding something used, at least 30 years old, and made of decent steel.

Not only has fashion changed, but available materials are way up in value since the millennium rolled over.

Yes, just use a hatchet without any weird coatings on the blade. It works fine. Put your palm on the back of the head and you have plenty of control.

The real question is, why didn't you just make your own thread?This isn't the 'wanted' section and you are way off course on the thread topic.

Old carbon steel kitchen knives work well as "Budget Bowies"...And can be found at less than $40.
All 3 of the below are over 100 years old...and still get used as camp , hunting and kitchen knives.
Andy

Edit to add:
If you go this route...don't buy any old cheap kitchen knife...it will fall apart for sure.
Older Old Hickory , Ontario , Russell "Green River" , Dexter ...etc...are all good ones that are fairly easy to find.

DSC05780.jpg

Last Edited:
Yes, just use a hatchet without any weird coatings on the blade. It works fine. Put your palm on the back of the head and you have plenty of control.

The real question is, why didn't you just make your own thread?This isn't the 'wanted' section and you are way off course on the thread topic.
Lol.
I apologize. The original question you posed of wanting a Bowie style blade for covering a wide variety of camp chores got me thinking.

I regard of your ideal blade , I am guessing you want to save weight and minimize your loadout.

Old carbon steel kitchen knives work well as "Budget Bowies"...And can be at less than $40.
All 3 of the below are over 100 years old...and still get used as camp , hunting and kitchen knives.
Andy
View attachment 992470
I was going to suggest similar, but clearing trail or any firewood type work is going to destroy old high carbon kitchen knives.

I was going to suggest similar, but clearing trail or any firewood type work is going to destroy old high carbon kitchen knives.
That large one on the bottom is a old Russel Green River "Butcher"....
It has cleared a few trails and split kindling....for many years and still going strong....it all depends on the knife and how you use it or abuse it.
Andy

For camping I typically carry a 3.5 - 5" fixed or folding blade knife and often augment that with a smallish ~6" meat cleaver if I'm not carrying a hatchet or ax. Never have had a bowie knife, I stick to lighter kit so I can carry more ammo. :s0062:

If your really stuck on a bowie hit the yard sales I often see the under $50. retail knifes for $5 - $20 and they'll usually take less than their asking price.

Old carbon steel kitchen knives work well as "Budget Bowies"...And can be found at less than $40.
Andy

Edit to add:
If you go this route...don't buy any old cheap kitchen knife...it will fall about for sure.
Older Old Hickory , Ontario , Russell "Green River" , Dexter ...etc...are all good ones that are fairly easy to find.

View attachment 992470
It seems with the advent of the Ginzu knives no one knows how to care for a good kitchen knife. I like to garage sale and buy Hinkels for a buck or two. I got a Hinkel carving set for 5 bucks once. A good set of sharp knives makes short work of turning a rump roast into jerky meat.

It seems with the advent of the Ginzu knives no one knows how to care for a good kitchen knife. I like to garage sale and buy Hinkels for a buck or two. I got a Hinkel carving set for 5 bucks once. A good set of sharp knives makes short work of turning a rump roast into jerky meat.
Henckels makes some great knives for sure...and yeah a lot of folks sure don't seem to care or sharpen their knives.
Andy

I'm another that uses an old kitchen knife. I have a Green River that has split the pelvis of many deer! It cuts kindling, strips branches etc... I'm sure I did not pay over a dollar for it at a yard sale. I also have a WWII PAL knife that serves the same purpose. Again I paid next to nothing for it. They are out there!

Hey all,

I'm getting back into extended camping after a long, long absence, and I'm curious if anyone has recommendations on a decent quality bowie knife under say, $40. It doesn't need to be anything amazing or fancy, really I'm just looking for full tang, carbon steel, and the ability to help me chop veggies/meat, rope, etc. Light camp duty. I have a hatchet for the harder stuff like firewood. Always wanted a bowie, it's an American classic, this seems the perfect excuse to get one, but I'm not about to spend $100 on a knife.

I saw Winchester had one for $22 but that price point made me... suspicious. I've heard Winchester knives are poor quality, so, I'm looking for something more expensive than "this is crap" and less expensive than "sweet baby jesus". Any advice is appreciated.

I seem to accumulate knives I'll never use.

One I ended up with is a Marbles Bowie. For the price, i can't imagine it's anything but a Marbles logo on a Chineez knife, but as best i can tell, it's a really decent knife.

InkedInkedInkedScreenshot 2021-07-20 at 07-40-05 Amazon com Marbles Bowie Stacked Leather Spor...jpg

Last Edited:
What about a bayonet ?
That opens up a metric ton of options.
The ones that come to mind :
Ontario Knife Company - OKC
Kabar
Glock
Russian AK Bakelite
Yugo AK

For example, here's the Russian "Bakelite"
The slotted hole and stud on the sheath creates a wire cutter to cut through the Amerikanski perimeter wire.
In case you feel the need to get "inside the wire".
akk-8002_689_detail.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads