JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I inherited this bow from my FIL. I shot it with him once in the backyard, but admittedly know nothing about it or bows in general. Unfortunately, I dont see myself ever doing anything with it. I try to keep a pretty minimal lifestyle... I use what I have and don't see a point in keeping things I don't use.

Its a 60", right hand, Bear Kodiak Hunter. No idea the draw weight. No idea how to date it. My wife said she can't remember a time he didn't have it and she's 38. Seems to be in excellent condition. I tried to look it up and saw similar specimens from $250 to $750.

So my questions are...

1. If I were to sell this what would I value it at for a private sale?

2. If trades were an option for me would my trade value be higher than cash value? (I see this a lot so wondering how valid the idea is)

20230216_183116.jpg 20230216_183059.jpg 20230216_183048.jpg 20230216_183040.jpg

Last Edited:
I'd just see what they are selling for on ebay/etc. and go from there. You could say that you are looking for X amount in trade value. It wouldn't hurt. But right now whether it be blades, guns, or bows it's not really a sellers market unless you find the right buyer or it's a screaming deal.

I'd just see what they are selling for on ebay/etc. and go from there. You could say that you are looking for X amount in trade value. It wouldn't hurt. But right now whether it be blades, guns, or bows it's not really a sellers market unless you find the right buyer or it's a screaming deal.
Appreciate the response. Thank you.

Edit to add: I did look on ebay and saw a range of $250 to $375. Problem is I dont know if they're selling at this price. Figured there has to be some bow guys here who could shed some light.

Appreciate the response. Thank you.

Edit to add: I did look on ebay and saw a range of $250 to $375. Problem is I dont know if they're selling at this price. Figured there has to be some bow guys here who could shed some light.
I'm watching this thread with interest. It's been years since I've seen a recurve in the woods, so I figured their value might wane with decreasing popularity. Boy was I surprised to discover the prices, even used, are as high as they were when recurves were state-of-the-art.:cool:

Last Edited:
I'm watching this thread with interest. It's been years since I've seen a recurve in the woods, so I figured their value would wane with interest. Boy was I surprised to discover the asking prices are as high as they were when recurves were state-of-the-art.:cool:
My FIL hunted with this one until he was in his mid-60s. Always impressed the hell outta me.

I think the trade value being higher is sometimes just to get full value of item in trade, cash is king and sometimes a guy is willing to sell for cash cheaper but if it's a trade-especially if it's something to be traded or sold again rather than used, you want full value so you'renot trading down......

As far as value goes, filter the ebay search results by "sold" items. Vintage recurve value really depends on condition and rarity. Many are stored inproperly and have warpped limbs making the value drop significantly. Some people collect, others shoot them. I currently have a LH recurve for sale, that I'm pretty sure I could get a fair price for on ebay but local sale interest is pretty low. If you want top dollar sale on Ebay, otherwise I'd plan on getting substantially less. BTW, The info on draw weight etc, should be written on the flat area below the handle- if it's well used the writing may be wore off or barely readable.

I think the trade value being higher is sometimes just to get full value of item in trade, cash is king and sometimes a guy is willing to sell for cash cheaper but if it's a trade-especially if it's something to be traded or sold again rather than used, you want full value so you'renot trading down......

As far as value goes, filter the ebay search results by "sold" items. Vintage recurve value really depends on condition and rarity. Many are stored inproperly and have warpped limbs making the value drop significantly. Some people collect, others shoot them. I currently have a LH recurve for sale, that I'm pretty sure I could get a fair price for on ebay but local sale interest is pretty low. If you want top dollar sale on Ebay, otherwise I'd plan on getting substantially less. BTW, The info on draw weight etc, should be written on the flat area below the handle- if it's well used the writing may be wore off or barely readable.
Thank you for the response.

Not sure where to sell your bow , or a real world value or worth....

However ...
I am sure that a easy way to ruin a recurve or long bow is to store it for long periods of time by leaning it against a wall.
It is good to store a recuve or long bow by....
Laying it flat on the floor or by hanging it on the wall.
Having it lean up against the wall....can lead to deforming the bow and having the limbs twist.
Andy

So I inherited this bow from my FIL. I shot it with him once in the backyard, but admittedly know nothing about it or bows in general. Unfortunately, I dont see myself ever doing anything with it. I try to keep a pretty minimal lifestyle... I use what I have and don't see a point in keeping things I don't use.

Its a 60", right hand, Bear Kodiak Hunter. No idea the draw weight. No idea how to date it. My wife said she can't remember a time he didn't have it and she's 38. Seems to be in excellent condition. I tried to look it up and saw similar specimens from $250 to $750.

So my questions are...

1. If I were to sell this what would I value it at for a private sale?

2. If trades were an option for me would my trade value be higher than cash value? (I see this a lot so wondering how valid the idea is)

View attachment 1366974 View attachment 1366975 View attachment 1366976 View attachment 1366977
Google Bear Kodiak Hunter, and you will find an abundance of information.
👍👍
Best,
Gary

However ...
I am sure that a easy way to ruin a recurve or long bow is to store it for long periods of time by leaning it against a wall.
Having it lean up against the wall....can lead to deforming the bow and having the limbs twist.
Andy
I knew there was a reason we kept you around. :s0101:

However ...
Andy
Well…. that explains my right shoulder!! ;)

This. And old bows that used fiberglass may be okay, but they can also explode at full draw. Era of manufacture, age and storage are all components. I inherited my brother's collection including a beautiful Hoyt target recurve from the 70's. I would never string it, but it looks great on the wall. I do shoot the more modern Hoyt Medalist with various limbs. You have a beautiful bow and hope you can find a good home for it.

Poundage rating should be marked on the riser with a "Hash Mark" (#). Commercial bows are usually rated at 28" draw length (the industry standard). Custom bowmakers can tailor their bows to reach optimum poundage according to the draw length of the customer.

If the bow was used (shot, pulled) "relatively" recently, I would not be concerned with drawing it, utilizing "warm-up" pulls (short, shallow pulls, increasing to spec draw length only). Never string it improperly. A rope stringer is best.

I shoot my brother's Grizzly 65lb regularly. It's probably a 50 year old bow.
I have a Howard Hill longbow (45lb) from the '50's that I also shoot regularly. (bought it from my Dentist!)

My current recurve hunting bow is more modern: a Wes Wallace takedown.
1676654767330.jpeg

You have a piece of Archery history there. I'd advise you to keep it, but it sounds like you've made up your mind otherwise. I believe it would appeal most to an experienced bowhunter that is considering transitioning from compound to traditional. The Kodiaks are legendary classics. Although my first big game bow was made in wood shop class, my first factory bow was a Kodiak Magnum 52lb. Radically short: looks like something that should be up on a castle parapet.

However ...
Andy
It was against the wall for pictures for about a minute. It lives on a custom built rack that hangs from the wall.

20230217_103715.jpg

Poundage rating should be marked on the riser with a "Hash Mark" (#). Commercial bows are usually rated at 28" draw length (the industry standard
This is correct. Look at the riser for a number followed by the # sign For draw weight. Quotes followed by a number is typically draw length or if, for example 62", then, bow length.

I own and still occasionally shoot a LH Bear Kodiak Hunter purchased new in 1972. It's new strings, which I replace every few years. Left hand bows are valued a little less than right hand bows (and I shoot my compound bow right due to eye dominance), so that isn't always determinative of value either. I'd value mine for sale at $300. Yours should be worth a bit more. That said, I have seen similar models go for less and othered listed higher. Whether they sold I can't tell you. You might want to look at the Archerytalk forum too, as it has an older or "vintage" bow section in its classifieds. May also depend on where you are selling. Does the area where you live have traditional bowhunters? A lotta of bow hunters? That sort of thing. Regardless, Good luck.

I own two Kodiak Hunters. A #45 and #50 draw weight. They were made between 1967-1977.

It used to be that you couldn't give them away in the 90s and early 2000s but with the resurgence of traditional archery, interest has perked back up for some of the older Bear recurves. Lots of examples on eBay.

I use mine exclusively for bow fishing.

-E-

I own two Kodiak Hunters. A #45 and #50 draw weight. They were made between 1967-1977.

It used to be that you couldn't give them away in the 90s and early 2000s but with the resurgence of traditional archery, interest has perked back up for some of the older Bear recurves. Lots of examples on eBay.

-E-
Back in the early 60s, I had a Bear Polar. That, was a reflex bow and it had a 40# pull weight.
I would be surprised if many of you folks have seen one of those.
Best,
Gary

This is correct. Look at the riser for a number followed by the # sign For draw weight. Quotes followed by a number is typically draw length or if, for example 62", then, bow length.

I own and still occasionally shoot a LH Bear Kodiak Hunter purchased new in 1972. It's new strings, which I replace every few years. Left hand bows are valued a little less than right hand bows (and I shoot my compound bow right due to eye dominance), so that isn't always determinative of value either. I'd value mine for sale at $300. Yours should be worth a bit more. That said, I have seen similar models go for less and othered listed higher. Whether they sold I can't tell you. You might want to look at the Archerytalk forum too, as it has an older or "vintage" bow section in its classifieds. May also depend on where you are selling. Does the area where you live have traditional bowhunters? A lotta of bow hunters? That sort of thing. Regardless, Good luck.
Thank for this. Appreciate it.

-E-
Thank you

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR