JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Morakniv companion -
I have a few of these and beat the hell out of all of them. 45 gets you 3.
Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade Outdoor Knife with Carbon Steel Blade, 4.1-Inch, Military Green https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TNWD40/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_9TMBWDRDEQX36AM14PKD
Ontario sp1 -
I know you said no coating. Still going to suggest this. The only damage I've seen to the coating is from sharpening.
Ontario Knife Company 8679 Sp-1 Combat Knife with Black Nylon Sheath, One Size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075NNTTH3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_B0P3SV6021T2C923S5AK
Buck 119 Hunter -
One of the better hard use knives I own. Has the benefit of a lifetime warranty.
Buck Knives 119 Special Fixed Blade Knife W/Sheath, 6-Inch Clip Blade, Special Build Out https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L21S9L1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CX2P59XB095NWY3BJ5FJ

Hey all,

I'm getting back into extended camping after a long, long absence, and I'm curious if anyone has recommendations on a decent quality bowie knife under say, $40. It doesn't need to be anything amazing or fancy, really I'm just looking for full tang, carbon steel, and the ability to help me chop veggies/meat, rope, etc. Light camp duty. I have a hatchet for the harder stuff like firewood. Always wanted a bowie, it's an American classic, this seems the perfect excuse to get one, but I'm not about to spend $100 on a knife.

I saw Winchester had one for $22 but that price point made me... suspicious. I've heard Winchester knives are poor quality, so, I'm looking for something more expensive than "this is crap" and less expensive than "sweet baby jesus". Any advice is appreciated.

KA-BAR

BUCK

ONTARIO

MORA

Etc.!

~~~

Bowie style?

BUCK 119 SPECIAL

It does not have the ALL carbon steel blade which is hard to find in some brands.

Check this out and you can find them much cheaper brand NEW aka NIB in several stores.

The ANNIVERSARY edition costs more.

I have 2 of these - one regular and one in the anniversary edition.

~~~

MORA made/makes a heavy duty CARBON STEEL knife. Heavy Duty version of the Companion (?) if my memory is correct. We had 2 of them and my husband felt sorry for a man who needed a knife, the guy hit or found a deer on the road, and he gave that man HIS knife that he had in his truck. A spare one. He KNEW the man well (From the gym.) and it did not cost that much so he told him to keep the knife!

My husband has given much more EXPENSIVE knives away as gifts too. Me too.

He could not believe that the MAN did not have a knife to gut/clean the deer in his truck so he gave them one of our 2 knives. With that said, IT WAS NOT a BOWIE STYLE KNIFE.

~~~

BOWIE STYLE only?

Anyway, for the woods/wilderness - I would use:

MADE IN NEW YORK - KA-BAR Military or Bowie style FIXED good blade knives.

Three here but they are 'coated' blades. Original style ones bought NIB. Marine, etc. and in different lengths for 2 of them.

MADE IN IDAHO - BUCK - 119 Special

BUCK Frontiersman (I do NOT own a Frontiersman but I have considered buying one on and off.)

Etc.

Ontario - none here now but here is a LINK for you.

~~~

The MORA that I mentioned is NOT a Bowie knife AND it does have a carbon steel BLADE. I do not think that it is what you are looking for my since I was just going through some of my knives... I wanted to bring it up since SOME of our Mora knife BLADES are carbon steel and some are not.

BUCK

113 RANGER SKINNER - fixed blade.

VANGUARD - fixed blade.

WOODSMAN - fixed blade.

ETC.

But those ABOVE are not larger Bowie STYLE knives but they are very NICE knives to carry, use and clean up in the woods, wilderness, around the house and in/out of your home. I have them too.

~~~

Some of the other posters here already mentioned some good knives.

I would NOT want to carry a flimsy knife that I could NOT count on myself.

You can buy some good knives even if they are NOT custom made like some of us own or our spouses own.

You can buy some GREAT NIB knives from good companies (Warranties!) that will last you for a LONG time if you care for them.

My late Dad and Mom had some GREAT older/newer kitchen and other knives with CARBON STEEL only blades. New York made, Germany, England, Finland, etc. They had some with SS blades too.

Some of those OLDER knives with carbon steel blades are hard to find and IF you can find them - they cost more in some cases that a NIB good MADE IN NY Ka-Bar or MADE IN IDAHO Buck or Ontario or ???!!!

I do not know if Opinel out of France EVER made a Bowie style knife. They do make some with carbon steel blades. Classic ones and my husband gave me one - NIB.

Here is a LINK for you but I have not studied it lately.

Best wishes to you.

Cate

KA-BAR

BUCK

ONTARIO

MORA

Etc.!

~~~

Bowie style?

BUCK 119 SPECIAL

It does not have the ALL carbon steel blade which is hard to find in some brands.

Check this out and you can find them much cheaper brand NEW aka NIB in several stores.

The ANNIVERSARY edition costs more.

I have 2 of these - one regular and one in the anniversary edition.

~~~

MORA made/makes a heavy duty CARBON STEEL knife. Heavy Duty version of the Companion (?) if my memory is correct. We had 2 of them and my husband felt sorry for a man who needed a knife, the guy hit or found a deer on the road, and he gave that man HIS knife that he had in his truck. A spare one. He KNEW the man well (From the gym.) and it did not cost that much so he told him to keep the knife!

My husband has given much more EXPENSIVE knives away as gifts too. Me too.

He could not believe that the MAN did not have a knife to gut/clean the deer in his truck so he gave them one of our 2 knives. With that said, IT WAS NOT a BOWIE STYLE KNIFE.

~~~

BOWIE STYLE only?

Anyway, for the woods/wilderness - I would use:

MADE IN NEW YORK - KA-BAR Military or Bowie style FIXED good blade knives.

Three here but they are 'coated' blades. Original style ones bought NIB. Marine, etc. and in different lengths for 2 of them.

MADE IN IDAHO - BUCK - 119 Special

BUCK Frontiersman (I do NOT own a Frontiersman but I have considered buying one on and off.)

Etc.

Ontario - none here now but here is a LINK for you.

~~~

The MORA that I mentioned is NOT a Bowie knife AND it does have a carbon steel BLADE. I do not think that it is what you are looking for my since I was just going through some of my knives... I wanted to bring it up since SOME of our Mora knife BLADES are carbon steel and some are not.

BUCK

113 RANGER SKINNER - fixed blade.

VANGUARD - fixed blade.

WOODSMAN - fixed blade.

ETC.

But those ABOVE are not larger Bowie STYLE knives but they are very NICE knives to carry, use and clean up in the woods, wilderness, around the house and in/out of your home. I have them too.

~~~

Some of the other posters here already mentioned some good knives.

I would NOT want to carry a flimsy knife that I could NOT count on myself.

You can buy some good knives even if they are NOT custom made like some of us own or our spouses own.

You can buy some GREAT NIB knives from good companies (Warranties!) that will last you for a LONG time if you care for them.

My late Dad and Mom had some GREAT older/newer kitchen and other knives with CARBON STEEL only blades. New York made, Germany, England, Finland, etc. They had some with SS blades too.

Some of those OLDER knives with carbon steel blades are hard to find and IF you can find them - they cost more in some cases that a NIB good MADE IN NY Ka-Bar or MADE IN IDAHO Buck or Ontario or ???!!!

I do not know if Opinel out of France EVER made a Bowie style knife. They do make some with carbon steel blades. Classic ones and my husband gave me one - NIB.

Here is a LINK for you but I have not studied it lately.

Best wishes to you.

Cate

Schrade

Case - MADE IN PA

Old Hickory

~~~

I can't remember all of the old New York and New England company names now.

Cate

I have had a Glock M81 since the Early Pleistocene (actually since the 80s). It has been a great camping and outdoor knife for a reasonable price. Now it rides in the emergency stuff bag in the car.

I have had a Glock M81 since the Early Pleistocene (actually since the 80s). It has been a great camping and outdoor knife for a reasonable price. Now it rides in the emergency stuff bag in the car.
My husband was looking for a black Glock knife in a store out here. They were out of the black ones and he may check that store again.

Thank you for your input.

Cate

Believe it or not, but this Smith & Wesson is a super good quality blade in the traditional bowie shape, size and weight, seems to hold it's edge well and can take a lot of abuse like chopping branches, making kindling, and even working through bone, and it stays sharp! Also comes with a surprisingly good leather sheath! It's BIG, its weighty, and it's comfortable in the hand!

1632815120362.png

Believe it or not, but this Smith & Wesson is a super good quality blade in the traditional bowie shape, size and weight, seems to hold it's edge well and can take a lot of abuse like chopping branches, making kindling, and even working through bone, and it stays sharp! Also comes with a surprisingly good leather sheath! It's BIG, its weighty, and it's comfortable in the hand!

View attachment 1040643
I've got an old rubber handled S&W skinner.. it's awesome.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top