Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Mann in central Oregon contracts Plague

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by ernurse, Aug 5, 2013.

1. ernurse

ernurse molalla oregon Active Member

Interesting article, can find it on KATU.com, my copying and pasting fu is weak.

2. Blaylocke

Blaylocke Lewis County Active Member

Two of my former coworkers were in a turbine pit on another job and both caught a flesh eating bacteria/virus and are both currently in the hospital. :paranoid: Don't send me to the pit, boss! There's some nasty stuff in some unusual places.

3. Kevinkris

Kevinkris Aloha Well-Known Member

the guy contracted the plague by trying to save a mouse from a feral cat... he must be an obama worshiper. i mean, who else would try to deny a meal to the one who earned it?

in all seriousness, why would you do that?

rocky3, timac, Burt Gummer and 17 others like this.
  4. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

Just read last week that a squirrel with the plague was found in kali,
    in the natl forest. Sounds exciting, I wonder if there might be a few in the
    dc area?

5. Kevinkris

one can only hope, i would prefer it just stay in the government buildings though.

ocarolan and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine....

Brutus Out

7. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

Maybe he knew the mouse was carring plague fleas and was trying to save the cats life by sacrificing himself? Maybe the cat is a supercat and after we kill off each other the cats will evolve and rule the world and this man will be a legendary hero to them and he will have tall statues erected in his honor.

ok, maybe he was simply a idiot.

8. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

PETA will be erecting statues to this nut until the end of time! I wonder if he had a nice soy protein dinner for the poor kitty.
    Any of you ex-military remember your plague shots? They were real special!

9. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

Plague hasn't gone away just because people arn't contracting it. The squirrels in california are a reservoir for yersina pestis, wild animals all over the western US carry tularemia, brucellosis, and a whole host of other nasties you simply don't want to be involved with. This is part of the reason when I go hunting I am very careful when handling and butchering any kills, and game meat is not allowed into the house until it has been cut to serving size and placed in a vacuum sealed bag (where it will stay until consumption).

Oddly enough, the idiot may have saved the cat from getting the disease, cats are affected more severely than humans by y. pestis, and are more likely to get it, and spread it to humans (fleas from the rodent infect cat, cat brings infected fleas home). While smallpox may be in the past, we do not live in the hygienic world people like to believe as most of the old "population decimating" diseases are still out there and primed for a comeback.

While I won't get on a high horse about immunizing children, it's miopic to think the diseases we still immunize for are "gone" or that they can be prevented by "good diet", as it turns out there are millions of people over history who suffered horribly and died because of pertussis, measles, rubella, and polio. And then there's the diseases we defeated just by removing the vectors, typhus was one of the great success stories... it killed tens of thousands during WW2, and right afterwards by spraying everything with DDT we wiped out lice, bedbugs, and most of the common infection vectors. However bedbugs are on the rise, and so is murine typhus.

When you know what's going on, the world can be a down-right f'ing scary place when it comes to disease. These days "public health" is more worried about fast food, smoking, and coca-cola, and are completely ignoring their job of actually making sure the stuff that can wipe us out is being kept at bay.

orygun, Sgt Nambu, Swedish K and 5 others like this.
  10. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

Eastern OR harbors plague due to the high numbers of rodents. The virus is in droppings and even urine which becomes airborne in dry climates. I am exposed to 'rodent dust' quite often, it is in every barn, shed, old auto, lumber pile on every farm, in every back yard in the Great Basin thanks to the PPL that outlawed effective rodent poisons and DDT,,, Greenies

Unintended Consequences

Someone always pays the piper

Usually it is an innocent, this time it was a Darwinian Moment

11. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

Well, the good thing is that the Plague isn't the worst you can get from those vermin. Deer mice can carry Hantavirus which I never want to catch.

12. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

My city-bred neighbor, after 2 years of uninformed medical treatment and a very close call with MR Death discovered he had advanced Lyme disease due to his habit of riding a dirt bike through thick brush and tall grass near his home.
    Apparently Lyme Disease has moved westwards through the Columbia River Gorge towards Portland.
    Again; DDT would have stopped this horrible disease in it's tracks. PS there is NO evidence that DDT harmed the environment and there IS evidence to it's positive effects

13. Kevinkris

DDT is a terrible poison. i remember growing up in florida and they would go through the streets spraying it every 3 months; with a truck especially made for spraying it. we knew to go inside when we see it coming and not to go outside for the rest of the day/or night. we would still get sick every time. DDT is just a way to change the problem.

14. Solomon

Solomon Vancouver Active Member

That's because you don't have the plague... yet.

15. erudne

Could you tell us what year this happened?
    In my memory DDT was banned in the 1960's
    It seems strange that you could have been sprayed with such a terrible poision as a child and yet still be here to talk about it 50 years later

16. Kevinkris

it is still sprayed in florida every year. its banned for use on crops, not the streets sadly enough. it could be only the county i grew up in i hope its not state wide.

17. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Ahhh....no it isn't. It is no longer registered for use in the United States.

18. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

That must be over by Mann Lake.

19. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

What an idiot! He is lucky the feral cat didn't turn on him, bite him and give him a staph infection - like one did to my X mother in law many years ago, and she almost lost a hand over it. The correct way to save a mouse from a feral cat is with a shotgun - then you get them both!

Kruejl, rocky3, erudne and 5 others like this.
  20. Kevinkris

im not going to claim to be an expert but i know what they told us they were spraying when i was in school. small town people think small there, who knows maybe the administrators didnt know what they were talking about but it was repeated every time it was scheduled.