JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
But, But, Nature is a kind, nurturing womb like, fairy tale where lions talk and pumas are soft and cuddely! Penguins do dance routines and animals talk in NYC accents (when needed for comedic effect)!
ANNND that info for DDT is Where again?

im not going to claim to be an expert but i know what they told us they were spraying when i was in school. small town people think small there, who knows maybe the administrators didnt know what they were talking about but it was repeated every time it was scheduled.

DDT is a white powder, it would sometimes be mixed with an oil to make it stick to things (like plants and trees), the same is true for malathion and a number of other insecticides. I'm not one who advocates wholesale spraying of insecticides and simply wiping out the basis of the food chain simply for my enjoyment, however insecticides when judiciously used offer huge benefits for the health of humans and animals alike. Last I checked malaria isn't good for any mammal. Dengue hemorrhagic fever is also pretty bad.

But, But, Nature is a kind, nurturing womb like, fairy tale where lions talk and pumas are soft and cuddely! Penguins do dance routines and animals talk in NYC accents (when needed for comedic effect)!
ANNND that info for DDT is Where again?

Nature is an uncaring, incessant and relentless B (rhymes with itch), it is constantly trying to reassert it's order, that of survival of the fittest, and even then it makes no guarantees that those who do survive derive any joy from the process.

Just like a gazelle fawn in the mouth of a lioness on any of those nature shows, nature has no interest in your wants, aspirations or ambitions what it wants to do is kill you quickly sometimes, slowly other times, other times it wants you to stay alive so you can contemplate your utter lack of importance while some apex predator slowly devours the tender juicier parts of your internal organs before you completely bleed out.

I am an environmentalist because I realize I am part of the natural system, however I also realize that abandoning technology sacrifices every survival advantage I have, and puts me on a less than equal footing with animals that have thousands of years of evolution developing sharp teeth, claws, and powerful muscles. I have opposable thumbs and a brain that's way larger than necessary, if I choose not to use my brain all I'm left with is opposable thumbs which are F-ing useless when a stronger better armed predator comes along.

im not going to claim to be an expert but i know what they told us they were spraying when i was in school. small town people think small there, who knows maybe the administrators didnt know what they were talking about but it was repeated every time it was scheduled.

You sure they weren't spraying Deet which is an insect repellant.

Judicious use of pesticides can be a good thing, but the ecosystem is complex, and if we do so without paying attention to the effects, we lose. DDT almost wiped out our predatory birds, just as predicted. I never saw an Osprey in Oregon or Washington between 1967 and 1982, now they are fairly common, along with eagles. This all followed the warning, pretty much exactly, that Rachel Carson gave. When the Columbia river was made part of the National Estuary System over ten years ago they were still finding eagles on the Columbia that were not able to successfully produce an egg with firm enough shell to produce young. DDT was banned in 1972. They are still finding DDE in eagles shells on the Columbia. DDE is a breakdown product of DDT. Banning DDT was the right thing to do. It may have been possible to use it to a limited degree, if it were not the human condition to plant their head in a dark place and proceed without regard to the collateral damage, and to deny its existence when it is pointed out to them.

Maybe he knew the mouse was carring plague fleas and was trying to save the cats life by sacrificing himself? Maybe the cat is a supercat and after we kill off each other the cats will evolve and rule the world and this man will be a legendary hero to them and he will have tall statues erected in his honor.

ok, maybe he was simply a idiot.

When the cats rule the world, will they still lick themselves?

You sure they weren't spraying Deet which is an insect repellant.

considering people are saying DDT has been banned for a long time, i am likely wrong. im simply repeating what i was told growing up. i do know it was a poison though, it was not difficult to find large piles of dead insects the day after the spray truck would roll through.

Im amazed that with all the fecal matter I crawl through in crawlspaces, barns, sheds.. Etc I haven't contracted anything.

And I can guarantee you, Ive been in some very infested conditions.
Foreclosed houses are the worst. The crawlspaces look like someone opened a zoo down there and forgot about it.

When the cats rule the world, will they still lick themselves?

Cats already rule the world. They lick themselves to demonstrate this.

Cats lick themselves because they can, and if some of you could lick yourselves I suspect you'd never leave the house! :s0131:

If/when cats truly rule the world, they will have dogs do all the licking. ;)

My city-bred neighbor, after 2 years of uninformed medical treatment and a very close call with MR Death discovered he had advanced Lyme disease due to his habit of riding a dirt bike through thick brush and tall grass near his home.
Apparently Lyme Disease has moved westwards through the Columbia River Gorge towards Portland.
Again; DDT would have stopped this horrible disease in it's tracks. PS there is NO evidence that DDT harmed the environment and there IS evidence to it's positive effects

More things exaggerated for political agendas.
We practically bathed in DDT growing up on the farm with no ill effects.
Look at gasoline now. Half the station attendants wear synthetic gloves and seem to be scared of gas
on their hands. We used it as a handwash to remove the grease after working on the car or tractor.
Did that for years.
The truly dangerous one is mercury. No not from man, but it constantly washes down from the cascade range.
It is naturally occurring in cinnabar. It is accumulative and builds up in the fish in the Willamette valley and the lower Columbia.
That is why we won't eat any fish from either area, except migratory fish like Salmon and Steelhead.
Stopping the use of DDT has caused more harm than good.

More things exaggerated for political agendas.
We practically bathed in DDT growing up on the farm with no ill effects.
Look at gasoline now. Half the station attendants wear synthetic gloves and seem to be scared of gas
on their hands. We used it as a handwash to remove the grease after working on the car or tractor.
Did that for years.
The truly dangerous one is mercury. No not from man, but it constantly washes down from the cascade range.
It is naturally occurring in cinnabar. It is accumulative and builds up in the fish in the Willamette valley and the lower Columbia.
That is why we won't eat any fish from either area, except migratory fish like Salmon and Steelhead.
Stopping the use of DDT has caused more harm than good.

Migratory or not - those fish consume some mercury. It gets into the food chain because of the insect life that eats on the stream bottoms are what forms the largest food group for fish from the time they hatch, until they die or migrate to sea and turn more toward larger protein sources like smaller fish, shell fish (another source of mercury anyway) etc. The mercury bioaccumulates because even if a fish gets big enough to switch from an insect diet to a fish/crustacean diet, the smaller fish still eat a lot of insects. That's why tuna is known for high levels of mercury - their prey accumulate it in their bodies, and the tuna eat a lot of prey fish.

Pretty sad that one of the otherwise healthiest food sources can still do you in, if you eat enough of it, because of the mercury.

And hey, all those migratory salmon and steelhead and tuna we get in Oregon's waters are out there growing up and swimming thousands of miles away, and swimming and eating in the plume of radioactive waste water from Fukashima. It's a short matter of time until we won't be able to safely eat anything that's lived in the ocean, at least until you've run your Geiger counter over it first. And you'll still get mercury accumulation.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top