JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm pipe dreaming of getting some rough land in Eastern Oregon. For buildings I was thinking of Shipping contaiers half buried in the ground with the excavated dirt put on top of the container and replanted. Then it dawned on me that such structures probably could be found as old ammo bunkers. How does one go about finding such bunkers? I know about Umatilla and the back scatter radar site out Chritmas Valley way but there has to other bunkers out there somewhere.

I am not an expert, but my impression is that those were Quonset huts that were covered with dirt. They are essentially a bottomless corrugated culvert made with bolt-together plates. Nowadays you will need a real foundation, which could be anything from a reinforced slab with thickened edges up to real footings like a stick-built house. The internet has many sellers of quonset hut kits.

I'm pipe dreaming of getting some rough land in Eastern Oregon. For buildings I was thinking of Shipping contaiers half buried in the ground with the excavated dirt put on top of the container and replanted. Then it dawned on me that such structures probably could be found as old ammo bunkers. How does one go about finding such bunkers? I know about Umatilla and the back scatter radar site out Chritmas Valley way but there has to other bunkers out there somewhere.
As I recall, Umatilla was the nation's storage facility for chemical weapons and they had to build an incinerator to destroy them. I would not want anything to do with containers from that area.

As I recall, Umatilla was the nation's storage facility for chemical weapons and they had to build an incinerator to destroy them. I would not want anything to do with containers from that area.

Yep, I'm not looking to move to Umatilla, but the bunkers are cool anyway. I know the whole of eastern oregon was a training area during WWII and there are bunkers up and down the coast. Camp White somewhere near Medford has bunkers they used for training to take out enemy pill boxes. Also the main lodge at Sunriver was the headquarters for the maneuvers. I'm guessing that scattered out there somewhere are smaller bunkers or underground magazines that they kept the training ammo in, you know mortar ammo near the mortar pits and stuff like that.

I once met a guy in North Plains who had tried the buried shipping container idea. He contacted the company I worked for looking for solutions on how to stop in from collapsing in on itself.

They are engineered to be stacked, not buried.

-E-

My idea isn't to have an EOTWAWKI Bunker. More like a low impact, easy to heat and cool secure Hobbit house. Way out in the sticks off grid, on enough land to get land owner preference points.

My idea isn't to have an EOTWAWKI Bunker. More like a low impact, easy to heat and cool secure Hobbit house. Way out in the sticks off grid, on enough land to get land owner preference points.
This is the most realistic and achievable goal without some serious background in engineering or extremely high mechanical adeptuity.
Most people can't change the brushes on a regular AC motor, or understand power generation without being able to just buy a DIY "kit".. nevermind the impossibility of being able to pick up a working knowledge with radiation. Even if by chance you're a nuclear engineer by trade, there is the aspect of making/up keeping equipment with only whats available on hand

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top