JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is the bowie knife that I just bought. The sawback is really just for aesthetic value. But there are some practical uses for the sawback. Bending wire for traps and scaling fish. Any ideas of practical uses for the sawback on this knife or any that you have done yourself?

Screenshot 2024-02-08 202128.jpg

This is the bowie knife that I just bought. The sawback is really just for aesthetic value. But there are some practical uses for the sawback. Bending wire for traps and scaling fish. Any ideas of practical uses for the sawback on this knife or any that you have done yourself?

View attachment 1821224
What type of fish are you scaling?
Honestly curious.

Some sawback knives have a useful "saw"...the much maligned Glock Field knife comes to mind here.
I found the "root saw back " useful at times...it was sharp and did good work on roots , branches and the like.

As for the knife pictured in the OP ...while not for me...I hope it works for the owner.
Andy

Last Edited:
Yeah, I was never a fan of sawbacks. That one looks particularly useless. A flat spine with nice crisp edges can scale and scrape just fine, and you can baton on it without chewing up your striking tool. If I need a saw I will carry a lightweight cable saw. They will chew through basically anything and weigh next to nothing.

OP noted it was aesthetic. Agreed it was not practical but wondered about uses for sawbacks. I like the blade coloring. Unusual and striking. I'm not sawing in the woods so not looking for sawbacks. In fact, I personally like bushcraft knives, but I don't take one with me hunting anymore either because I'm watching my weight.

View attachment 1821224
It's pretty much like a hay bale hook but for meat. Quite specialized.

It's pretty much like a hay bale hook but for meat. Quite specialized.
You are going to have to explain this one to me, because I do not see how a "hay bale hook, but for meat" is a useful thing to have. Is the context here utility? Fighting? Food processing? Or was this more sarcasm than actual observation? I am confused.

You are going to have to explain this one to me, because I do not see how a "hay bale hook, but for meat" is a useful thing to have. Is the context here utility? Fighting? Food processing? Or was this more sarcasm than actual observation? I am confused.
Don't ask questions, man.

He's like Dennis Miller (pre 2000s) and Steven Wright created a monster in the basement.

Just sit back and enjoy.

It's code for stick it in some meat and it'll stick.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top