JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,

I'm getting back into extended camping after a long, long absence, and I'm curious if anyone has recommendations on a decent quality bowie knife under say, $40. It doesn't need to be anything amazing or fancy, really I'm just looking for full tang, carbon steel, and the ability to help me chop veggies/meat, rope, etc. Light camp duty. I have a hatchet for the harder stuff like firewood. Always wanted a bowie, it's an American classic, this seems the perfect excuse to get one, but I'm not about to spend $100 on a knife.

I saw Winchester had one for $22 but that price point made me... suspicious. I've heard Winchester knives are poor quality, so, I'm looking for something more expensive than "this is crap" and less expensive than "sweet baby jesus". Any advice is appreciated.

Just going by your title, go to Goodwill, look for Diamond Dogs, Aladdin Sane, Heroes or Ziggy Stardust in the LP section. :D

For a full sized Bowie? Good luck.
I find a Buck 6" is pretty good. I use my 4" folder regularly while camping for everything. Have a 6" Boker that I picked up on clearance for $25 that keeps a great edge. I was loaned a WWII marine's K-Bar for a few months. Best blade I have ever used. Every time I see one from then, I think of Orrie. Spendy, easily rusts, but keeps the best edge through *hard* use of any blade I've ever used.

Just going by your title, go to Goodwill, look for Diamond Dogs, Aladdin Sane, Heroes or Ziggy Stardust in the LP section. :D

For a full sized Bowie? Good luck.
I find a Buck 6" is pretty good. I use my 4" folder regularly while camping for everything. Have a 6" Boker that I picked up on clearance for $25 that keeps a great edge. I was loaned a WWII marine's K-Bar for a few months. Best blade I have ever used. Every time I see one from then, I think of Orrie. Spendy, easily rusts, but keeps the best edge through *hard* use of any blade I've ever used.
FYI- you WANT your fighting knife (ie a KBAR) or an M-7/9 bayonet to have some rust on it…. Cuz if your enemy doesn't bleed out, he'll at least get a wicked infection, go totally septic, or get tetanus… ;):D

• Ontario sp5 $60.00
  • Made using a 1095 Carbon Steel, the OKC SP5 Bowie Knife will hold it's edge for incredibly long periods of time before needing to be sharpened
  • The Kraton material on the handle of the OKC SP5 Fixed Blade Bowie Knife will provide you with an amazing grip in almost any situation
  • The SP-5 Bowie Knife features a 10" black powder coated, bowie style blade ground to a full flat taper with a swedge (recurve)
  • The deep ridged Kraton handle, attached lanyard, and finger guard provide added security by resisting slipping. It comes with a black nylon belt sheath for convenient storage or carry
  • This classic style was made famous by Jim Bowie in the 1800s and has a long history as a fighting blade because of Bowie's duel known as the Vidalia Sandbar fight in 1827
  • Made in USA

Couple in your price range:

Schrade:

Schrade-Extreme-Survival-Large--29142

Schrade-Frontier-SCHF52-Fixed-Blade--36736

Kershaw Camp 5:

Kershaw-Camp-5-Fixed-Blade-Knife--106035

• Ontario sp5 $60.00
  • Made using a 1095 Carbon Steel, the OKC SP5 Bowie Knife will hold it's edge for incredibly long periods of time before needing to be sharpened
  • The Kraton material on the handle of the OKC SP5 Fixed Blade Bowie Knife will provide you with an amazing grip in almost any situation
  • The SP-5 Bowie Knife features a 10" black powder coated, bowie style blade ground to a full flat taper with a swedge (recurve)
  • The deep ridged Kraton handle, attached lanyard, and finger guard provide added security by resisting slipping. It comes with a black nylon belt sheath for convenient storage or carry
  • This classic style was made famous by Jim Bowie in the 1800s and has a long history as a fighting blade because of Bowie's duel known as the Vidalia Sandbar fight in 1827
  • Made in USA
Best budget, Im not a Bowie guy.
I have alot of knives, my new favorite is my kabar warthog, not the folder.
Its ugly as a 20 dollar whore but. I really like. using it in the bush.

97SMBWZ_1__89209.1607300811.jpg

This cold steel black bear looks promising.

That handle material sucks, but at the price point who cares.

• Ontario sp5 $60.00
  • Made in USA
This one is right into the wheelhouse ^^^

:s0155:

Just to be clear, I don't mind paying for quality, I mind paying for, I guess you'd call it "bragging rights". I don't need a hand-forged blade made from a local 50 year master blacksmith. It's a knife I'm buying to do work. Cut rope, chop potatoes, be at my side if I happen across fish while I'm out camping for a week or two at a time, and don't fall apart if I need to split small kindling or get a little rough with a particularily stubborn potato. That's basically all I need it for.

Does anyone have a suggestion that doesn't have any coating on the steel? Camping leaves a lot of free time to maintain a bare steel blade, and I'm always leery of coatings on anything I plan to use for my food. Inevitably, that coating flakes or wears off after a while.

My BlackJack Model 5 does all I need for a large , somewhat Bowie type knife to do.

Granted...it is north of $40 dollars...even when found used...but ...
It has served me well on four combat tours...and still finds work as a camp and hunting knife.
Andy
DSC06038.jpg
Edit to add :
At the risk of sounding like a knife snob...you get what you pay for...and while some expensive knives are worthless...the expensive ones that are quality....rarely let you down.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top