JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I went to the sheriff's office this morning to do a background check .

And to say hi to the wonderful Ladies that work there & to show them my German Shepherd Puppy because you may not know this but I think most of them are partial to GSD's LOL

And I was told If you do not have your conceal carry permit you are required by law to have a mental health Evalution before you can receive your handgun .

who does it I don't know, is there a cost, again I don't know.

I left the paperwork with her she said they would mail it back to me when complete pass or fail not my problem.

I would say this tho If you have your conceal carry permit in washington don't let it expire

This is in Washington State

Last Edited:
Never heard of this "requirement" before. Makes me wonder what's up. I agree if this were the TRUTH the anti's would be way too happy all over the media. Have a friend who recently obtained his CCW in Vancouver and never a mention/requirement of a mental health check as part of the process he went through. Color me dubious.

Whether it REALLY is a requirement or not is immaterial.
If the impression that it is dissuades someone from applying satisfies our anti-freedom government masters!!!!

Sheldon

I went to the sheriff's office this morning to do a background check .

And to say hi to the wonderful Ladies that work there & to show them my German Shepherd Puppy because you may not know this but I think most of them are partial to GSD's LOL

And I was told If you do not have your conceal carry permit you are required by law to have a mental health Evalution before you can receive your handgun .

who does it I don't know, is there a cost, again I don't know.

I left the paperwork with her she said they would mail it back to me when complete pass or fail not my problem.

I would say this tho If you have your conceal carry permit in washington don't let it expire

This is in Washington State

What was the context of this visit? Did you go there for a UBC to do a private firearm sale and transfer it to another individual?

So the Sheriff's office doesn't have the same access to the required NICS info that an FFL does when they call in for a UBC? I was under the impression that the new laws (OR & WA) required all private transfers to go through an FFL complete with a Form-4437.... you know, so it WON'T be used to build a defacto gun registry. o_O

Never heard of this.
Maybe something through that county?

Doesn't oregon subject you to a mental history check through the background?
Maybe thats something washington is doing now?

Maybe you just look crazy?

My guess would be that they are checking the data bases for a non-voluntary admittance to a mental health facility. The complaint has been that these court records have not been included in the NICS system because of under reporting.

There is no state law requiring a mental check for a firearm purchase in WA. WA is a MUST issue if you pass a fingerprint/FBI background check, more detailed than NICS, and a local sheriff doesn't get to make up their own rules. Either the sheriff's office made this up, or the OP has.

I am thinking some bureaucrat decided to verbalize their own wording about what was involved in the BGC/etc. so make it sound that way.

Since they didn't schedule an appt. with a mental health professional/etc., this probably meant they were just checking available records.

You have to remember, many people who go into public service do so because it gives them a sense of power over others, and/or they eventually develop that attitude. I knew people in the military that were like this. Hell, I know people who go into management in private industry because they like that feeling.

Generally, IMO, it is because they lack that confidence in themselves - so they seek what is missing inside by seeking the power over others.:rolleyes:

I envision if it went like this, then maybe....

inter.jpg

inter.jpg

There is a mental health portion of the background check when you buy at a dealer or apply for a CPL. It is basically to check if you have ever been involuntarily committed and are disqualified from possessing a firearm. Maybe the misstated what is done or maybe they didn't understand it.

There is no requirement to do a mental health evaluation.
Mental health checks are part of NICS in WA. There is no evaluation.
Frankly I'm surprised at how many WA gun owners posted with something other than certainty.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top