JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Howdy folks. Was looking to gather some information on a local bowyer company called, Tradition-Al bows. Any info posted would be appreciated.

I'm looking to get into a T/D recurve here in the somewhat near future and have discovered a company in Eagle Creek called Tradition-Al Bows, but there is very little information about them. They do have a Facebook page, but I'm not on FB. Has anyone purchased a bow from them, how is the quality and pricing and would you recommend them? Also, contact information would be awesome. Thanks.

Last Edited:
There is an outfit in Clackamas that advertises on CL (or used to) and they look like they have some very nice stuff plus will custom build at your request.

Sorry for the thread drift, just thought they might have what you want and are closer.

Forever I've been Jonesing over the hand-made traditional North American bows made by a gentleman who frequents the Portland Saturday market on weekends. I can't recall his name, but his work is very impressive. I'm betting that he could make any style of self-bow you could name, from English longbow to the one used by the late Ishi.

tac

Curt Brisky of Brisky Bows is a excellent guy to do business with.
He makes incredible bows and sells at a fair price.
He made my 58# Osage longbow....
Andy
DSC06042.jpg

DSC06040.jpg

There is an outfit in Clackamas that advertises on CL (or used to) and they look like they have some very nice stuff plus will custom build at your request.

Sorry for the thread drift, just thought they might have what you want and are closer.
No drift at all, I'm just looking for a bow. :DTradition-Al's address is actually right across the street from my gun club...Douglas Ridge Rifle Club. No sign...I actually discovered them by looking at google maps of the club and noticed they were right across the street. Will check it Craigslist and see if anything is popping up...Thanks Joe!

Forever I've been Jonesing over the hand-made traditional North American bows made by a gentleman who frequents the Portland Saturday market on weekends. I can't recall his name, but his work is very impressive. I'm betting that he could make any style of self-bow you could name, from English longbow to the one used by the late Ishi.

tac
Will also look into this @tac, thanks. Can anyone concur that this gent is still at the market?

What I have been absolutely lusting over for years is a Dale Stahl Takedown Recurve, out Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He is a cabinetmaker by trade and has access to lots of beautiful woods and is a master at his craft. Unfortunately, there is a 20 month wait on his work.

Below are pictures of my uncles Stahl. 20160122_220159-1.jpeg 20160122_220320-1.jpeg 20160122_222309-1.jpeg 20160122_222628-1.jpeg 20160122_223001-1.jpeg 20160122_215023-1.jpeg 20160122_215629-1.jpeg

If you havnt ever been, you really owe your self a trip to Gillmore hardwoods in Portland, you want exotic woods, that's the best place to find them! Reminds me, I need to visit soon, I need some more Scotish Brier for my pipe making! :)

Curt Brisky of Brisky Bows is a excellent guy to do business with.
He makes incredible bows and sells at a fair price.
He made my 58# Osage longbow....
Andy

Nice bow Andy!
One question though, do you have to put the point on the arrow after you nock it on the string or can you just, you know, load it regular-like. ;)

What I have been absolutely lusting over for years is a Dale Stahl Takedown Recurve, out Philadelphia

Mister B- that is one gorgeous piece of art! Have you got to shoot it?

What I have been absolutely lusting over for years is a Dale Stahl Takedown Recurve, out Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He is a cabinetmaker by trade and has access to lots of beautiful woods and is a master at his craft. Unfortunately, there is a 20 month wait on his work.

Below are pictures of my uncles Stahl. View attachment 483686 View attachment 483687 View attachment 483688 View attachment 483689 View attachment 483690 View attachment 483691 View attachment 483692

Are you looking for a hand-crafted bow, specifically? I bought a commercial takedown recurve last year that's great for what I use it for, just occasional "plinking". I didn't want to sink too much money into something more expensive until I knew I would be using it.

Nice bow Andy!
One question though, do you have to put the point on the arrow after you nock it on the string or can you just, you know, load it regular-like. ;)
Naw ....you load it regular like....:D

I have made some Footed Arrows before....those are arrows which are made so you can replace the heads and are made with a short piece of arrow shafting...:D
Andy

Are you looking for a hand-crafted bow, specifically? I bought a commercial takedown recurve last year that's great for what I use it for, just occasional "plinking". I didn't want to sink too much money into something more expensive until I knew I would be using it.
I'd be open to a commercial. I'm kind of big on aesthetics, as I take great pride in owning something beautiful and functional. I always try to buy the best that I can afford as well, as the saying goes...Buy once, cry once. But, I'm not trying to pay $1000 for one either.

There are a few reasons why I am steering towards a custom. Customs are usually made by hand and given great care and attention to detail, labor of love. A lot of bowyers tend to be multi-generational and I really dig supporting the small guy. It's dying tradition and I'd like to do my small part in helping it live on. I currently do not have a budget for this, just trying to do some research and build some motivation factor. I'm thinking I would probably be in the $300-600 range.

If you havnt ever been, you really owe your self a trip to Gillmore hardwoods in Portland, you want exotic woods, that's the best place to find them! Reminds me, I need to visit soon, I need some more Scotish Brier for my pipe making! :)
Do you hand make brier pipes? I'd love to see some pics if you want to share.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top